Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Barrett, that second map was awesome too! I need to learn how to do that. I think I'm going to look for Fitzgerald lake...the hike in would probably be shorter, depending on how far around you wanted to go.

Cosmic, we'll have to hit Fitzgerald soon. It's only about 10 min. from both of us! And Nighthauk also...

And Lithia springs hangers, don't forget to stop into Gagne's. He told me he wanted to show people where to park.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Fitzgerald Lake

Country, Cosmic, & Western Mass Hangers:

I checked out Fitzgerald Lake in Florence. It's under a Trustee arrangement of some sort. The posted rules on their site show the following:

Regulations

Fitzgerald Lake Conservation Area Regulations
    Welcome to the Fitzgerald Lake Conservation Area (FCLA). Maps are available at the North Farms Road and Moose Lodge parking lots.

To protect the wildlife and habitat of Fitzgerald Lake, we thank you for observing the following regulations:
    ◾Hiking, cross-country skiing, ice-skating, fishing, bird watching, and non-motorized boating (canoeing and kayaking) are allowed from dawn to dusk.
    ◾Dogs must be kept on leashes. Unleashed dogs may be an annoyance and a potential hazard to wildlife, people, and other dogs. Please pick up dog waste and pack it out. Mutt Mitts are available at the North Farms Road and the Moose Lodge entrances.
    Fires, camping, and all motorized vehicles (including boats) are prohibited.
    ◾All wildlife, including plants and flowers are protected pursuant to law—please don’t disturb, feed or pick them.
    ◾Please stay on designated blazed trails (blue, white and red) within the Conservation Area. Wetlands are particularly sensitive to off-trail use. Please don’t use trails that are posted “Private Property—Keep Off”.
    ◾Be cautious during hunting season; hunting is allowed in the crosshatched area on the FCLA map.
    ◾There are no trash cans or toilet facilities at the FCLA; if you bring it in, please pack it out.

A complete list of regulations for the FCLA is available from the
    Northampton Conservation Commission, City Hall, 210 Main Street, Northampton, MA 01060.

I guess we could hang there but it would have to be more or less on a stealth basis.

I'm going to do a little more research and then report back to the group.
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Bummer, I guess Fitzgerald is out. It would be the North Farms Rd entrance that we would take, or would have taken. I did look at it on Google Earth...looked like it could have been pretty cool, but oh well. Lithia is probably better. At Fitzgerald Lake there are a lot of wetlands surrounding the water so we probably couldn't get that close in most areas...

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Country,

Have you ever been to Chesterfield Gorge and the Gilbert Bliss State Forest?

The Gorge is run by another Trustee Group. It's a .5 mile trail along the Westfield River that has some really scenic and cool spots. Not for hanging though, just for taking in the beauty. Once you're done "sightseeing", if you continue on down the River, on the dirt road, you come to a gate marked: Gilbert Bliss State Forest. Go through the gate and continue on down the river. There are tons and I mean ton of hang sites all along the river and on both sides of the dirt road. Some great rock hangouts in the river.

I've had fires there on day trips. It's pretty secluded and no one ever bothered me. It's a reasonably popular day hike area, but the further down the river you go, the less "traffic" you have.

Might make for a hang site if we wanted to try to get something together for out that way. It's probably 20 minutes or so from Florence give or take.

Just a thought.
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmic camper View Post
    Wowee - you guys have been busy! This is shaping up

Tri-pod: I've got my fingers crossed for you! The incubator is at the top of the running for my first UQ purchase and I would just LOVE to see one in action. As it is, I don't know how I'm going to survive the night... but I will! Might try the hot water Nalgene trick in combo with some reflectex, a second sleeping bag and CountryRoads' pad (if she'll let me borrow it!)

Barrett - Such a cool idea for the map! My work computer isn't able to figure it out, but I'll check it out soon!

Country Roads - Two Thumbs Up on checking with Gagnes!!!! Yipppeee! That guy is so cool Also - I LOVE Fitzgerald Lake! I used to do after school work out sessions with this teen in Northampton (one of the most fun jobs I've ever had) and he and I would walk through Fitz Lake all the time! It was awesome, one time we got stuck in there for like 5 hours and got super lost, only to pop out in this gloriously humongous field! Let's HAMMOCK THERE!

Jolly - HECK YEAH dude! We'll be back, time and time again - we'd love to have you!

Yippee
    Thanks, C.C.......I've got mine crossed, too! Since I discovered this bit of heaven called sleeping in hammocks, I've been out back in the woods here for about 75% of the nights since early July. Picked up a BIAS WW a cpl of weeks ago (all 11' x 64" of it is spoiling me after 3 nights total use, too!!) & now my 3/4 Insultex just doesn't cut it without a lot of extra fuss. Grateful to have the HH w/SuperShelter option right now. If it doesn't arrive, it looks like Barrett also uses one that you can check out. C'mon UQ!!!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

The Gorge

I'm rooting for you Tri-Pod.

Having a good UQ is the difference between having a great time and just getting by. When I was younger, I could have slept on rocks in the snow and it would have been fun. (Well not really, but...........). Now, hanging in a hammock, if you get those darn cold spots, it's just real hard to get rid of them no matter how many shirts, stuff sacks, or other "fillers" you try to stick in between you and the abyss.

At my age now, I need the comfort of both a good UQ and a good TQ.

Anyway for all of our Western Mass Hangers, here's a Google Earth layout of the Chesterfield Gorge and then down river for about a mile and a quarter or so. Just to give you an idea of what's out that way.

If there is no interest, I have another couple of spots in mind. One is off the Mohawk Trail not too far.

Anyway, check this area out and let me know what you think.

Gil

Follow the link and then click VIEW

http://productforums.google.com/foru...ns/FKX_yf8ou3M
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by barrettgajr View Post
    I'm rooting for you Tri-Pod.

Having a good UQ is the difference between having a great time and just getting by. When I was younger, I could have slept on rocks in the snow and it would have been fun. (Well not really, but...........). Now, hanging in a hammock, if you get those darn cold spots, it's just real hard to get rid of them no matter how many shirts, stuff sacks, or other "fillers" you try to stick in between you and the abyss.

At my age now, I need the comfort of both a good UQ and a good TQ.

Anyway for all of our Western Mass Hangers, here's a Google Earth layout of the Chesterfield Gorge and then down river for about a mile and a quarter or so. Just to give you an idea of what's out that way.

If there is no interest, I have another couple of spots in mind. One is off the Mohawk Trail not too far.

Anyway, check this area out and let me know what you think.

Gil

Follow the link and then click VIEW

http://productforums.google.com/foru...ns/FKX_yf8ou3M
    Thanks for the rootin'......and I, too, would sleep anywhere when young. Matter of fact, I never used anything synthetic for a pad (always a wool blanket, evergreen boughs, meadow grasses, etc) unless my ex wanted to camp. Then it was a 24" high Aerobed, for Pete's sake!! Which meant packing a 6 person tent, for Pete's sake!!! For only 2 people, for Pete's sake!!!! But, she's a really good person, we're still really good friends & we're still camping together now & again! And she brings the same bed......and, unfortunately ('cuz I haul it in), the same tent. Oops, I digress...Yeah, the fuss factor to stay warm has to disappear........Comfort is my priority also! I'm closer to 60 than I am to 50, so the older bones seem to bark louder now!!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    barrettgajr - GREAT reporting. Thanks for all this work!

CC and CR - looks like I might have to bail this weekend. Work just isn't letting up enough for me take the time off. :-(

My coworker is back from leave on the 14th, so I'm hoping the 16/17 I'll be able to head out somewhere.

Re: Western Massachusetts Hang spots

Hi, new hanger here from Westfield. While I have never camped near the Chesterfield gorge, I have walked it many times fly fishing. It is a beautiful area and the fishing has always been great.
    - Gregg

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

Western Massachusetts Hang spots

Gregg welcome aboard. There is a very active group here in W. Mass as well as New England. Keep your eyes pealed for everything NEHHA North east Hammock Hangin Association. We out on at least three major group hangs and various other trips throughout the year. We have one coming up in January at the Chesterfield Scout Camp if you are interested. Jan 10-12 '14. Look for NEHHA Nor' Easter hang thread and the planning forum.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast