Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Indoor, no holes in walls. Would this work?

Years ago I made some book shelves using standard shelving brackets mounted to 2X4s. The 2X4s had a threaded rod in one end with which I tensioned the 2X4 between ceiling and floor (using a small piece of plywood and foam against the ceiling). Most of the pressure was straight down. They work and continue to work well with MANY books' weight.
    Could I do something similar with two 4X4s for a hammock? There would be far more lateral load--that's why I'm asking you gurus. Would a tensioning/threaded rod give enough bite to keep the 4X4 from moving?
    I want to hang indoors, but cannot drill into the walls.
    I have made a turtledog stand, which works a treat. i'd like something less obtrusive.
    Many thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Instead of a threaded rod, could you put a long 2x4 or 4x4 parallel to the ceiling braced against the tops of both horizontal uprights for each end of the hammock? What are the room dimensions?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    It's not a good gamble as configured. You could get hurt with such a loaded structure as a book case at risk of being toppled.

Any solution that anchors the top of your assembly into the framing structure of the ceiling would be an absolute minimum in my thinking. Drywall and plaster are easy to fill for small fastener hole, this type of an anchor wouldn't need to be much. If you included a pic of your assembly I could suggest something simple and not too visibly noticeable. My first thoughts would be some sort of shallow cup anchored to the ceiling to run your threaded rod into. picture those cups they use to set shower curtain rods ends into but more substantial.

David

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    If there is no way to put a hole in the wall or ceiling Bubba has the right idea.
    Just make a faux beam and attach them to the shelves at apposite corners.
    Attach the hammock off the beam if possible.

Someone posted a fairly easy way to do this on a dorm room hang post.. Having trouble finding it.
    Last edited by Gary_R; 10-13-2013 at 11:49.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Thanks, guys, for the feedback and suggestions.
    To repeat: I'm not trying to hang from the existing bookshelf 2X4s.
    I'm asking if the idea for the shelves would apply for a hammock. (Please let me know if my description of the shelving is unclear and I'll try again.)
    My own instincts, definitely no engineer in my instincts, say "Books/ weight is almost all vertical. Hammock's weight (i.e. MY weight) is almost all lateral."
    So I wondered if a 4X4, sufficiently wedged against the floor and ceiling so it wouldn't slip/slide/bend/warp would be able to support me and my hammock.
    Running a two by four along the ceiling to keep the 4X4 located would certainly do the trick. And increase the ugliness coefficient as well.
    I'm still pondering and I very much appreciate the input.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat/gheto diy
    Insulation
    pads/PLUQ
    Suspension
    diy straps

Indoor, no holes in walls. Would this work?

I think I know what you are saying about your bookshelf anchor system, and I would say no. It is definitely not a good idea. Even beefing up the rig to 4x4 wouldn't matter, they would still give, and land on you about the same time as you hit the floor. You could add a beam between your 2 verticals at the ceiling and at the floor to keep them from being pulled inward by the tension of you in the hammock.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    You will also crush the ceiling plaster trying to anchor the beam with a compression jam like you are talking about.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Doublenest/RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    Web+Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Klanecfsb View Post
    I think I know what you are saying about your bookshelf anchor system, and I would say no. It is definitely not a good idea. Even beefing up the rig to 4x4 wouldn't matter, they would still give, and land on you about the same time as you hit the floor. You could add a beam between your 2 verticals at the ceiling and at the floor to keep them from being pulled inward by the tension of you in the hammock.
    I agree. Basically, you are proposing to use nothing more than the friction between your post and the floor/ceiling to hold you up. I can't imagine any amount of pressure that would give you the required lateral strength without bursting through the ceiling or floor. Even with a top/bottom plate of 12"x12" to provide more surface area with the floor/ceiling and spreading the vertical forces over a wider area it is asking a lot. Using a lateral beam as mentioned (which will only feel compression forces) between the poles OR securely fastening the post ends to a structural member capable of handling the forces are really your only practical options, I believe.

Thanks, all.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    This is what I use every night.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=35273
    Might work for you if you can find one.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast