Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

Thumbs up Claytor Vs DD Hammock-Video Included

When I first saw the Claytor Jungle Hammock I noticed that it looked very similar to the DD Frontline Hammock. Here are some specs to compare the two models

Claytor Jungle Hammock
    • 2.4 lb
    • 13 feet webbing suspension (each side)
    • Double layer
    • Bungee cord for bug net
    • Loops for bug net, for use with a stick
    • 9.8 Feet long and 4 feet wide
    • Cost $120 without fly, $150 with fly (USD)

DD Frontline Hammock
    • 2.1lb
    • 16 feet webbing suspension (each side)
    • Double layer
    • Bungee Cord for bug net
    • Loops for bug net with tent pole
    • 8 Feet long and 4.5 feet wide
    • Cost $95 without fly, $163 with fly (USD)

I slept in both these hammocks back to back so I could get a fair comparison on how each of them slept for me. I found the Claytor Hammock to be surprisingly comfortable. In the past I have used the DD Travel Hammock and really didn’t prefer it, since the two are similar in design I assumed they would sleep the same, I was wrong. I had a fantastic night in the Claytor hammock and liked most of its features. I found the bug netting to be exceptional and completely out of the way. I was able to quickly find a comfortable position and sleep through the night. The DD Frontline Hammock was not as good of an experience. The bug netting was saggy and resting on my head from time to time making me uncomfortable and almost giving me a claustrophobic feeling. I did however prefer the double sided entrance in this system. I found it really difficult to get comfortable in this model and it turned out to be a less then favorable sleep.
    Here is a list of some of the noticeable differences between the two hammocks from my perspective;

Bug Netting
    I found with the DD Frontline that there was almost too much material and the bug netting was resting on my face from time to time. This was a little irritating but not a deal breaker. The DD Frontline also uses a sealed pocket that you insert a small tent pole into to spread the bug netting out. It would be difficult to jam a stick in there for a replacement, not impossible but again a little frustrating. The bug netting is held up by a bungee cord
    The Claytor bug netting on the other hand was great, it was out of my face and provided a lot of room in the Hammock. I was able to sit up in the camping hammock and not feel that the netting was in my way. Instead of the pocket like the DD Hammock, there is a series of loops that and the last loop at each end is sewn closed on one side. This makes it easy to insert a small stick into the loops to spread the bug netting out. It is all held up by a bungee cord.

Suspension
    Each of the hammocks use a similar “shoe string” webbing suspension. I call it a “shoe sting” suspension mainly because it reminds me of an oversized shoe string and they recommended you use that same knot to tie it to a tree that you would to tie up your laces. The DD Frontline Hammock has three feet more suspension than the Claytor Hammock.

Double Layer
    Each of the camping Hammocks comes with a double layer that you can use to insulate your hammock. The Claytor Jungle Hammock double layer is accessible from inside the bug netting. I prefer this as it is easier to access while in the hammock if you needed to make adjustments. The DD Jungle Hammock double layer is located outside the bug netting so you would have to unzip your netting to have access to it.

Entrance
    The DD Frontline Hammock has the ability to enter from both sides through a double zipper. This is extremely convenient and I love it. There is nothing more frustrating than setting up at night only to find that your entrance is on the wrong side. The Claytor Jungle Hammock only has a single sided double zipper entrance.

Construction
    The DD Frontline Hammock was made very well with no loose threads or defects. This speaks a lot to the detail they put into their products. I pulled off a good hand full of loose threads from the Claytor Jungle Hammock. The threads came from basically every part of the hammock. It doesn't seem to have compromised the hammock at all but it was worth mentioning I think.

Last edited by BackPackHiker; 10-08-2013 at 13:11.

• + New Posts