Wilderness Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    EE 30* HG 0* Incub
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Will I be warm enough on the AT in '14?

Will I be warm enough hiking the AT starting around late February or early March?

I have a Snipe, Yeti 20* UQ, EE 30* top quilt, and a HG cuben tarp w/doors.
    I have a Cocoon silk sleeping bag liner that I would probably have to use for the first month. With all of this and wearing most of my clothes do you think I will be warm enough?

I really wanted a top quilt that I could use the whole trail so I didn’t get something warmer than my 30*. I hear it could easily get down to the low teens at the time I am starting. I am a somewhat cold sleeper but not that bad.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I'd add a small section of CCF-torso and hips, and depending on pack, replace the, foam back support pad, if you have one, with another small piece of CCF to use in the foot box of your TQ.

That would add 10 to 15 to maybe even 20 degrees, in most instances, depending on how you sleep, to the existing range of the down quilts, you intend on taking.

And it will come in stellar, should you have to meet the floor of one of the AT shelters for a night or two.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    I saw a couple nights in late February and even early March on The AT where the temp got down to single digits. 5 degrees being the lowest. I was using a JRB Mt. Washington 4 zero degree UQ and a JRB High Sierra Sniveller TQ rated at 0-5 degrees. I slept in my down jacket as well, even though I think I would have been toasty warm without it. With my setup I had no problems at all. With yours, I would be only guessing, but I think you'd be OK, although possibly cold but OK if you get down close to single digit temps. As others will suggest, use this coming winter to test out your gear before you leave in case a change is needed. Good luck and have a blast!

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    I agree with Flounder.
    Sleep out this fall and winter and find your comfort zone.
    It is better to tweak your rig now and be confident versus
    being on the trail and trying to retool. This applies to all your
    kit...just not your hammock rig.

Whiteblaze has great support forums for the prospective Thru hiker.

Have fun! I hope to see you out there.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

Hammock
    3 custom hk2001 Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    IX Double Dog Bun
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch straps
    At least you have a few months of cold weather coming where you can try out what you have - play with the CCF pads, etc... then make adjustments in a more controlled environment vs waiting to do it on the trail.
    -Turtle Creek

Images
    This is controversial, and plenty would never do this, but consider learning all there is to know about vapor barriers(VB). One good source of info is the Stephensons Warmlite web site, as well as a couple of threads here at HF. Personally, I prefer VB clothing, but others like bag liners and such.

This can add a lot of warmth and more importantly keep your insulation much drier. However, don't go this route unless you are confident you understand how to use it and have experimented with it in a safe environment with easy bail out available. Do this wrong and you will end up with wet insulation and cold, just the opposite of the reason you would be doing it.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=Vapor

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=Vapor

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rchid=10432668

I hiked last year with a 15 bag and a 20 hg uq. Had an 8 degree night in mid march in Georgia. It can get cold in those higher elevations. It can also just get cold period. Looking back I was happy with my 15, heavier than my summerlite 32' but well worth it in march. Wish I had a 0 uq on that 8 degree night but otherwise I think 20 is solid. I didn't start in Feb last year but I saw the temps were reaching negatives (last year had a particularly cold start however) Comes down to how the weather is going to play out and your comfort zone in those low temps.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Camo SuperFly
    Insulation
    Yeti underquilt
    Suspension
    Straps
    I hiked some of the AT during early March of last year. Temps and comfort aren't an easy call. 35 with rain and damp is cold. 20 and strong wind is cold. 15 and calm, not as bad. Getting to sleep out and dial in your gear and acclimate is a real advantage, us Florida dwellers don't get to do that!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    I have been hanging most weekends lately. Mostly near the AT in NY. I also have a 20 deg UQ with a 30 degree TQ(actually a sleeping bag).

One night the winds got above 40 mph and temps dipped below 20. Also hail and snow in the middle of the night.

I had a Warbonnet sock strung up ready to deploy for when I got cold and although I may not have needed it, I zipped it up all but two feet of opening over my face and noticed right away how toasty warm I got.
    I slept great except for the wind noise. Never had any cold spots.

I suspect I could get by with the 20 deg UQ, 30 deg top in February on the Southern AT, but would want the sock for those very cold nights.

It seems like the lightest way to extend my temp range.

I'd ship it home after the first month or so and maybe use it again in NH and Maine depending on how late in the season I got there.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    EE 30* HG 0* Incub
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I ended up getting a 0 degree Hammock Gear incubator with 1 oz. overfill. It is pretty amazing but I have not used it yet. I will test it out two nights this weekend and report back. I am still a little worried about my 30 degree top quilt so we'll see.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast