Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    I Learn So Others Can Too FireInMyBones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Piedmont, SC
    Hammock
    Bonefire™ UL
    Tarp
    Dawn Treader Sock
    Insulation
    Bonefire™
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Posts
    2,519
    Images
    46

    Half Size Dutch Clips?

    I use 1/2" Mule Tape as my tree huggers. Right now, I'm using Whoopie hooks in place of Clips (per SGT Rock's video). I find that the hooks slip off the mule tape sometimes and would like something a bit more solid.

    I'm looking at either trying to use Dutch Clips and just sew the loop really tight/close to the clip, but I'm concerned about it being too big.

    Other options might be Dutch Biners, but I figured I put this out to Dutch and the community ere. I'm concerned with weight, but Dutch is too so I doubt that'll be an issue. Size and function (read speed of set up) are my biggest concerns here.

    All help is very appreciated.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones" Owner of Bonefire™ Gear

    "If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4:11

    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    FireInMyBones; he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.
    My YouTube
    My Trail Journal
    http://www.peopleforbikes.org/

  2. #2
    altruistguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Holland, MI
    Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin,FlightJac
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Posts
    152

    Trees are our friends! Wider straps seem appropriate to protect them.

    Wow! 1/2" sounds really, really narrow. The original equipment suspension lines on my HH were about 5/32" -- so 1/2" is only about three times the diameter of the rope solution.

    I'm thinking that 1/2" is dramatically more likely to cause damage to trees than more common widths (i.e., 1" to 2"). There are certainly trees which are probably less likely to be damaged by narrow webbing (e.g., sycamores), but in general, 1/2" seems to me to be too risky.

    While there certainly are benefits to narrower widths (i.e., lighter weight), we need to ever remain vigilant to protecting our friends, the trees!

    I recommend wider straps.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mountnman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Waynesville, Ohio
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Posts
    1,942
    I use 1/2 in mule tape as well. I put finger sized sticks under the mule tape every few inches to where the strap does not touch the tree. Never had an issue even leaving a mark.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

  4. #4
    Senior Member Mountnman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Waynesville, Ohio
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    I use 1/2" Mule Tape as my tree huggers. Right now, I'm using Whoopie hooks in place of Clips (per SGT Rock's video). I find that the hooks slip off the mule tape sometimes and would like something a bit more solid.

    I'm looking at either trying to use Dutch Clips and just sew the loop really tight/close to the clip, but I'm concerned about it being too big.

    Other options might be Dutch Biners, but I figured I put this out to Dutch and the community ere. I'm concerned with weight, but Dutch is too so I doubt that'll be an issue. Size and function (read speed of set up) are my biggest concerns here.

    All help is very appreciated.
    I would love some smaller dutch clips for my mule tape
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

  5. #5
    Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Western, NC
    Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    Strap'BinerWhoopie
    Posts
    2,140
    Images
    50

    Re: Half Size Dutch Clips?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    I use 1/2 in mule tape as well. I put finger sized sticks under the mule tape every few inches to where the strap does not touch the tree. Never had an issue even leaving a mark.
    If youre using 1/2 muletape then I hope you'll always do this.
    - Loki,

    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn."
    — John Muir

  6. #6
    Senior Member Mountnman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Waynesville, Ohio
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    If youre using 1/2 muletape then I hope you'll always do this.
    Yes Sir, I even use this with wider straps.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

  7. #7
    I Learn So Others Can Too FireInMyBones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Piedmont, SC
    Hammock
    Bonefire™ UL
    Tarp
    Dawn Treader Sock
    Insulation
    Bonefire™
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Posts
    2,519
    Images
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by altruistguy View Post
    Wow!
    ...
    I recommend wider straps.
    The pros and cons of the mule tape has been debated before. But to help ease the tension, let me say that I use multiple wraps around the tree and at ~150# I've never seen signs of damage. A lot of this has to do with tree selection and using non-established campsites so I don't run the risk of reusing the same spot for my hammock (or anyone else doing so either) and harming the tree.

    Thank you for he recommendation and your desire to protect the trees. Perhaps, I'm dangerous, but I've had positive results so far.

    HYOH

    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    I would love some smaller dutch clips for my mule tape
    I know right?

    I'd even be willing to try ti cinch buckles for mule tape (though I'd imagine the mule tape's slick nature would make cinch buckles difficult).
    Last edited by FireInMyBones; 10-14-2013 at 13:27.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones" Owner of Bonefire™ Gear

    "If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4:11

    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    FireInMyBones; he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.
    My YouTube
    My Trail Journal
    http://www.peopleforbikes.org/

  8. #8
    Senior Member Mountnman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Waynesville, Ohio
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Posts
    1,942
    This is how I use my 1/2 in mule tape. I have seen marks left by 1 1/2 webbing. I have never had an issue using sticks like this and I do the same for my tarp ridge line.


    image.jpg
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

  9. #9
    fallkniven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Posts
    2,448
    Images
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    This is how I use my 1/2 in mule tape. I have seen marks left by 1 1/2 webbing. I have never had an issue using sticks like this and I do the same for my tarp ridge line.


    image.jpg
    If youdo that every time anyway, why not just use cord? wrap the ucr around the tree and clip it back onto itself. I do that for my lunch at work hammock where I'm hanging from pilings and 2x4's...


  10. #10
    Senior Member Mountnman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Waynesville, Ohio
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    If youdo that every time anyway, why not just use cord? wrap the ucr around the tree and clip it back onto itself. I do that for my lunch at work hammock where I'm hanging from pilings and 2x4's...

    I use whoopies with whoopie hooks
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-08-2013, 23:47
  2. Trade. Dutch buckles for Dutch clips
    By Two Tents in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-07-2011, 22:20
  3. SOLD: For Sale Whoopie Slings w/Dutch Biners x2 Sets AND 1 Set of Dutch Clips
    By Tendertoe in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 17:44
  4. Replacing Dutch Clips with Dutch Biners?
    By TheWild in forum Dutchware
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-07-2010, 14:49
  5. TRADED: 2 Dutch Biners for 2 Dutch Clips
    By TheWild in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2010, 20:16

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •