Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Gil, that map was great. If you look at the southern end, there's a maintenance shed and we usually hang a little east of that where you can kinda see a rock sticking out. You have like 180 degrees of water to look at from there. That aerial view was awesome!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Virtual Hike

Country,

What a hoot. My "Hike" was a virtual hike via Google Earth. ISince I wasn't able to physically get out their over the week-end, I wanted to do a little research so that if I am able to get out their this week-end, for either Fri night or Sat night, I'll have the lay of the land. Same with the other forum mates that are thinking of coming out, ie., GuitarGeek, etc....

The place does look sweet. I really enjoyed your pictures. You did a great job when you and Danielle were out there. It looks like a great place for a hang and I'm hopefully going to get to see it this week-end. Even if I can't stay over I might try to hike in on Saturday at some point with my Golden Retriever Charlie. He's a real trip. Loves the woods. Loves the water. What a combination.

Hope to see you soon.

Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Ha, I thought you went out there. We were (cosmic and I) thinking of hanging on the northern side this time. There are a few good hang sites over there and from where you get down to the reservoir, it's only a 20 min. or so hike to the northern side. Some of us might not be right on the water but I don't mind hanging back in the woods a bit because I want to try out the doors on my tarp and I can't do that right next to the water cuz I need to steak it out pretty wide.

I'll let you all know when I know more about the parking situation, but good to know we could potentially park right off 116. I might have to start getting my gear together tonight! and sleep in the hammock in the living room! Can't wait for the weekend, the perfect end to a week of conferences at work...

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Country,

The North Side looks great too. I did see the Maint Shed on the southerly side. I'm like you. nice to have a room with a view, but I don't mind hanging back ( no pun intended, but it was pretty funny), in order to get my set up right. I hang in a big ol' HH Safari with a Hennessy Hex over top. It suits me fine and I don't like to feel crowded in, so being back off of the water is no issue for me. Just being out there with folks of similar interest is fun.

Hope to see you out there. Glad to know that you and Cosmic have set the stage by walking in and out with packs, etc...... You've got yhe "neighbors" trained well by now. Great job! :-)

Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Barrettgajr - thanks for the map! Looks fantastic!

Yeah, they're calling for rain and wind Friday night. Grr. I'll probably get up there early/mid afternoon Friday. I have to leave somewhat early on Saturday. Kinda sucks, but it is what it is. How far is the hike around from the south side to the north side? Might have to play around with mapping things out on Google earth. That was cool!

Frank

If you back get out there in a couple of weeks I'd love to join you guys

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Smile Hike Distances

Guitar,

The Hike from the Southerly side to the Northerly side via hiking to the West is .34 miles.

The Hike from the Southerly side to the Northerly side via hiking to the East is .67 miles.

See Map.

http://productforums.google.com/foru...ns/mZ440JQXvsU

Very "doable" in either direction. For an old guy like me, I'll opt for the Westerly route.
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Hey guitar, the hike from the maintenance shed to the north side only takes 15 or 20 minutes. The best spots on that side are on the western end of the northern side so it wouldn't even be hiking half way around. You have to cross a small stream. There are wobbly rocks to step on...be careful!

Jolly, I'm sure we'll be out there again. We'd love to have you. I was thinking of trying to hang at Fitzgerald lake next time. It's a lot closer to me and there's a nice parking lot. Fitzgerald lake is in Florence, MA if you want to look at it. It's small and there are a lot of trails and hikers, but I think we'd have the place to ourselves in the evening. It's been a while since I hiked around there so I'll have to go back and see if there are signs saying no camping. I'm pretty sure it would be fine though. And fishing is allowed there.

I did see the weather report...hopefully we will still be able to have a fire...

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    PARKING SITUATION
    So, I just talked to Gagne and asked about parking. He said we could park 4 cars there before 9:30 PM and possibly 2 more after 9:30. So I'm thinking if no more people decide to come we will be all set for parking. I told him that we'd stop in and pay him 5 or 10 bucks. I'm going to give him $10 since we've parked there a lot and never paid him, but $5 should be fine also. If for some reason we get more people, there is a popular hiking area just before you get to Gagne's (I think it's the Mt Holyoke Range) and there is a huge parking lot, so some of us might have to coordinate our arrival times so that we could leave some cars in that parking lot. Gagne's is open until 9:30 on Friday so he should be there when all of us who are planning on going so far get there.

Look forward to seeing you all!

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling
    Wowee - you guys have been busy! This is shaping up

Tri-pod: I've got my fingers crossed for you! The incubator is at the top of the running for my first UQ purchase and I would just LOVE to see one in action. As it is, I don't know how I'm going to survive the night... but I will! Might try the hot water Nalgene trick in combo with some reflectex, a second sleeping bag and CountryRoads' pad (if she'll let me borrow it!)

Barrett - Such a cool idea for the map! My work computer isn't able to figure it out, but I'll check it out soon!

Country Roads - Two Thumbs Up on checking with Gagnes!!!! Yipppeee! That guy is so cool Also - I LOVE Fitzgerald Lake! I used to do after school work out sessions with this teen in Northampton (one of the most fun jobs I've ever had) and he and I would walk through Fitz Lake all the time! It was awesome, one time we got stuck in there for like 5 hours and got super lost, only to pop out in this gloriously humongous field! Let's HAMMOCK THERE!

Jolly - HECK YEAH dude! We'll be back, time and time again - we'd love to have you!

Yippee

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast