Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganHiker View Post
    I have only been there when there is no snow. Coming in on the M65 side would add considerably to the hike, snowshoe or ski in. I will try to check with the forest service to see if Ausable Road is plowed. I know that in the past they have plowed some of the parking areas.
    I agree. Just did the hike in from M65 to Byon Lake this past weekend. Took about 3 1/2 hours because we were taking our time. A 6 mile hike in with gear in the winter could be kind of brutal. If Ausable is open and passable, go with that. But, who know's with our Michigan winters...last year at the same time of year there was little or no snow on the ground.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    But, who know's with our Michigan winters...last year at the same time of year there was little or no snow on the ground.
    That was pretty depressing Crossing my fingers for a HUGE snow a few days before this trip!

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    You guys and this negative snow talk . sNo need to worry .

2013–2014 U.S. Weather Highlights
    Frigid Winter With Bitter Cold and Heavy Snow
    Brrrrr! It looks like global warming will soon be taking a vacation to make room for Old Man Winter. This frosty forecast comes courtesy of The 2014 Old Farmer’s Almanac, available in digital or print on our Web site now—or, in your local store!

According to the newest edition of North America’s oldest continuously published periodical, a decline in solar activity combined with ocean-atmosphere patterns in the Pacific and Atlantic will result in below-normal temperatures and above-normal snowfall during most of the winter across much of the United States.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yeah I believe the NWS was saying temps "much below average" and precip "above average" for our area!

Unfortunatley I can't trust them since they did a complete 180° on the November prediction just a few days into November. Either way, mid-January is a good time to expect some good snow so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I agree. Just did the hike in from M65 to Byon Lake this past weekend. Took about 3 1/2 hours because we were taking our time. A 6 mile hike in with gear in the winter could be kind of brutal. If Ausable is open and passable, go with that. But, who know's with our Michigan winters...last year at the same time of year there was little or no snow on the ground.
    Did you get some more pics of Byron lake and environs . Is there much deadfall wood around ?

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Taser View Post
    If he ask for a picture....run. Surprised me how many people are on two web site. LT can ya handle hanging with this many trolls?
    heck yea!about time i visited my lower mi. brothers.,come to think of it except my lady i have never hung with a yooper.
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Could be us Hoosiers may outnumber you guys . Altho I hold dual citizenship since I pay your OUTRAGEOUS Michigan property tax .

Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    Did you get some more pics of Byron lake and environs . Is there much deadfall wood around ?
    We didn't have any problem finding plenty of wood in the general vicinity of our campsite. Our site was the established one on the top of the hill on the north side of Byron Lake. It had a fire ring with cooking grate and benches. This picture shows our site, but in the background closer to the lake is another rustic site that we looked at as an option. If it was windy, we probably would have gone for it, but having the bench was a bonus. IMHO, these would both be great sites for the winter hang with lots of hanging options and room for 2 fires. Lake access is easy but the shore area is shallow.

Here's a few images from this past weekend.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Looks nice! Byron sure is shallow along the edge. I was disappointed since I took my collapsible fishing pole. But I was able to land some nice bass out of South Hoist Lake!

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Thnks much for the pics and report . Hill looks cool ( cold) depending on winds and temps eh ? Is there a nice little cozy holler somewhere . Im still thinking zero .

Yeah I see lots of little pine windbreaks in your photos . Hoist Lake rules are .......
    Camping anywhere as long as 200 feet off the trail or in designated spots .

Hunting allowed

No motorized vehicles of any kind .
    Last edited by riverjoe; 11-06-2013 at 21:11.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast