Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Climashield quilt questions

I've decided to build a proper top quilt to go along with my proper under quilt, but finding information on DIY top quilts seems to be a bit problematic for me...

From what I can tell, All I need to do is get my material to the right length, then sow around the edges then add some snaps/ties/velcro and a drawstring to make a foot box.

Is it really that simple to work with Climashield?

Also, for the bottom quilt, if I wanted to add a layer of insultex, would it be better to add it to the hammock side, or the outer side? Would adding only a single layer do anything?

I intend to use 6oz Climashield. in the KAQ pattern.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Yes, it's that easy!

Figure out the size and shape, add seam allowances and how you're going to do the footbox. Measure at least twice, cut once, lay it all together, stitch most of the way around, turn it right side out, sew opening closed, install footbox.

Once turned I added a row of top-stitching an inch in from the edge both for fashion and to absolutely ensure that the climashield was well secured at the edges.

The climashield likes to stretch when you're trying to lay it out so be very patient with it so that you don't have it neither crumpled nor overstretched.

I also used really narrow, like one inch, strips of no-seuum (tulle would also work) on the underside to keep the climashield from catching in the presser foot and the dog-teeth, YMMV.

Are there any guidelines for size about?

I guess 5' wide is pretty much standard, How long should I make it to accommodate the footbox and whatnot?

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I recently made a Climashield TQ and I'd say 45-50 inches wide is plenty. I tapered mine from 45 at the head to 35 at the foot. For length, i'd say 75 inches is pretty safe. I used 4 yards of fabric and mine came out just barely long enough. When I do it again i'll make it a little longer.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I measured mine from playing with a throw while I played at being a couch potato...

Length will vary by your height. I snuggle in my bedding and I like my quilts well tucked around my shoulders and room for my feet to move so I took my height and added 10 - 12".

Width will also be determined by your body shape. Play with either a throw or a sheet until you figure out how wide you want it.

I played with the design of the footbox because I didn't think I'd like the gathered end or square box styles...something just didn't sit right with me. Sure enough, I mostly sleep with my feet apart as opposed to together or crossed. I ended up with a very slight taper and a flat folded footbox so that I can shove each foot into a corner.

The neat thing about DIY is that you can make it exactly to suit YOU!!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    My CS TQ from AHE (forgive me Father, I have sinned) is great, but was too billowy (that is now, officially, a word), because there are no baffles to tie it all together. Sandpiper showed me how to tack it all together without compressing the CS, and it is all good.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Cs & ix

Regarding adding a layer of insultex - probably on the hammock (inside) side of the quilt because it is, more or less, a vapor barrier.

Aside from that, I tried adding a layer of CS to IX UQ last summer. IX already doesn't compress well but when mixed with a layer of CS, the problem multiplied. The 3 layer IX UQ had been a little bigger than a Nalgene bottle when all rolled up. The combo quilt would only compress to about the size of a soccer ball! That is a lot of real estate in your pack! I would stick to the CS by itself. Apex 5 or 6 will make a pretty warm UQ.

PappyAmos and I built our quilts together last year and I have camped it on some islands in the river near us. So I am packing my system down into a kayak. I can get my ENO one link the top and bottom quilt and a few other articles of clothing in a XL sea to summit dry compression bag. It keeps the system dry while on the water and puts a lot of gear in one place saving room. I would not add another layer Pappy is right it does make it hard to compress.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    My CS TQ from AHE (forgive me Father, I have sinned) is great, but was too billowy (that is now, officially, a word), because there are no baffles to tie it all together. Sandpiper showed me how to tack it all together without compressing the CS, and it is all good.
    Agree with OG on this. I made a summer TQ with 2.5. Only stitched the edges. After having used it a number of times i went back to add some stitching to calm the billowiness. All good now

bill

ps mine was full size, not tappered
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hegz View Post
    Are there any guidelines for size about?

I guess 5' wide is pretty much standard, How long should I make it to accommodate the footbox and whatnot?
    I've got mine rigged so that it can be used as a UQ as well as a TQ, so I sue snaps for the foot box and a channel with shock cord to cinch the foot end shut and allow for ventialtion (I do the same thing on both ends so there's no dedicated hed or foot end). Climashield comes in 60" (5 foot) widths and most fabrics come int 62-64" widths. That makes things super easy as the only thing one needs to do is square off the ends of the insulation and cut it to length. Trim you shell material to 61" +/- and use the trimmings to lay on top of the Climashield when you sew it to the shells to keep the foot from getting caught up in it, or to make side channels for the UQ application.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast