WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB, Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing

GG 41" wide pad

I am wondering if anyone has used the GG wide pad in a Blackbird hammock and how does it work. i am hoping the pad will spread the hammock out and kinda act like the side tie outs.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've used it. It works well in combo with an under quilt, but I've been cold towards morning when using it by itself. I would still use it in winter if I was near my uq limits, or in summer when the temps are warm and I'm worried about getting wet. However, I've stopped using it for other trips because 1) it doesn't breathe and you will feel damp underneath, 2) it doesn't compress when packing and you have to deal with the bulk in or on your pack, and 3) I think it compresses overnight somewhat and becomes thinned in spots where you need more insulation.

This last issue I discovered after using some in my shoes with a hole cut out where I needed some pressure relief. After only a few days the foam was compressed paper-thin. I kept it to see how long it would take to recover--one year later it was still paper-thin.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by bonsaihiker; 10-15-2013 at 08:03.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Oh, as far as spreading the hammock, it will do that when you're out, but your weight will override the spread when you get in.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps

40" pad

I've got a 40" double pad (40x72 ?) on the way so i suppose I'll find out just how well pads works with a BB dbl layer. But I'm in muggy Fla where 20f is an event so that may not be of help to you.

Cvt

• + New Posts