Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Suspension
    Biners/Pythons
    Images

UGQ Zeppelin UQ on Clark NX-250

After much research here on HF and elsewhere, and careful consideration of the numerous under-quilt/UQ options available, in light of my personal needs and preferences I opted to go with an Underground Quilts Zeppelin; full-length; 20*F; 850-fill DWR goose down; with +2oz. overfill.

While I don’t have any real need to be camouflaged, I like being as unobtrusive as possible in the back country, thus my original intent was to obtain a UQ with the aforementioned specs and a DWR outer shell in woodland camo (ideally matching that of my Clark NX-250). This turned out to be a tall order. Enter Paul and Missy of UGQ…

I’m really grateful for, and indeed knocked-out by, the patience and effort that UGQ afforded me. They answered myriad questions to help me reach a much better understanding of what I really needed; they worked with me for over a week to try and find an appropriate shell material (lightweight, breathable, ripstop, DWR, down-proof, woodland camo); and ultimately helped me arrive at a much better and more versatile arrangement that I am really pleased with. That “perfect” outer shell material simply wasn’t available, but we did arrive at a solution and I now have a woodland camo under-quilt-protector/UQP which UGQ custom-made for me to fit the Zeppelin. I can now use this UQP with or without the Zeppelin. A far better approach in hindsight.

The UQ itself is a really good fit on the NX-250. I was concerned that using the NX-250 pockets would negatively affect the loft of the UQ, but this seems not to be the case. The adjustability of the Zeppelin is considerable, its suspension is pretty intuitive (simply pull on this or that cord and watch what happens), and I was able to get it dialed-in without much fuss. The draft collars at the ends are substantial and thus afford forgiveness adjustment-wise. The build on the quilt is really professional – stitching, seams, symmetry, the fill lofts well and stays put. Time will of course tell, but I’m feeling really confident given the apparent quality and workmanship.

Ultimately, I’m very glad we couldn’t find the aforementioned “perfect” outer shell material, for I now have a UQP that I can use separately in warmer weather. UGQ used a 1.3oz. woodland camo ripstop nylon that we did find, and custom-built the UQP to fit the Zeppelin. I’ve treated it with spray on Revivex DWR for Soft-Shells, and I’m pretty confident it’ll more than fill the bill, especially in tandem with the DWR of the Zeppelin’s outer shell. The UQ and UQP on the NX-250 (pockets and all) are supremely adjustable. Here again the fit and finish on the UQP is impressive. Fine custom work, and reasonably priced.

I included the under-quilt triangles in my order, but haven’t used them yet. It didn’t seem immediately necessary, but am glad I have them and am looking forward to playing around with perhaps dialing the fit in even better. Stay tuned.

Temps only got down to 53* Sunday night, and with an open 15* sleeping bag I was uber toasty, actually having to vent a bit, and I’m a cold sleeper. First impressions; I’m very pleased and satisfied with this addition to my rig. Some photos follow below, hopefully illustrating how the UQ/UQP rides on my rig and connects to my (previously re-tooled) NX-250 suspension.

UGQ kindly threw in an official UGQ Outdoors sleeping beanie, gratis (thanks!), but it’s really their exceptional customer satisfaction and their quality workmanship that’s the icing on this cake. Thanks again to Paul/Missy/UGQ!

20131014_1_UQ.jpg
    Under-Quilt Installed (with NX-250 mosquito net deployed - looking very Batman-esque)

20131014_2_UQP.jpg
    Under-Quilt Protector Installed (with NX-250 weather shield closed - all camo now)

20131014_3_TARP.jpg
    Tarp Deployed (thus completing the package)

20131014_4_CLOSE.jpg
    Close-up of the UQP/UQ (notice the spreaders lift the hammock up slightly out of the UQ/UQP when unoccupied, but things settle in and seal perfectly on the sides and at the ends once you get in it)

20131014_5_CONNECT.jpg
    Close-up of Attachment Points (the UQ/UQP s-biners clip easily to the 10" climbing slings, biners, and kammok python straps I used to replace my stock suspension. I flip the straps over the biners to keep them properly oriented as drip rings. DemostiX's spreader-hoop-lifter mod is also visible.)
    Sine ira et studio.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Very nice, I am liking this very much.... Paul and Missy are awesome.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Freebird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ WB MJ
    Insulation
    UGQ, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Strap/Rings/Dutch
    That truly is a thing of beauty...
    Fair Winds & Following Seas.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Nice! I am looking at the same UQ for my NX-250. UGQ's DWR treated fabric (and 850 fill DWR GD!) is a superb feature. I don't have a cover/protector for my Warmlite Triple Bag but I am really glad we use a duvet for our comforter at home. In my mountaineering days being able to find my tent in poor (awful) visibility was pretty important and I haven't felt a need for stealth yet for my hammock system. So the color selection in the lighter the 0.9 oz DWR fabric would be fine for me. How much weight and volume does your 1.3 oz/yd UQP have?
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Suspension
    Biners/Pythons
    Images
    The UQ as spec'ed above weighs about 29 oz. in its included stuff sack -- appx. 12" tall and 20" around. The UQP weighs about 8 oz. in its included stuff sack appx. -- 6" tall and 10" around.

I opted for the UQP not only to achieve the camo, but I also appreciate an added level of moisture protection for the UQ. Even though the UQ (and down) is DWR, it could be a problem if moisture were blowing, splashing, or condensing to the extent that the shell wet-out. Like a wet tarp, a damp/wet UQP is not a big deal, but having to pack and deal with a damp/wet UQ could be a real problem.

So I’ve got a nifty and versatile stand-alone UQP, to complement my UQ. Really glad it worked out this way. A bit of extra weight, but wasn’t it Ben Franklin who once opined…

“8 ounces of prevention is worth 29 ounces of cure.”?
    Sine ira et studio.

Hammock
    NX250, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Zliner, AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Nice set up. Gives me food for though as I muddle through my UQ selection process.

• + New Posts