Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images

Best Bug Net Style for an 11'-er

So this is my newest hammock-related problem, which, in some areas where I camp, will be pretty important. My hammock is 11', with about a 109" rl, although I may lengthen that to 110 or 111. Now I need to make a bug net for it, but I can't decide on the right design. I have been throwing around the 4 popular ones: the TED, like I already have for my Eno DN, the Fronkey version, the Dejoha tube version, and the HUG. Here is a brief overview of what I like/might dislike about each:

TED: it offers full coverage, is roomy, and is easy to get out of. However, it uses a lot of material, is pretty heavy (the one for my DN made with no-see-um is about 10oz), and I still need to put something on it to prevent the top flap from blowing freely in the slightst breeze.

Fronkey: it offers coverage over the whole body from the top, seems easy enough to get in and out of, and uses less fabric than the TED. But on really warm nights when I may not even need my thin PLUQ, my backside will be exposed to the skeeters as it plugs the entry hole. It also seems like there isn't really a good way to get it out of the way when you have it attached to the suspension, but don't want it covering you.

Dejoha Tube: so far this is my favorite for using less materials and saving weight while still getting full coverage. I like the ease of being able to loosen it and slide it over to one side. The problem is that with an 11' hammock it seems like it would be a little difficult to reach the drawstrings to open it when you need to.

HUG: it is by far the winner in the lightweight category, ease of use, and cheapest (in terms of how much material I need to buy). But if it is warm enough to worry about bugs, I wonder how much insulation I'll be using to be able to protect the rest of me!

So anyone with an 11' hammock or bigger, please chime in with what bug net you use! I will probably be using nanoseeum mesh on the new one to save more on weight.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    depends on season
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't think theirs a best type for an 11". It all comes down to what works best for you.

I use a fronkey style on my hammock and love it. Easy to get in and out of and easy to close up. But I don't usually sleep in heat that would require no insulation due to Ga weather.

From reading your comments it seems like you may often sleep with no bottom insulation. In that case the Tube sounds the best option IMO. It can be moved out of the way if not needed and covers all of you when needed. You just may need to pull yourself up to get to the end though.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My philosophy on bugnets is that I want to exit my hammock quickly.

Integrated bugnet (zipper): The antithesis of quick exit - I can't sleep in a hammock with integrated bugnet.

TED & Tube: Don't want no top entry, don't want no tube - I wanna get out of my hammock quick.

Hug: A bugnet protection system based on keeping my insulation in place is a non-starter.

The Winner: Fronkey - Slap your feet on the ground - swing the bug net over yer head and start running.

By the way, I've been using a BIAS Buginator (similar to Fronkey bugnet) for a couple of years and have yet to have an attack from the bottom. I don't even cinch the shock cord 'cause skeeters are too stupid to fly down and then up into the bugnet. They're attracted to carbon dioxide and attack head on (horizontally). I'm a skeeter magnet with sweet blood and if skeeters could figure out how to get to me through the bottom entry, they would have figured it out by now.

Like I said, I don't even cinch the bottom entry shut 'cause it makes no difference - mosquitoes aren't bright enough to fly down and then up to get to their target (my butt).
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 10-24-2013 at 23:38.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Sounds like sound logic there, Silvrsurfr! Any weight estimate, there?

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have a NanoBuginator that weighs in at 7 oz., and a Buginator at 8.8 oz.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Awesome, still both less than my TED, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

• + New Posts