Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Sorry to hear that Bounder . I've seen other comments on that ice storm , must have been a killer . We missed it all down in the tropics .

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    I figure camping and being without power are the same thing. I like to think of myself as a homeless person in training.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well, I'm still in as long as projected lows stay above 0...would be more comfortable with a low in the teens. I understand cannister stoves don't work so well in the cold, so I assembled a soda can stove today...can't wait until wally world opens back up so I can get some alcohol and test the stove. I might build one with a little bit stouter material though, the aluminum in diet coke cans is really thin.

Merry Christmas Hammock Forum members!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by 3club View Post
    I figure camping and being without power are the same thing. I like to think of myself as a homeless person in training.
    3club, I noticed the encampment in BC by the river on Thanksgiving...I'm not sure if anyone was hanging in a hammock but there were quite a few tarps there.

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    I was just told a couple hours ago that they were driven out. They've been there a couple years I think.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    Well, I'm still in as long as projected lows stay above 0...would be more comfortable with a low in the teens. I understand cannister stoves don't work so well in the cold, so I assembled a soda can stove today...can't wait until wally world opens back up so I can get some alcohol and test the stove. I might build one with a little bit stouter material though, the aluminum in diet coke cans is really thin.

Merry Christmas Hammock Forum members!
    Always get an esbit stove from the army surplus stores . Usually about $5 around here with about 10 tabs . A little odiferous but they always work and you can augment them with sticks etc .

Hammock
    GT Ultralight/DIY
    Tarp
    big daddy
    Insulation
    pad/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps/whoopie
    I used a monster can and a small paint can for my alcohol stove. Works like a charm. 12 to 15 min. burn on 2 oz. of heet. Give or take a few. Heats a canteen cup to a boil. Takes more if melting snow.

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    3club, I noticed the encampment in BC by the river on Thanksgiving...I'm not sure if anyone was hanging in a hammock but there were quite a few tarps there.
    Okay, I just got caught up on the news. The camp was evicted. They've been there for a number of years, but the Michigan DOT was pressing the police to enforce the anti-trespassing laws the campers were breaking. They were camping on unused public land that nobody is allowed to be on.

They are homeless people who stay there by choice. There are shelters they could go to, but they aren't allowed to bring their belongings inside, and their stuff gets stolen. Also, the shelters have strict rules against drugs and alcohol use. So the homeless prefer to live outdoors, even in the winter.

One lady living there has been homeless for two years, and is six months pregnant. Yeah, okay.....

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/video.../2924369991001

Anyhow, the government, which knows what is best for us, has evicted them for their own safety. They say it's not safe to try to layer up and brave the elements.

So here we are, making plans to go a couple hundred miles further north, in the very dead of winter, for fun! You all know, most people say we're freaking nuts!

Hammock
    Hammeck netty & NX-270
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 40*
    Suspension
    Whoopy-Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Hey Mike. Personally I'd leave the filter at home due to freezing. Melting snow can be discouraging since the payout is pretty weak. Depending on the moisture content (10:1, 20:1, etc) you can fill your pot and end up with just a few ounces at the bottom. But it works.

I plan on breaking chunks of ice out of the lake. It can take a little longer to melt, but you come out ahead with a lot more water for less work. You can throw some chemical treatment in afterwards if you don't want to wait for a full boil to disinfect. This saves fuel.
    I think I'll bring the filter just in case, the N.C.T. side of the loop does not have any water any way and the Manistee River Trail side has a stream every mile or so, I don't know how much of it will be frozen. I topped off my gas bottle just in case I need the fuel. I feel safer with the filter. If I need to use it i'll dry it and keep it close to my body. I plan on doing the N.C.T. side first. Merry Christmas!

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by indiver View Post
    I think I'll bring the filter just in case, the N.C.T. side of the loop does not have any water any way and the Manistee River Trail side has a stream every mile or so, I don't know how much of it will be frozen. I topped off my gas bottle just in case I need the fuel. I feel safer with the filter. If I need to use it i'll dry it and keep it close to my body. I plan on doing the N.C.T. side first. Merry Christmas!
    ??? NCT??? The NCT does not run through the Hoist area.

Regarding taking ice from the lake taking longer to boil, I think it would be quicker. The water below the ice must be at least 32 degrees, so the ice must be very close to that. The snow away from the lake, however, could be much colder than 32 degrees. So I think it would be quicker to melt a pound of near 32 degree frozen water than a pound of way below 32 snow. Either way, you have to melt a pound to get a pint.

However, if you've already broken through the ice on the lake, just scoop up some water!

If you can't quite get it up to a boil long enough, or you just want to filter the chunks out, I'd filter only very hot water, and then suck all the remaining water out of the filter while it's still warm, then quickly stick it back inside an inner pocket. Without a heat source running through it, it will freeze alarmingly quickly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast