DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Thanks, Syrrka! That's mighty kind of you to say. Yep, it's a tablecloth hammock. THIS ONE HERE

Now, back to Boulderv7's thread:

Boulderv7: How'd the painting the anchors go? Got any pictures? I'd really like to see how those anchors blend into the wall. Do you take down the hammock when not in use?
    Finally got em painted. Here's what they look like. The last one shows how well they blend in. At least I think they do...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 with weathershield
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    Finally got em painted. Here's what they look like. The last one shows how well they blend in. At least I think they do...
    Looks great! They really do blend right in.

Do you know how much those anchors will support? We are currently researching what type of hardware to use to hang in our house. How did you decide what to use?
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Thanks, Syrrka! That's mighty kind of you to say. Yep, it's a tablecloth hammock. THIS ONE HERE

Now, back to Boulderv7's thread:

Boulderv7: How'd the painting the anchors go? Got any pictures? I'd really like to see how those anchors blend into the wall. Do you take down the hammock when not in use?
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalHope View Post
    Looks great! They really do blend right in.

Do you know how much those anchors will support? We are currently researching what type of hardware to use to hang in our house. How did you decide what to use?
    Well, I went to Menards's and got the strongest eye bolts they had. Each bolt is rated to 350lbs. Not very much, but more than I weigh.They hold fine with no issues yet. They are screwed directly into studs very near the top of the wall. There is an overhead beam that is load bearing that spans the gap between both eye bolts. So my idea is that the load from the hammock is transferred to the studs, pulling them towards each other, and that load is spread along the length of the overhead beam, much like the overhead bar on a turtledog stand. At least I hope.
    If your worried about strength, you can get rock climbing anchor hangers. Which I probably should have done, seeing as I work at a climbing gym. lol. They should be rated around 5,000 lbs or so.
    http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/rock-anchors-0/coeur
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    the painting looks great!

What I was most impressed with was the video on the bottom right of the Petzl page regarding ice screws.

How would one use the bolt anchor?

~~~~~~~~

I also liked this gentleman's remarks re: titianium:
    What is happening here is called Stress Corrosion Cracking. There are many different forms and it can effect any type of metal metal if the conditions are correct. These conditions include, but aren't limited to: high temperatures, a preload (static load) on the anchor, and the presence of a corrosive element. In tropical marine environments we encounter all of these. The large seasonal swings in humidity play a role to accelerate the process as well as the hummic acid rich waters that permeate the limestone itself. Marine environments also can have high levels of magnesium salts which contribute to this problem with stainless steels.

one of the main difficulties, as pointed out above, is that it is impossible to adequately inspect the anchors. there may be little to no rust visible, but where the anchor enters the rock small cracks can penetrate through the entire bolt (perpendicular to the stress vector). Another issue is that the porosity and salt content inside the rock can vary greatly from place to place and so some anchors on a route may be affected whereas others are not. The bottom line is that stainless steel is dangerous in tropical marine environments.

How do we climb safely? The guys at Petzl make great points above. Additionally, glue-in anchors are safer by definition as there is no axial static stress. Unfortunately, this problem is inherently a material problem and some stainless steel resin anchors have still failed in the field. Without doubt, the Petzl Bat'inox and Collinox have shown them selves to be the safest stainless steel resin anchors used in Southern Thailand, but they have still failed in laboratory testing with the the same environment.

The solution that we have found to address this problem on the Pra Nang Pennisula in Southern Thailand (Tonsai) is using titanium resin anchors with a marine (impermeable) resin. Titanium is not subject to stress corrosion cracking under the same circumstances as 304 and 316 stainless steels. The anchors have proven safe in the field and in labs. Currently this is the best practice and is being done in several locations throughout the world. For more information check out http://thaitaniumproject.com/ Josh Lyons has made a great video on this dangerous issue and it is full of information. We are currently working hard to replace all of the anchors in Southern Thailand. Be educated, be safe, and I hope to see you in Thailand!

-Stephen Gladieux
    Metallurgist and member of the Thaitanium Project
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Cute pup! The hammock is for the dog right. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    the painting looks great!

What I was most impressed with was the video on the bottom right of the Petzl page regarding ice screws.

How would one use the bolt anchor?

~~~~~~~~

I also liked this gentleman's remarks re: titianium:
    What is happening here is called Stress Corrosion Cracking. There are many different forms and it can effect any type of metal metal if the conditions are correct. These conditions include, but aren't limited to: high temperatures, a preload (static load) on the anchor, and the presence of a corrosive element. In tropical marine environments we encounter all of these. The large seasonal swings in humidity play a role to accelerate the process as well as the hummic acid rich waters that permeate the limestone itself. Marine environments also can have high levels of magnesium salts which contribute to this problem with stainless steels.

one of the main difficulties, as pointed out above, is that it is impossible to adequately inspect the anchors. there may be little to no rust visible, but where the anchor enters the rock small cracks can penetrate through the entire bolt (perpendicular to the stress vector). Another issue is that the porosity and salt content inside the rock can vary greatly from place to place and so some anchors on a route may be affected whereas others are not. The bottom line is that stainless steel is dangerous in tropical marine environments.

How do we climb safely? The guys at Petzl make great points above. Additionally, glue-in anchors are safer by definition as there is no axial static stress. Unfortunately, this problem is inherently a material problem and some stainless steel resin anchors have still failed in the field. Without doubt, the Petzl Bat'inox and Collinox have shown them selves to be the safest stainless steel resin anchors used in Southern Thailand, but they have still failed in laboratory testing with the the same environment.

The solution that we have found to address this problem on the Pra Nang Pennisula in Southern Thailand (Tonsai) is using titanium resin anchors with a marine (impermeable) resin. Titanium is not subject to stress corrosion cracking under the same circumstances as 304 and 316 stainless steels. The anchors have proven safe in the field and in labs. Currently this is the best practice and is being done in several locations throughout the world. For more information check out http://thaitaniumproject.com/ Josh Lyons has made a great video on this dangerous issue and it is full of information. We are currently working hard to replace all of the anchors in Southern Thailand. Be educated, be safe, and I hope to see you in Thailand!

-Stephen Gladieux
    Metallurgist and member of the Thaitanium Project
    I would use a lag screw and a washer. At the climbing gym use large lag bolts and washers on both sides. This would be ideal, but for a pretty much static load such as a hammock, a lag screw should be fine.

Pretty cool stuff on climbing anchors. Those ice screws are amazing, as long as the ice is solid!!
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    Cute pup! The hammock is for the dog right. ;-)
    Thanks! She took over our bed and now she's taking over our hammocks! She is a spoiled girl.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Here's my indoor hamock

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    Here's my indoor hamock
    [IMG] https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-J...2018.05.31.jpg [/IMG]
    Nice. I love mine for taking naps!
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    Thanks! She took over our bed and now she's taking over our hammocks! She is a spoiled girl.
    Good to hear she's spoiled! We leave my hammock up all the time. When I'm not in it, I slide an ottoman under it. That way, when one of the cats jumps in, it doesn't swing wildly and doesn't swallow them up like a burrito! They don't seem to notice the difference. They still love the hammock with or without the "safety ottoman" underneath!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast