Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hennessy Hammock Cold Help!

Hi,
    I am very new to Hammocks and recently spent 10 days in Washington State Freezing at night! I thought a Space blanket and 0 degree sleeping bag would be enough. WRONG!
    I have been using my Expedition and Ultralite Backpacker in 70+ weather and love it but this is a huge difference. I am thinking of buying the 4 season shelter System and over cover with the bubble pad but want a little feedback before doing it. My budget is tight but I can afford the shelter system and overcover. Would it be better if I buy the monsoon rainfly to?
    At first I feel warm but I always wake up shivering and under me feels like theres no insulation at all even with the space blanket under the sleeping bag.
    Anyone have advice on what works best?
    I have a trip coming up and would like to be warm in 0-15 degree weather.
    Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    For those temps I'm not entirely confident the Super Shelter will keep you warm. You'll be way better off with a 0* UQ. For the price of what you're willing to spend on the SS and the bubble pad and over cover you should be able to pick up an UQ. That can always be supplemented with a cheap walmart pad for a lil more warmth.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I would highly recommend an UQ. You will notice a significant difference with the UQ.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 w/net,Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY D&Syn TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    CinchB & WS,Dutch

Cold in HH

+1 on getting a UQuilt; also consider adding a top cover and an undercover..you can buy a seperate undercover from 2QZQ; these items will Greatly increase warmth. As for the Monsoon tarp it has removable doors which block the wind but it is a very Minimal Coverage Tarp-Short Ridgeline & sides. I prefer a Torso length or 3/4 UQ as it is less bulky & lighter.

You will need a larger tarp to cut any air movement under your hammock. Moving air will rob you of any heat that your body is making. Set up your hammock in a sheltered area, set up your larger tarp so it is as close to the ground as possible and use natural materials to bank up against any open areas. Leaves, pine straw, even snow will work. I haven't ever used an SS in weather that cold so can't speak to how effective that would be. A down UQ will help quite a bit with the larger tarp. Also be sure to eat shortly before going to hammock so that your body has some fuel to make heat throughout the night. Make up a nalgene bottle with hot water and throw that down between your legs. On your budget, you will need to be very creative in order to remain warm at those temps. I don't think an SS will be your total answer.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jawbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    +1 from above, gotta reduce the airflow going underneath you. I also am on a low budget (poor college kid) but the combo of tarp staked low to ground with under quilt has helped. I also like to make a "nest" out of dry leaves or pine needles that my hammock rests in. Just be sure not to compress your under quilt if it's down. Hope that helps.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I can echo what others have said. At the temps you plan on hanging you should look into a good UQ. Personally I would also have a thin CCF pad just in case.

You also have to have a tarp pulled down tight and set up so the wind does not blow under you. I have frozen my butt off in 40F temps with wind moving under my 20F UQ so blocking that wind is paramount to a warm sleep.

In my HH in cold weather I also do not use the hammock tie outs. I allow the UQ to wrap completely around me in order to hold the heat next to me.

A couple of other things you don't mention but I will say.
    1) Hat, have one, wear one to sleep in
    2) Socks or down booties, wear either clean loose fitting wool socks or booties to bed
    3) I also toss a PL over my ridgeline and tie it to the sides of my hammock making a bit of a tent inside with my head outside the PL (condensation sucks)
    4) Hot water bottle of some kind. I use a Nagalene bottle with boiling water, stuffed inside a freezer bag, then placed inside a wool sock. I keep it in my groin area. It also means I have nice warm water for breakfast. I put it into my hammock about 30 minutes before I am ready to jump in. That way my quilts are nice and warm.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    There are some folks here who have not posted yet but have a lot of experience with cold weather in a Hennessy. I would wait to see what they say about the super shelter. There is a cheering section who always advocate under quilts. They do work well if set up properly but there are other options that also work and often cost less and/or are less fussy.

Part of your problem is relying on the sleeping bag for bottom insulation. They do not provide much as your body weight flattens out the insulation significantly reducing it's effectiveness. That is where the idea of pads and a top quilt came from. The pad is your bottom insulation.

You may want a different fly but I would look at your options. There are other one's that may suite you better.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    I did four days and nights in early September here in Canada
    And the night time temps were in the low to med 40's
    And I had a ccf pad a light sleeping bag
    And a ranger blanket and was nice and warm
    All night
    Ccf pad and ranger blanket under me and sleeping bag as a TQ
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I have a HH Expd UL & and a Super Shelter, I've been OK to around 26* adding the space blanket. I would think you'd need a SS and an additional under quilt to hit the 0* mark. And if you anticipate 0* then you should likely plan for colder. I have a 3/4 UQ that I hope to test in conjunction with the SS this winter but have no results to share. Others have take the SS colder but if I recall they supplement with clothing and additional insulation.

Search for HHSS and look for post by Billy Bob he has a great deal of wisdom and experience and in previous discussion has linked to others that have taken the SS well under 0*.

As for the tarp, I have a monsoon with doors and consider it a warm weather tarp due to it's small footprint, I'd be mad about the purchase but I bought it during their sale last Oct. I would look at how the cold weather gang uses large tarps hung low and touching the ground to create a tent (bad word here ) like structure.

Also look at socks to create a micro environment around your hammock and insulation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast