Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    [QUOTE=dejoha;1113633]This article came out a while back, but I came across it again and did a double-take after reading the Leave No Trace Center's recommendations on hammock camping, particularly the size of the

I've known Ben, the LNT Education Director, for a few years now, so I got in touch with him about the statement. He said that the recommendation comes from discussions from different land agents (presumably their partners at National Parks, Forest Service, etc.).

We had a good back-and-forth and he did agree to update the post to include 1.5-inch webbing, but that's about as far as he would push it.

It is an interesting revelation, especially with what I'm seeing as a trend here on HF with folks looking to get narrower and narrower straps (e.g., 0.75-inch Mule Tape or 0.5-inch strap). I think we should proceed with caution in this vein because of the potential PR damage we could make for ourselves. New hangers in particular will be looking for the recommended standards in which to operate.

On this topic, I think it is in our best interest to look at some sort of scientific study on strap use, tree damage, etc., to provide the best recommendations to land agents and camp hosts, etc. From my own observations, there is a lot of subjective opinion out there on strap usage, what works best, and what doesn't. It would be nice to have an objective study done that could put some of these questions to rest.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE

it sure would be a hard job trying to predict future demands on our natural places.
    with todays economy and the present world conditions people are seeking entertainment closer to home.

the trend in the population is of older people getting back into outdoor activities based on lighter gear choices.
    these campsites could possibly see a rise in use of 10 times that of todays flow.

Im curious if the fact that not everyone uses hammocks now lets our huggers seem harmless to us,but a vision is in my head of campsites full to the brim to the point of reservation only use on a limited basis.
    They also realize hammocks have a bright future on the outdoor scene.
    can you see the kids one generation from now asking grampa what a tent was,the forests and park services can.

My hats off to all who undertake such a daunting tack.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Just for comparison purposes - Clark Hammocks sell 2" tree straps - 2-81" straps come in at 3.6 oz according to their site.
    Right now I use 1" webbing suspension but I can see that an 'all in one' with a 2" tree strap extension would not be impossible for me to accept.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    For what it is worth, my primary backyard hanging tree is a big-diameter ash tree, bigger than I would normally choose in the backcountry. Ash has a very cork like bark with external "folds". I noticed a band of compression damage the first time I hung there. I use standard, one inch AHE tree straps with whoopies and a biner. I can easily see certain trees in high-use camping spots showing visible damage. If you are restricted to camping in designated spots, there are only a limited number of trees available for hanging, and these will get regular use. If these happen to be the type of trees that are easily damaged, or at least show visible evidence of damage, you could pretty quickly get into a situation where a ranger or other LNT person would start to have a bad opinion of hammocks damaging trees.

In my case, unfortunately, it probably won't matter because my ash tree will not survive the onslaught of the emerald ash borer anyway.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    I can easily see certain trees in high-use camping spots showing visible damage. If you are restricted to camping in designated spots, there are only a limited number of trees available for hanging, and these will get regular use.
    This would be no different than putting a tent in the same spot all the time and killing the grass. LNT also talks about low impact and moving around to allow the ground to heal or not be killed in the first place. If you see trees that look "overused", make sure to set up elsewhere.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    ASM Troop 140
    North Ridgeville, Ohio

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 w/net,Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY D&Syn TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    CinchB & WS,Dutch

Lnt

Let us not forget that the Hang Angle and Weight of the Occupant Play a Large Role in How Much Force is applied to a given area on the Tree..The Higher the Forces the more risk of damage to the tree-Period!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    I don't know what the fuss is about...screw a hook into the tree and forget it. <sigh>

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by bowl-maker View Post
    I don't know what the fuss is about...screw a hook into the tree and forget it. <sigh>

Actually, this is probably the least damaging method to hang on the same tree over and over for years. Think state park campgrounds.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post

Actually, this is probably the least damaging method to hang on the same tree over and over for years. Think state park campgrounds.
    Every year,,just unscrew the screw a half a turn and your good to go,,,I do that on tree steps that I leave in same trees I hunt out of and they hold great and don't damage the bark or tree and stay strong.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    It would seem prudent based upon the collective wealth of knowledge assembled, that HammockForums issue ther own consensus statment regarding "Best Practices". As hammock camping expands there may come a time where National and State Parks need to adopt formal policies. For simplicity, they will typically adopt something already in writing. The collective experience of thousands of hammock users must be more credible than the process utilized by the LNT Center.

Alternatively, members of this forum could submit to LNT center, photographs of trees from which they have hung with 1" tree straps. Perhaps an avalance of evidence is what the LNT center requires to tailor their statement to reflect what we as a forum know.

Just looking down the trail.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Trees seem to withstand a fair amount of rough play. Nails, screws, hatchet strikes, woodpeckers, lightning strikes, beavers, fencing wire, being topped, tree houses built in, roads built next to damaging roots, acid rain, logging, fire, spikes from hunters and such.
    I know when I hang on two trees I take as much care as I can within reason enjoying their company for the night in the piney woods. My tree straps may leave a light mark sometimes....tree dependent. I look around at other trees in the area to see what condition their bark is in and this is usually in the backwoods trails. Often see a lot of chipped and marked bark just from being a tree in the wild. Bug holes and bird holes.
    But when camping I look at the ground where tents stay for the night and it is a large area of mud and bald ground.

In public areas where Officials wander I would use a 2" strap for LNT purposes if it comes to that but I find myself less and less wanting to camp in areas where Officials with thier rulebooks roam.
    Thus...Shug of the Third Person is off to backpacking trails.
    I have never seen an Official down in the Linville Gorge, only on the rim where one can park the truck and walk.
    Same on other trails.
    I think we just need to be aware of where we hang and vigilant as to who is watching our techniques. Play the game as needed and required. I feel most folks on this site are way more LNT conscious than many campers from what I have experienced.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast