Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Ya I'm enjoying the time off work but I get bored. Hence all my time here on the forum. Just glad I'm getting reintroduced to tying knots and learning new methods. Even broke out my moms old thread injection machine. Hopefully get good enough to make something's to keep me occupied.
    Been out of work since the beginning of October. Glad it happened at work and it's all covered. Of all things had a tree come down and hit me.
    Hopefully we will get to see some pictures and a few videos.
    Happy Hangin'

Aaron
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    As of now the Gaylord area has around 80" of snow fall this season with 5 to 8 forecasted for tomorrow. Hope this holds up.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Holy Moly that's a bunch of snow . Hoist lake nothing like that but holding up pretty well . I see next 10 days has at least some chance of snow every day . I was going to practice with the snow shoes a bit but as of today only remnants of the 9 inches we had are left . Always have some snow down in the river bottom all winter so guess I'll go down there and tromp around in the slush .

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    UGQ H11WB
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WBBB straps
    Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    Just wondering about road conditions to the west Hoist Lake parking lot . Mapquesting Mio to Oscoda gives the first option as the River road which should take us right past the parking lot or real close to it , so it must be plowed wouldn't you think ?

Vulture if you're still lurking out there . I wonder if I could talk you into a road report on about the 7th or 8th .
    I'll try to drive the West lot road then and provide a report.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    Holy Moly that's a bunch of snow . Hoist lake nothing like that but holding up pretty well . I see next 10 days has at least some chance of snow every day . I was going to practice with the snow shoes a bit but as of today only remnants of the 9 inches we had are left . Always have some snow down in the river bottom all winter so guess I'll go down there and tromp around in the slush .
    I tried a little snow shoeing today -20" of powder turned trail breaking into quite a workout. Also tried to test hang my heavy-as-sin DIY UQ...not sure if I gave it a fair test because I made the mistake of bringing along my stubby-legged Beagle mix and he got cold waiting for me to set things up and try to hang for awhile. Of course I had to pick a raging storm to do all this in I didn't have time to properly warm up my feet and hands before I tried hanging...but I've got a few concerns about the readiness of my equipment to take me into the teens + whatever windchill is.

I might have to back out of this trip, because I don't want to be "that guy" who needs help. But even if I don't camp, I might come for a meet and greet Saturday afternoon and hopefully garner a bit more info on cold weather hanging.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    I think one of the main goals of these winter campouts are to test your gear and your cold weather tolerance while surrounded by helpful likewise crazy people .

Im looking forward to my first really cold hammock experiance . Our spring outing turned into sort of a winter outing but that really didn't count . I don't think anyone would judge "that guy" . Im filling my truck up with extra gear like MSS sleeping bag , wool blankets, mickey mouse boots etc for any that might need them .

Ive got about 4 winter campouts under my belt as a ground dweller and I learn something on every one . I think it's going to be a really beutiful spot with over 1 foot of snow and all those pines and hills .

I have come to believe if your equipment is marginal the hot water bottles in your foot box etc will see you thru . I have made a bag to store extra metal water bottles in after there heated up (altho Ive never needed more then one ). I have trouble getting my long skinny feet to warm up a footbox and with the water bottle giving just that little boost it makes all the differance .

Also Im bringing my Extreme Cold Camper rescue pod for anyone who gets chilled or just wants to relax in a woomblike setting .
    Last edited by riverjoe; 12-22-2013 at 20:58.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Be careful what you wish for . Latest snow map shows this particular shade of green = 20 inches . Not much chance of melting ( in fact no chance ) before the 10th .

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm liking that map more and more each day!

I really hope they back these temps down to mid-20s for a high, but this is still acceptable:

Still a ways out, so expect changes.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Ewwue I don't care for that much . I like squeaky snow . Be great packing for an igloo tho .

Hammock
    GT Ultralight/DIY
    Tarp
    big daddy
    Insulation
    pad/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps/whoopie
    This is going to be interesting. I'm more worried about the hike in than sleeping warm. With that much snow it's going to be a pain. Hope the old snow shoes hold up and someone has broken a trail. Tested the alky stove to double check as heat if needed. Saws good to go. Mother nature gave me some wood to test them on.

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast