Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    webbing

XLC owners - do you use your over cover?

I'll probably be ordering mine on Friday. Thinking of going with the camo, because, well, it's camo. :-)

But I'm wondering about the over cover. I think I might feel a bit closed in, and really feel like the "bear burrito" we all joke about. I get that it adds a bit of warmth, but I'm worried I'll just feel like I'm in a extra large body bag.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Not had the weather to use mine yet. I too have that same feeling though. But tbh I had the same issue when I started hammocking and I got over it quick once the comfort hit. I figure this will be similar.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I had that apprehension too but was very surprised that it felt very roomy and I expect to use it pretty regularly this winter.

I guess I'll have a lot to learn about condensation.

David

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Very happy with mine.
    Not too confining.

A little more difficult to zip shut because it doesn't give like the net but it's no big deal.

The top really helps with blocking any kind of breeze. It does raise the temp 10+ degrees inside.

I haven't seen the same condensation issues as others. My use has been limited to the mid 40's to low 60's thus far.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    The coldest I've been down to is about 48-50*. I'm hoping to try winter camping in January, but between my 20* tq and uq, and a good tarp with doors, I think that'll be enough.

I'm also possibly moving to LA, which will means not camping in 0* weather.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    I got my XLC this spring and haven't camped in cold enough temps to try the top cover yet. I'm leaving tomorrow morning for four nights in the ADKs with night time lows forecasted in the high 20's on Wed. night and low 30's on Thurs. night, but I will still be using the net... I like the visibility. Even the net is bound to hold some heat in. I'll save the solid top cover for winter.

I have tried it in the back yard, and it doesn't feel confining at all; quite roomy, actually!

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    That's the other thing - part of the draw for me with the XLC is the visibility.

I emailed Brandon, and I can't order a top cover later. So if I think I'd ever want one, I have to get it now. I'm just at a point where I'm getting rid of a lot of accumulated junk that I said at the time "I'll just keep this, in case I ever need it...".

Desmobob - enjoy the trip! I'm going camping somewhere this weekend w/ my ground-dwelling brother and his wife. SO many places are booked, and because of their work schedule we can only go Saturday into Sunday. Might head into western NJ - Stokes, or Voorhees.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 with weathershield
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Great thread. I hope to order an XLC sometime in the near future and I've had the same questions about the cover. I don't need the extra length of the XLC, as I'm only 5' 6", but I want the added visibility. One of my favorite things about being in a hammock is feeling like you are truly sleeping outdoors and not zipped up in a tent. I wonder just how much I will actually use the top cover. That is a bummer that you can't order the top cover later if you change your mind about needing one. That is good to know though! I'm glad you asked that question.
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    @RadicalHope - yeah, it's the "downside" to not ordering something mass produced. lol. They want to make sure the top cover would fit. But I'm the same way - I like the hammock because I don't feel constrained. IDK if I'd want to zip myself up into a bag. And of course in my head I see Yogi pointing me out to his buddy saying "Look - takeout!".

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 with weathershield
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Yeah, that makes a ton of sense that because it is not mass produced, there is no way to guarantee a cover made later would fit your actual hammock. I suppose I will probably go ahead and order mine with it included. I guess I'd rather have it and not use it much, versus not have it and one day wish I did. I dunno...

And yeah, I hear ya about being zipped up in a bag like a burrito. I hung my tarp way too low once, and it was really close to the top of my hammock. When I got in that night, I felt like I was all closed in and did not like it at all. Of course, I was in a single nest ENO, so I was fairly confined on the sides too. From the looks of it, and owners' accounts, the WBBB is way more spacious inside, LOL. More like a grande burrito, I suppose. ;-)

Good luck with your decision. I'm interested to see what you decide to order.
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast