DIY HEX70 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY Sylpoly Cat
    Insulation
    CCF pad w/ TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies/MSH

Indiana>Knobstone Trail (north section)

I'm planning a hike this spring. I was thinking about giving this one a try. A buddy lives in northern Indiana, the drive would be the same for him (3 hrs) as its would be for me (east-central Illinois).

I can't find the answer to; how many miles is it from the Oxley Memorial parking lot north to the Spurgeon-Delaney loop and back to the Oxley parking lot? Also, I was wondering if water is scarce on this trail during the spring?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images

Indiana>Knobstone Trail (north section)

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post
    I'm planning a hike this spring. I was thinking about giving this one a try. A buddy lives in northern Indiana, the drive would be the same for him (3 hrs) as its would be for me (east-central Illinois).

I can't find the answer to; how many miles is it from the Oxley Memorial parking lot north to the Spurgeon-Delaney loop and back to the Oxley parking lot? Also, I was wondering if water is scarce on this trail during the spring?
    Your route would be about 19 miles, you can get a nice map from IN.Gov for about $5 on waterproof paper. I have been trying to find time to thru-hike the Knobstone for a couple years now. Water is scarce on the trail bit usually good in the spring.

Water was overflowing when I went this April, every little ravine between the hills had water in it. Of course it had rained for 3 days before hand.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Water on the KT can often be a last minute decision. Plan on dropping water caches and be happy if you don't need them. There are plenty of trail heads along the way.

The north section is the less demanding, but technically the first 10 miles or so, on the south end, are still closed due to tornado damage from two years ago. (They are taking their time on the logging down there)

The nice thing about water caches is you also don't have to carry all your food for the trip, and you can add a few, consumable comfort items, that might never have made the trip at all.

I want this one too. Keep us updated.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Thru hike

I made it a thru hike, the entire trail in 31/2 days. I wouldn't recommend that time line but we worked are arses off doing. This was before the tornado. It is a difficult trail. But worth while.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    It's beyond me how the trailrunners do it in 24 hrs

There are some hills that make you practically want to call it a day right then and there. Miles 9-11 have caused more than one group to call home. Might change to a little further north now with the first 10 closed to logging.

Looking to train my rescue dog into at least L-1 Trail Dog Status on the KT. Right now he knows his name and at least considers commands for a second or two
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    HH Asym Exp.
    Insulation
    TR Pad w/IX Liner
    Suspension
    Huggers/quick rel.
    My buddy and I are planning on doing this again in April sometime...Water in the spring can be good, but this is the midwest and sometimes it stays fairly dry in the spring. If you haven't already stumbled onto these links check them out.
    DNR site will have any up to date closures, and they have pdf maps of the trails (north and south), but they are not too topo detailed if at all. You will need to purchase a map ($5 and change after tax). Here is the DNR link directly to the trail.
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/4224.htm
    If you have not seen this, it has all mileage, campsites, scenic spots, etc...along the entire route. Great information that someone has provided and crucial to planning water drops if it is dry.
    http://knobstonetrail.freeforums.org...guide-t20.html
    Hope this helps

• + New Posts