WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

North Shore Oct 13-16, First camp with WBRR

So i went up to the north shore these last couple days and definitely learn a couple things about hanging and figured I'd share my experience with you here.

So the first night (Sunday) we stayed some place just south of Duluth because we were getting up there pretty late. I set my self up on two trees that were just a little to close, about 12 ft. Not the most comfortable lay for the Ridge Runner. I made it work for the night, but probably should have just changed it before i went to bed. Had a creek in my neck in the morning, Once i got up in the morning around 6:30 cause i was just sick of trying to get some decent sleep in the thing. I found the perfect tree just to the right about 10 feet. Gotta be more diligent about picking my trees was my first lesson.

Second night we went up to Tettegouche state park and were the only one there, at least in the cart-in sites. So the lady at the desk talked us into getting the scenic view site right on a 40ft cliff above the lake. Sounded great! I decided to pitch about 20ft from the cliffs edge thinking i would have an awesome view in the morning. Well not paying attention to the weather was my big mistake here. Monday night and Tuesday morning a storm rolled in off the lake. My Superfly held up pretty good, I could see water slowing coming in through the pullout which i expected after doing some reading. But the wind was my real enemy that night. We were getting gust of 30mph wind at 38 degrees out and to top it off the waves were hitting the cliffs hard enough to send water over the top and on to my tarp and through my head door. By 4 am my stakes on my head door were getting ripped out of the ground, and just leaving the doors flapping hard, and blowing water onto my down UQ. My tarp just caught the wind to like a sail, the side parallel to the cliff was completely bowed in and the opposing side was completely bowed out with my left swaying back and forth. So i ended up getting up twice before dawn to reset door anchors and on the third time the sun was finally up and i had had enough of getting tossed around all night. I got up and ripped everything down and reset under a bunch of evergreen that blocked the wind off the lake and also gave me cover from above. My second lesson was to pitch out of the wind, give yourself some cover from the element especially when the weather isn't going to cooperate.

Third night was pretty good. I had my new spot with tree cover. I could hear the waves crashing against the rocks but didn't have to deal with the water the brought up top. I was out of the wind for the most part so my tarp staying where it was suppose to no bowing in. But with the Ridge Runner you just cant close the doors all the way. So I think what I am going to do in mod the doors with 4 loops of gross gain and make some shock cord prussiks with cord locks and a 2"x.5" piece of plastic so they are easy to close up tight, still leaving a 6"x6" open at the top because of the suspension. But i think if i can get the doors really closed up tight i can trap a little more heat.

All in all i had a great time. Got to test my new WBRR and Superfly along with my new DIY UQ. Some mods to work on and alot of things learned.

Ive attached the picture of my set up from the second night when nature came at me with a vengence.

Hope you enjoyed, and maybe it will help someone else going out for there first time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    We camp at the Tettegouche cart in sites every year. Below was my setup over the big lake in late August...Love it up there, but your right, if the weather gets rough best be off that lake a bit..

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...1&d=1382054221
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

Hammock
    diy 1.1 oz
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Insulation
    hg incubator
    Suspension
    dutch whoopie hook
    Not being able to shut the doors is something I learned as well. I'm going to make a tarp with a ridge line that's as long as the distance between the suspension hardware as soon as I figure out the right lay angle.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    sounds like a rough time... but still fun

I camped in that same spot about two years ago! We also had a windy stormy night!

I've found that the "pillow" that is sewn in on the ridgerunner is nice when you have the perfect hang, but really terrible if you're trees are too close, or you have too much slack in the WBRR. Happy Hanging and hopefully I'll see ya on the trail soon
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I can just imagine what it would be like to set up there in the fall, wake up on a calm,crisp morning....and drink in that view, along with a cup of hot joe. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.9/1.1 CAMO
    Tarp
    Superfly CAMO
    Insulation
    YETI CAMO
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    I can just imagine what it would be like to set up there in the fall, wake up on a calm,crisp morning....and drink in that view, along with a cup of hot joe. Thanks for sharing.
    +1 on this! I know from living on the lake here in Northern Wisconsin, she can get pretty mean at times, with the wind, and driving rains. On the flip side, (most times) Lake Superior can be an absolute thing of beauty.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images

Re: North Shore Oct 13-16, First camp with WBRR

Mother nature can be o so beautiful but also very unforgiving if you set up in the wrong place....thanks for the timely reminder.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I tell ya though, couldn't ask for better weather to do a gear test. Best most relaxing brutal camping experience yet.

Chuckling as I read your post. I'm in N central Minn. That indeed was a hard, wet blow. Would of been a heck of a fall blizzard if temps were lower!

Would have loved to test my new Mambajamba on that cliff. Hopefully Tettegouche hammock-style next yr for me. We have day-hiked that back-country lakes there and the lookout in autumn was breathtaking.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for sharing your lessons learned. It sounded like quiet the blustery night.

• + New Posts