Tarp
    Speer 8x10 CatTarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    webbing & cinch
    Images

one week trip in SNP.

Me and a friend are hiking through the 105 miles SNP in late May (25th), and I was wondering if the weather for this time of year is cold enough that I will need any underquilts or anything. I am fairly new to hammocking, and haven't done any trips that lasted longer than 2 nights in my HH explorer. I don't have any quilts right now, so I am just wondering if I need to buy anything before I go, or if I will be fine with just a blanket.
    "I leave here believing more than I had, this love has got no ceiling" - Eddie Vedder

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whatnowmitch View Post
    Me and a friend are hiking through the 105 miles SNP in late May (25th), and I was wondering if the weather for this time of year is cold enough that I will need any underquilts or anything.
    I don't know where the SNP is, but unless it is above 70 F all the time I think you'll need some kind of bottom insulation.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark Rainfly XL
    Images
    Shenandoah National Park (what I'd assume the OP means by SNP) is just north of Charlottesville, VA. I can't offer much advice on whether or not to bring UQs due to lack of experience with hammocking but I do know down here in Blacksburg, VA it gets cold at night even in the summer(~55-65). Actually we just had snow all day on Tuesday(4/7).

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You are going to need something. A pad or somekind of bottom insulation such as the Super Shelter or Underquilt. That area can get chilly even in the summer.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    I hang in that park all the time. It is one of my favorite places to go. It can get quite cold there in May. Especially at an elevation. I would recommend a JRB UQ. I have a nest, no sniv, and mt. rogers. All should work well.

I don't recommend pads, or the HH Super Shelter (SS). I never had much luck in SNP with the SS. Even in summer I was chilly. I've had the best luck with my JRB nest.

My mt. rogers is new, so I am not sure how it will work in SNP. I tried it last night for the last time and it was great. I cannot wait to try it in SNP.

I do recommend bringing an emergency space blanket, 1/2 blue pad, or reflective bubble insulation. Also, another good suggestion is synthetic top quilt. I usually just use down for a top quilt too, and haven't really had any issues.

Fog usually isn't much of a concern in SNP.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Images

Accu-weather

Quote Originally Posted by whatnowmitch View Post
    Me and a friend are hiking through the 105 miles SNP in late May (25th), and I was wondering if the weather for this time of year is cold enough that I will need any underquilts or anything. I am fairly new to hammocking, and haven't done any trips that lasted longer than 2 nights in my HH explorer. I don't have any quilts right now, so I am just wondering if I need to buy anything before I go, or if I will be fine with just a blanket.
    this might help http://www.accuweather.com/us/va/lur...Chg=1&metric=0

Hammock
    Travel Hammock wtb BB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12
    I have easly gone below freezing with just a ccf pad and a 35* sleeping bag. I wouldnt do it again, it was a very restless night but it can be done.
    Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God." Mark 10:27

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk156 View Post
    I have easly gone below freezing with just a ccf pad and a 35* sleeping bag. I wouldnt do it again, it was a very restless night but it can be done.
    Yes, it can be done, I have done it may times. However, the pad can cause condensation. This is a very bad thing in cold weather.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

• + New Posts