Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.9/1.1 Camo
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Yeti for winter hangs

Now, I'm going to preface this thread by saying that I live in southern california, so when I say winter-hang-brrr-thats-cold I mean temperatures in the 20-35 degree range if I'm in the Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear area. None of that minus-what degree stuff you guys do in really cold places!!

My Mamba and Yeti 3-season setup has been just awesome over the summer. I'd like to keep getting out on the trail over the winter, and I'm trying to see if I'll still be fine with a 20deg setup or if I need a warmer TQ or UQ or both. I've been using refletix pad for below knee, but I think I'd need to use ccf for lower temps.

For yeti owners, are you comfortable at 20deg temperatures? Is that with mamba 3-season or..? What's the coldest you've been with Yeti UQ and still comfortable?

Many thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by agent00111 View Post
    Now, I'm going to preface this thread by saying that I live in southern california, so when I say winter-hang-brrr-thats-cold I mean temperatures in the 20-35 degree range if I'm in the Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear area. None of that minus-what degree stuff you guys do in really cold places!!

My Mamba and Yeti 3-season setup has been just awesome over the summer. I'd like to keep getting out on the trail over the winter, and I'm trying to see if I'll still be fine with a 20deg setup or if I need a warmer TQ or UQ or both. I've been using refletix pad for below knee, but I think I'd need to use ccf for lower temps.

For yeti owners, are you comfortable at 20deg temperatures? Is that with mamba 3-season or..? What's the coldest you've been with Yeti UQ and still comfortable?

Many thanks in advance!
    I have both a 3 season Yeti and a Winter Yeti. Once it goes lower than 30 degrees I switch to the Winter Yeti. I have used the 3 season Yeti down to 20 to 25 degrees and got chills and CBS which I'd have to remedy by sticking the foam pad from my backpack or piece of reflectix in the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've used my 20 degree Mamba and Yeti to their ratings and was ok but I did feel the occasional bit of chill. I am a warm sleeper though. You may want to at least upgrade the bottom quilt. I don't know how unnpredictably cold it might get for you but its better to have more of a comfort margin IMO.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    I have both a 3 season Yeti and a Winter Yeti. Once it goes lower than 30 degrees I switch to the Winter Yeti. I have used the 3 season Yeti down to 20 to 25 degrees and got chills and CBS which I'd have to remedy by sticking the foam pad from my backpack or piece of reflectix in the hammock.
    Same as Pizza
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    So is the consensus that the 3 season Yeti isn't able to keep one comfortable at its rated temp?
    Any success stories?
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I might be mistaken but i think the older and newer yeti3's are rated different. I bought mine 4 years ago and i thought they were rated for 30, then everyone else started bring out 20 degree 3 season UQ's and brandon started adding a bit more down and rating it his 20. I could be wrong with this, i just remember it this way. I've had mine down below freezing but i wouldn't be able to do 20.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Yeti for winter hangs

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    I might be mistaken but i think the older and newer yeti3's are rated different. I bought mine 4 years ago and i thought they were rated for 30, then everyone else started bring out 20 degree 3 season UQ's and brandon started adding a bit more down and rating it his 20. I could be wrong with this, i just remember it this way. I've had mine down below freezing but i wouldn't be able to do 20.
    Could be although I have seen the newer ones and they didn't seem to have any extra down in them compared to mine. Mine is an older model that I got discounted from Brandon because it was from his prototype run with some less than perfect stitching. I still like it though. I have taken mine down to around 20F to 25F and gotten CBS. Since I have a winter Yeti I just pack that once it gets below 30F.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.9/1.1 Camo
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Hey guys, thank you for the great input. I'm going to go ahead and order a winter yeti, and switch out from my 3-season yeti to that when I think it will be under 30deg. I'll keep my 20deg warbonnet black mamba TQ, and just regulate with additional clothes (versus getting the 0deg mamba TQ) as needed.

I think that 20deg is a fair rating for the WB 3-season Yeti, but to me that's the low boundary. So if the weather forecast has a low of 20, I'd prefer to have some margin with a winter yeti in case it goes below that.

And again, here in San Diego we'll complain about very cold weather in the mid-50's..

Images
    We did add a couple oz of down a few years ago to bump it from 30 deg to 20 deg.

The temp ratings are based on an "average" sleeper, so the numbers for a cold or warm sleeper would vary by 10deg in either direction (10 for a warm sleeper or 30 for a cold sleeper), these ratings also assume you have an appropriately warm leg pad being used with the yeti and appropriate wind protection (tarp)

Images
    I've pushed a 20* full length uq with a 0* tq down to -25* and was comfortable. Besides being dressed right and preheating my quilts, I used a vapor barrier bag liner, and beneath the hammock I piled pine needles all of the way up to the uq. You would be fine with your setup if you supplemented it. But then again, it's always fun buying new gear...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast