Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

Cuban fiber/tape help please.

Hey guys it's viper
    I got my Cuban and my double sided 1inch Cuban tape in the mail and plan to start making my tarp tomorrow but I have a questin on the tape.

So I plan in taping the ridge line of the Cuban tarp so is their any time with this tape I need to weight before putting it under any stress?(setting it up and giving it a test?)
    Or does the tape just become strong imidently and don't have to weight?
    If anyone knows the answer to this would be really helpfull thanks guys
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Hey guys it's viper
    I got my Cuban and my double sided 1inch Cuban tape in the mail and plan to start making my tarp tomorrow but I have a questin on the tape.

So I plan in taping the ridge line of the Cuban tarp so is their any time with this tape I need to weight before putting it under any stress?(setting it up and giving it a test?)
    Or does the tape just become strong imidently and don't have to weight?
    If anyone knows the answer to this would be really helpfull thanks guys
    Though typically weight is one of, if not the main concern on this thread, I believe the word you want is, Wait. That being said, let me know how it goes with the Cuban fiber, and how much is this costing out of pocket? I am very curious to make a Cuban Fiber tarp, if the price is right and the project is manageable.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am not sure of your problem, but will attempt to answer anyway.
    If you are using 3M VHB tape to assemble your cuban fiber tarp, I can help. The VHB tape is pressure-sensitive. You must apply 10 psi pressure for several seconds to activate the adhesive. The adhesive gains most of its strength in a few minutes after activation. After that, the joint should be about as strong as it will ever be. I think the maximum bonding time is a couple of hours.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    I am not sure of your problem, but will attempt to answer anyway.
    If you are using 3M VHB tape to assemble your cuban fiber tarp, I can help. The VHB tape is pressure-sensitive. You must apply 10 psi pressure for several seconds to activate the adhesive. The adhesive gains most of its strength in a few minutes after activation. After that, the joint should be about as strong as it will ever be. I think the maximum bonding time is a couple of hours.
    I'm just using the double sided tape from z packs it doesn't really have instructions for best results though. http://www.zpacks.com/materials.shtml
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    Though typically weight is one of, if not the main concern on this thread, I believe the word you want is, Wait. That being said, let me know how it goes with the Cuban fiber, and how much is this costing out of pocket? I am very curious to make a Cuban Fiber tarp, if the price is right and the project is manageable.
    Thanks for that's
    It's costing about 250$ for the tape and Cuban. Add probably 5$ Or so for whatever you use for tie outs. I have made a few different tarps out of PU coated ripstop nylon and silnylon I'll get back with you on how this goes!
    Paragon Fury

Images
    Does this help:

Bonding CTF3 with CT-PSA:
    1. Determine the width of the seam: For many applications that use lightweight CT laminates a 0.5-inch
    seam width is adequate. All seams should be tested to verify they have the appropriate properties for
    the intended end-use application.
    2. Before applying CT adhesive, wipe clean the surface with a solvent such as MEK, acetone or rubbing
    alcohol to ensure that the bonding surface is clean and dry. Residual dirt or moisture will negatively
    affect the performance of the bond.
    3. Initial Bond: Peel the paper backer from the CT-PSA and apply the adhesive transfer tape to the first
    laminate. Using a roller, apply firm pressure to ensure 100% contact.
    4. Final Bond: Remove release liner. Apply the second laminate to the exposed PSA. Care should be
    taken to apply the second laminate flatly and without wrinkles. Again, use a roller and firm pressure to
    ensure complete contact.
    5. The recommended cure parameters is 240°F for 10 minutes, under firm pressure, such as in a press.
    Pressure should be as great as possible. Do not exceed cure temperatures of 270°F. Depending on
    end use conditions and the intended performance of the seam, lower cure temperature or time may be
    sufficient. In many cases curing the seam at 240°F, under firm pressure for 30 seconds will produce a
    reliable bond.
    NOTE: The seam will gain strength over time as the adhesive ages.
    6. Optional stitch: If necessary, stitching may be added to the seam to improve the peel strength. Be
    aware that stitching may reduce the strength of the seam because of the perforations. The stitch may
    also reduce the water-tightness of the laminate; a liquid adhesive such as Seam Grip® may be applied
    over the stitch to cure this. A straight stitch is recommended, 6-8 stitches per inch, 16 or 18-gauge
    needle, Nylon 69 thread. Stitch no closer than 1/4-inch from the edge of the laminate.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel

Re

It will be strong after only a few minutes, but it's maximum strength will be about 72 hrs after the initial application. About 30% stronger on day 3 compared to only 15 min dwell time. You can find 3M literature that will show it's initial bond strength and then also 3 days later if you want to see what the ratings are.

edit: Here ya go - http://www.westernrubber.com/wp-cont...A-9485-350.pdf

Ryan
    Last edited by Violent Green; 10-13-2013 at 17:17.

• + New Posts