Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Bottom entry? JRB Winter Nest .

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/winter-nest/
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryDaddyBird View Post
    Hi,
    I am very new to Hammocks and recently spent 10 days in Washington State Freezing at night! I thought a Space blanket and 0 degree sleeping bag would be enough. WRONG!
    I have been using my Expedition and Ultralite Backpacker in 70+ weather and love it but this is a huge difference. I am thinking of buying the 4 season shelter System and over cover with the bubble pad but want a little feedback before doing it. My budget is tight but I can afford the shelter system and overcover. Would it be better if I buy the monsoon rainfly to?
    At first I feel warm but I always wake up shivering and under me feels like theres no insulation at all even with the space blanket under the sleeping bag.
    Anyone have advice on what works best?
    I have a trip coming up and would like to be warm in 0-15 degree weather.
    Thanks everyone!
    You have classic hammock induced cold back or butt syndrome: CBS, a well known problem around here! It is almost guaranteed in the situation you describe, most especially with a down sleeping bag or any TQ, a little less so with poorly compressing synthetic bags, but even then you probably need something for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bhinson View Post
    I did four days and nights in early September here in Canada
    And the night time temps were in the low to med 40's
    And I had a ccf pad a light sleeping bag
    And a ranger blanket and was nice and warm
    All night
    Ccf pad and ranger blanket under me and sleeping bag as a TQ
    That right there is your 1st, and cheap, solution. A cheap pad from WM will make you 30 or 40 *F warmer than you are without it, and 2 pads or a thicker will take you even way lower. But you may not like the overall comfort decrease, most people def do not, but some do fine with pads. And you will need a wider pad or a 2nd pad cut and layered over the other pad so that it forms a "T" shape, to keep your shoulders warm. Plus you will need to figure out how to stay on top of the pad in your single layer ( no pad pocket) hammock. But even if you feel the overall comfort is way decreased, you will be much warmer! And it is cheap and as close as your nearest Wally world.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    I have a HH Expd UL & and a Super Shelter, I've been OK to around 26* adding the space blanket. I would think you'd need a SS and an additional under quilt to hit the 0* mark. And if you anticipate 0* then you should likely plan for colder. I have a 3/4 UQ that I hope to test in conjunction with the SS this winter but have no results to share. Others have take the SS colder but if I recall they supplement with clothing and additional insulation.

Search for HHSS and look for post by Billy Bob he has a great deal of wisdom and experience and in previous discussion has linked to others that have taken the SS well under 0*.

As for the tarp, I have a monsoon with doors and consider it a warm weather tarp due to it's small footprint, I'd be mad about the purchase but I bought it during their sale last Oct. I would look at how the cold weather gang uses large tarps hung low and touching the ground to create a tent (bad word here ) like structure.

Also look at socks to create a micro environment around your hammock and insulation.
    Thanks for the kind words, DW.

ADB(OP), As far as the HHSS goes, there are very many threads debating out that subject. Maybe start here and then search for more:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/....php?p=1039745

The HHSS used to be very unpopular here 5 or 6 years ago, but these days there are quite a number of happy users, though there are still a good sized number who have no use for it whatsoever. But lately I have been cautioning folks to look up threads about not being warm enough with down UQs. IOW, there can be a learning curve with either. I use both and have always been quite happy with both, though they have different pros and cons.

I think zero to 15 is, for me, a little much for the basic HHSS. For me, it is a 30F system. For some who like and use it it is more like 40F, while some take the basic one well below 30F(see poll). But zero is really pushing it for most. However, it is very easy to augment with clothing you are not sleeping in put down in the HHSS under the hammock. The lowest recorded using this approach is kwpapke( summer sleeping bag added in HHSS) plenty warm down to minus 27. Also, if you decide to order the HHSS ( might be available now on Oct sale if you are lucky) BE SURE to ask if the kidney/torso pads are still available. Very light weight, cheap, add a lot of warmth to basic HHSS. Using basic system plus these pads plus down vest and fleece jacket down below, items I would always have with me anyway but might not need to sleep in, I have been toasty at 14F, using no tarp in a 6F windchill. Could definitely have gone lower. Plus, you can still always add your CCF sit pad to any system for a whole lot of extra warmth!

Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I have not used the HHSS but I have seen it used down to about 20 and even lower on a Deep Jungle with an extra pad. If you go to the 1:30 mark of this trip report video Roche shows off his HHSS setup.

I am an UQ guy but the HHSS is a viable option especially in wet conditions. I am not sure I would combine the HHSS with a UQ. No experience with this just a gut feeling that the UQ would not work at its full potential. Also agree with everyone about not using tieouts with the UQ.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 DBL w/winter cover
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks to everyone for some awesome info! Seems an underquilt is the majority here. I have the zip version expedition but the ultralight backpacker is velcro bottom entry.
    I was looking at the deep jungle because the double layer bottom for holding the pad in place but I think I will be buying a few things for my Expedition first.

Heres what I got today.
    Coleman 0 degree sleepingbag
    Egg crate foam sleeping pad from walmart and a regular ozark blue foam pad from there too.
    Space blanket x3

Now I almost ordered the SS and overcover but been looking at UQ and cant decide.
    I have a safari deluxe so I can swap the tarp out but might just get a bigger tarp from somewhere to use.
    I also bought a fleece vest, and fleece socks to help i hope.
    anyone think if I buy the ss I will be fine in the 20-30 degree zone?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryDaddyBird View Post
    Thanks to everyone for some awesome info! Seems an underquilt is the majority here. I have the zip version expedition but the ultralight backpacker is velcro bottom entry.
    I was looking at the deep jungle because the double layer bottom for holding the pad in place but I think I will be buying a few things for my Expedition first.

Heres what I got today.
    Coleman 0 degree sleepingbag
    Egg crate foam sleeping pad from walmart and a regular ozark blue foam pad from there too.
    Space blanket x3

Now I almost ordered the SS and overcover but been looking at UQ and cant decide.
    I have a safari deluxe so I can swap the tarp out but might just get a bigger tarp from somewhere to use.
    I also bought a fleece vest, and fleece socks to help i hope.
    anyone think if I buy the ss I will be fine in the 20-30 degree zone?
    Yes. Especially if you are inside that sleeping bag and it is not down, or probably even if it is down or you use it as a quilt. Just make sure you know how to put the HHSS on correctly. Watch the HH videos or ask here if it seems confusing. Once on, leave it on until summer. If not warm at 20 or below just stuff whatever warm clothing you are not sleeping in down under the pad, that will add 10-30 degrees!

If you buy one, see if they still sell the extra kidney/torso pads! Well worth the weight, bulk and money!

Why 3 space blankets(SBs)? Make sure you use the space blanket on top of your HH pad, right under and next to your hammock and back, keep the SB warm to avoid condensation, and on top of all insulation to keep moisture out of the insulation. And make sure you use only the very light weight ( 2 oz or so) SBs, you don't want anything heavypulling your pad down away from your back.

I went with the Jack R Better Mt. Washington 3 for my HH Expedition Zip and had great service from them and Jack Tier one of the Jack's- spent lot's of time with me on the phone I highly recommend them.
    Give them a call. I ordered on a Tuesday and got my UQ on a Friday fast service.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I've used the HHSS, with undercover, underpad, and space blanket...along with a military issue ICW (15 deg bag) down to about 18 deg, with some pretty hefty winds. My tarp was the HH Hex.

If I were to push that system down to 0F, I'd augment it a good bit. I'd carry at least one additional fleece blanket to put into the undercover (under the space blanket) to give additional warmth.

Make sure that your 0F bag is actually a 0F bag...many cheap ones don't really keep you anywhere near comfortable down to those temps.

I've purchased a UQ...will be testing that out this winter.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ-DOES-IT View Post
    I went with the Jack R Better Mt. Washington 3 for my HH Expedition Zip and had great service from them and Jack Tier one of the Jack's- spent lot's of time with me on the phone I highly recommend them.
    Give them a call. I ordered on a Tuesday and got my UQ on a Friday fast service.
    Roger that. My MWs always work and keep me very warm. And just like you said, they have always been available to talk and shipping has always been very fast.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12