Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    In the woods I blend. In life I choose to stand out.
    Shug the Full of Hisself
    Understatement of the year?

I mostly blend. Tents come pretty bright, glad hammocks are more reasonably muted.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    I like to blend. I go out to neither bother or be bothered. Blending gives me the choice of being friendly or keep my solitude. But I do carry a couple of signaling devices for emergency needs. I have yet to loose my base camp so I don't bother to mark it.
    Mind over matter,
    if you don't mind, it don't matter

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    This is something I put a lot of thought into, since I think women in the woods have a little more to consider regarding safety. I like to be seen by hunters and have some type of visibility in the event of an emergency, but I prefer to blend when I am by hiking by myself or at campsites at night.

My daypack has a bright yellow rain cover built in, so when I am out this time of year I use that for visibility. I traded up my silverish cuben tarp for a camo one, and changed out the lines from nite-ize reflective to non-reflective zing-it except for the lower foot of the line. That way I won't trip over lines at night, but someone scanning the woods at night with a headlamp is less likely to see my camp. I frequently backpack with a large group, but really like my privacy at camp and this set up really works well.
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like to blend. Stealth isn't necessary here but I like peace and quiet and don't want people coming over for a look. I don't intentionally hide though. Plus it's nice to have the option to go stealth when traveling in areas you aren't really allowed to camp. I always have a big orange survival bag in case of emergency, plus if doubles as an emergency bivvy if the hanging or tent options really suck.

Edit: I don't use camo unless doing hunting that requires it, which isn't often.
    Last edited by Meggark; 10-11-2013 at 06:26.
    Cheers,

Mark

www.GyroForum.com - UK Based Autogyro Forum.

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    I try to become 1 with my surroundings...thus natural, muted colors....including camo where/when appropriate.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I do my best to blend in, so my gear has a lot of greens, blacks, and browns. The blending in isn't totlaly for me though. While I do like to find the quietness, including visual, I'm usually looking out FROM my hammock, not necessarily at it. The view is always better when lying down anyway. I also try to blend in for others. Having been on the viewing end of a gawdy setup and having it ruin my experience in the woods, I like to try to blend in so that I don't ruin someone else's solitude.

Thatg being said, I always wear my dingy orange ball cap. It's good to have something bright for rescue purposes and hunters usually won't shoot orange....usually.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I think that blending in is courteous to other campers. I figure people are there to look at nature not my tarp.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Ok well first off.
    -Most backpacking camp sites are designated, so blending does not prevent being noticed when the trail leads to camp sites.
    -If you are camping in non designated areas then blending can be preferred, and can reduce chances of being disturbed.

I do both, I love the military look but I also own bright colors, standing out is a safety advantage when camping in less populated areas, in places that getting lost is a possibility you want search and rescue to have a better chance of finding you.
    Only a fool thinks he will never need help in the back country.

I teach backpacking and this is just my 2 cents

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Not all camping is backpacking. In paddle camping camp sights are often visible for quite a ways across the water. It's a good idea to have something vivid and flashy with for signaling, but I don't need to be signaling all the time with bright gear.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi

Good reasons for Muted Colors -- even for peacocks like me!

I generally like standing out as much as possible -- just the kind of guy I am.

BUT ... when I went to buy my first HH, I found that I could get it in any color that I wanted -- so long as that color happened to be "Coyote Brown", or whatever their color is called.

At first I didn't like that (again, due to my preference for bright colors and generally standing out). But then I got to appreciating the benefits of "blending in". Among them:

- Often, when I'm hanging, I'm doing it in a place which isn't really intended for any sort of camping. I'm thinking that folks are less likely to complain if they don't notice my rig at all!

- Many of us are getting fancy expensive equipment. I'm thinking that it is less likely to "walk away" and/or be vandalized if folks don't notice it in the first place. On the other hand, the sort of mega-bright colors which otherwise attract me effectively "dare" folks to "do something" about it -- and many of the possible responses thereto negatively affect the hammocker in question.

So, (somewhat reluctantly and disappointingly) I'm officially on the side of muted colors for hammocks and hammock-associated gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast