Tarp
    DD XL/ exped 1.5x3
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag+Under
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

CA>SoCal>Secluded Spot

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I'm looking to plan an overnighter, but I don't know where to go!

I'm looking for something secluded, in other words, not an established camp site, or at worst a primitive site, with up to a 5 mile hike in and out. Loops are fine, just not more than 10 miles.

So basically anywhere with trees, water and it's legal to use a stove!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY

CA>SoCal>Secluded Spot

Hey David,
    Sespe area in Ojai is probably my favorite secluded escape. Lots of opportunities to explore. Unfortunately the area is still in extreme fire danger & stoves are not currently allowed.

The San Gabriel's have a lot of good escapes and some semi secluded campgrounds.
    Spruce Grove is a great one, has fire rings, maybe 5-6 miles in and part of a gorgeous loop. It's popular with day hikers on the weekend, so you'll only get your secluded time after dark or on a week day.
    I'm just starting to explore the San Garbriel's dispersed camping options and next week I'll be poking around Bear Creek to see just how far off trail I can get.
    A good topo map or app helps (MotionX and/or Gaia on iOS are pretty handy)
    Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, & narrow-mindedness, & many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men & things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
    Mark Twain

Hammocking in SoCal

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY

CA>SoCal>Secluded Spot

Oops, forgot to mention you need a campfire permit before up ignite anything.
    Easiest way is online & print it small (I do 4 to a page, slap some packing tape on as a laminate).
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sequoi...fsbdev3_059516
    Seems like a common sense test, but on my last overnight there was a group that packed up camp and left with 2 foot FLAMES still burning in their pit. Called them out one guy walked back to kick it a bit. All this at the end of summer, grr.
    Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, & narrow-mindedness, & many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men & things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
    Mark Twain

Hammocking in SoCal

Hammock
    Exped Scout Combi
    Tarp
    DD XL/ exped 1.5x3
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag+Under
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks TheQ, I will probably do the Spruce Grove one as I've been to Sespe area and found it a little arid!

Thanks for the reminder on the permit, I have to check if my last one is still valid! I laminate mine and keep it with my cook kit!

Thanks again for the help!

David

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY

CA>SoCal>Secluded Spot

Just finished a new trail. The Bear Creek trail off of the San Gabriel River West Fork. Definitely not heavily traveled; we kept on losing the main trail to brush & rocks but it's a relatively narrow canyon so it was easy to keep in the right direction.
    Super easy to find the trail head, just park for SG West Fork, hike in the round for 1 mile (there are painted mile markers) and break north at the first bridge.

We were aiming for Upper Bear but stopped about a mile after the creek dried up & cruised back to a small clearing. Easy water access for at least 3 miles after the trailhead.

Mark Twain

Hammocking in SoCal

• + New Posts