Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camper down

Camper down

Am hoping to get a bit of advice if possible. I bought my Dad a Dangerbird with cinch buckles a while back and he seems to love it but it's dumped him on the ground a couple of times. He's a very big guy (6' 7" / probably nearly 300) and not an experienced hammock camper. Do you guys have any tips / suggestions on videos that could be useful?

A possible suggestion for Papa Smurf - you probably work with really experienced hangers most of the time, but the quality of your product might draw less experienced folks as well. They might really appreciate a video or two on hanging tips.

Thanks so much for any advice you can give.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    You're a little short on specifics. In what manner did it dump him? Did the syspension slip or fail. did it rotate and spill him out sideways? What kind of suspension do you have?

Just tie a knot above the buckles once you get it adjusted so that the strap can't slip.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    The first questions is this: What part of things is failing for him? Is it the suspension itself or is he doing the same flippy dippy ballet routine we all do when starting out?

If he wants some good videos, Shug puts out an amazing series that's pretty much one of the best primers out there.

Check them out!
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

ah!

Yeah, he was a little fuzzy on the detail, but I suspect it's a suspension issue. Thanks for the video recommendation - am thinking the knot behind the cinch buckle at minute 3 might be the solution he needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lOT7NkI-gU

Thanks again for your advice.

Images
    Maybe hanging it too tight? Often, especially if there is no structural ridge line (SRL, RL) to limit how tight you can pull it, too tight = more narrow = less stable. But I guess you have a RL. Just taking a wild guess without more details of how he got dumped exactly.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Hanging too tight is a huge inexperienced mistake. It is very counter intuitive to put a lot of slack in a hammock if you don't really understand the mechanics of how they work. Make sure he is hanging at the recommended 30* off horizontal for the suspension. At least use that as a starting point. This allows a good diagonal lie and a low center of gravity. It's real tough to flip a hammock hung like that. It can be done... but you have to work at it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Again, thank you so much for all your help. Obviously, I should have asked him for more detail before getting on the forums. I'm emailing him to see what I can find out.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by meldawn View Post
    Again, thank you so much for all your help. Obviously, I should have asked him for more detail before getting on the forums. I'm emailing him to see what I can find out.
    Please report back and let everybody know if the backup knot solves the problem. Feel free to contact me through the Dream Hammock website if I can be of any assistance to you or your father.

dad's report from the forest floor

"The little square plastic latch on the straps that hold my hammock to the tree get turned askew and drops my *** on the ground. It usually happens after I have been in it awhile and am shifting my weight around to get comfortable."

thanks again.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast