Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Warbonnet xlc or dream danger 11'

So I found hammock forums a few months ago and I've done 4 DIY hammocks and a set of turbo dog stands. Thanks to samsara, caveman, shrug, just Jeff, hamicustiano, xtrekk, ramblnrev, professor, and many others I ve had some great naps and some dark bruises. I have fallen three times. I'll still experiment as I learn to sew but I think it's time to try some commercial creations.

I'm leaning towards the dream hammock danger bird 11' or a warbonnet xlc. They both seem like what I'm looking for: double layer, integrated bug net, large size. The description on dream hammock is a little more complete but the visibility and ventilation looks better on the xlc. Comfort and durability are more important to me than weight. I'm 6'3" and 225 lbs. I may get both eventually, but which should I get first?

Thank you all.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    If you can make it to a hang you'll probably be able to try them out. That's the best advise I can give.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps for now
    Final call is obviously yours. I don't think u can go wrong either way, but I do think the danger bird has a little less fiddle factor to get set up. There is a bit of a learning curve for the XLC to get that "perfect lay"

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 with weathershield
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    You are in the same boat as my husband. He is 6' 6" and about 275lbs. He is currently debating between the Warbonnet XLC and the 11ft Dangerbird.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. They both seem to be extremely high quality and get rave reviews here.

We are hoping to attend a local hang soon and see some of these quality hammocks in action. We are also driving up to meet the Dream Hammock folks in person to test drive some Dangerbirds.

Good luck with whatever you decide. You could always buy both if you don't get a chance to test drive first. Then just resell whichever isn't your favorite. It seems like both of those models go extremely fast, and hold resell value very well.
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 D/ WBRR DOUBLE 1.7
    Tarp
    Big daddy. WB CB
    Insulation
    KAQ summer quilt
    Never has been n a db but I own the wbxlc I'm 6 foot 275 with room to spare

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    All I can say is I love my ThunderBird in nightgrid camo and coyote. Randy does great work.

Brandon does great work also, but I don't have the WB XLC to comment. Maybe one day when my husband let's me off restriction.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    bullfrog
    Insulation
    leighlo top&bottom
    Suspension
    woopies
    I have a 11 ft danger bird 72 black outside green inside 6 ft 1 290 love it tons of room for me and my 4 year old grand daughter.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    WB has a 60 day return policy if the XLC doesn't work out, but as mentioned it does require a bit more trial and error to get setup right on a consistent basis. Once you get it though it's exceptional. If you opt for a DH the 11' is definitely the way to go, and I'd recommend 70+ inches wide to give a wider variety of sleeping positions.

There are some other differences that may matter to you - XLC has a gear shelf and footbox (so lay is similar to a wider hammock) while DB has RL organizer. The over cover on the XLC is removeable, while on rhe DB it's attached and lives in a stow pouch when not in use. The Thunderbird has a detachable cover though, and due to the zipper on the XLC either will have slightly better/easier netless mode.

Either are great choices, if you can't make it to a group hang don't be afraid to try them both!
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    Get both. If your like me you'll end up with them both in the long run anyhow

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have always been a WB fan, but after trying both the XLC and the Thunderbird out at the MI Hang I would probably go with Dream Hammock. Don't get me wrong, the WB XLC is comfortable, has lots of ventilation netting and most importantly has the shelf, but the bug net or solid top does not fold back nicely over the ridge line. It is probably the deciding factor for me. On the other hand, the ThBird zipper can be hard to reach all the way at the top. I spoke with Poppa Smurf about this and thought the end piece (don't remember what he called it) could be made longer so you wouldn't have to zip it up as much. The other big thing is when using the solid cover on the TB it can be evenly unzipped as far down as needed for ventilation. The XLC would only be cracked open on the side with not much control of ventilation and the material hangs in your face. An 11' hammock is sweet and I am only 6'. Takes any leg discomfort away. Good luck in your choice. Either way it is not bad. Hope this helps in your decision.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast