Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images

condensation

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    That's possible too. I know BillyBob had some issues with condensation when he was hanging over a semi-permanent mud puddle on his property.
    Ya I'm wondering now if it might be that I'm in the humid south (ATL) and the humidity is increasing as spring is here. Also I think the couple times I set it up it had rained so the ground was wet still.

One other thing I've had trouble with is I can't seem to get the ridgeline tight on top. As in it isn't tight like this...
    I'm thinking I'm just afraid of over tightening the tarp, as I have already broken the d-rings on the ridgeline.

I know I've sort of hijacked this thread, but I just want to reinforce the fact that Brian over at OES really knows how to make a great tarp!

-Dman

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Not really, the OP asked about what the forum thought he should get. Pointing out potential pitfalls falls right into that realm IMO.

As for the ridge; I set it reasonably tight first, then set my ground ties. I end up with a slight bow in the ridgeline and it sets it pretty tight. I played drums on it one night when I was alone and bored in the woods. Kept waiting to see a conga line of forest critters.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Haha, well i'm wondering if the fig. 9's on the ridgeline cause me to overtighten it before I tie out the guylines. Do you use fig. 9's on your tarp?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yes, but I'm careful to not over-do them. Too easy with those things to really crank the tarp down. There is still some play in my ridge tie-outs when I start setting the ground tie-outs. Not a lot, but a little. By the time I'm done setting the ground ties, the ridge ties are pretty darn tight.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    good to know. I just set my tarp up in the backyard. I didn't get a good full pitch because I'm hanging in the corner of a fence, so I'm not really able to crank down the tieouts. Even thought I have it hung way above the hammock, it still is giving me PLENTY of coverage. This is definitely a great improvement over the fly that was on my hennessy.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmanhiker View Post
    I got my spinn deluxe a couple weeks ago. I had brian add 4 more tieouts (2 extra on each side). I've set it up multiple times and I have been very pleased with it, it gave me so much more room than my previous tarp! You can't go wrong the maccat!
    I'm planning on getting a MacCat Standard in the silnylon shortly. What extra tieouts did you have Brian add and why? I'm a newb. Also, I'm new to this. And to top it all off, I'm a bit of a hammock camping neophyte.

I can haz pix plz?

Edit: oh, and how much extra did the extra tieouts cost?

Thanks!
    -->dvis.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Dvisic,

IIRC, Dmanhiker had me add two tieouts to the perimeter edge parallel to the ridgeline (green arrows). Most people choose to add either panel tieouts centered in the tarp's body (red dot, for example), or a tieout or two along the perimeter like Dmanhiker.

For the Standard, I would say that either a single of panel tieout or single perimeter tieout would do just fine if you're looking to add a bit of extra stability in heavy winds. For huge tarps, they keep the tarp battened down in storms. For smaller, shaped tarps like the MacCat Standard, they do the same thing, mainly to keep the tarp off of the hammock.

Extra tieouts are a flat $4 per, regardless of location.

Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I would say that either a single of panel tieout or single perimeter tieout would do just fine if you're looking to add a bit of extra stability in heavy winds.
    When he says heavy winds, he really means it.... A 'standard' will hold up to a heck of a lot of wind before it needs extra reinforcement, given it's size.

I don't think extra tie-outs are needed until you get to the Ultra size, given proper pitching technique.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images
    The panel tieouts seem pretty appealing--I like the idea of pulling the tarp a bit away from the hammock. Still, I've yet to actually hang under a tarp. I'm imagining a touch of claustrophobia that may not actually be there.
    -->dvis.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    If you feel closed in, all you have to do is lower the hammock ridgeline away from the tarp ridgeline a little further. That opens up your view.

Keeping the ridgelines in close proximity is best for really foul weather, to get the most protection from blown precipitation.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast