WB Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Pad
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle

Newbie question here about fabrics for DIY Hammock

Hi guys, Im planning to make my first DIY Hammock, I want something simple like the gathered hammock tutorial, the problem is that all of the great internet stores are not an option for me since I couldn't manage the international shipping costs. So Im searching for fabrics here in my country, the question is: What are all the recommended and optimal fabrics that I could use for a Hammock, and the different forms of names that those fabrics can have?.
    For example, I come across one tablecloth with the dimensions I wanted but it only said 100% poylester, nothing else like the things some people mention in this forums (crinkle taffeta, ripstop nylon, etc.) so I couldn't determine if this tablecloth would be good or safe for me to hang in.
    I have access to a great variety of fabrics too, but in spanish it doesn't match at all with the terms here, the only one that I founded was a Taffeta only, not crinkle, and again I didn't get it because I wasn't sure if this fabric would be enough to making a hammock

Just a little more info about my project: I weight 154 lbs and I want the option that the hammock can handle me and my girlfriend which she is 105 lbs. , Im thinking in 60 x 120 " or 90 x 120". Color is not that important. I already got the whoopies and paracord for the whipping.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti, Mamba & HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I wish that I could help you, but I cannot.
    I hope someone comes along that can. Best of luck.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alianza86 View Post
    For example, I come across one tablecloth with the dimensions I wanted but it only said 100% poylester,
    100% polyester is probably a fine choice depending on the weight of the fabric. It is likely a taffeta weave since that is an extremely common weave pattern. There are others as well, such as broadcloth, oxford cloth and so on. Any of those would be an acceptable choice in my mind. Just be sure you do not hang higher than you are willing to fall while checking it out.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    In general, we mostly use ripstop nylon, nylon taffeta and polyester taffeta fabrics. Crinkle taffetas are also used (frequently in the form of tablecloths).

Typically the fabric weights used are 1.9 oz/sy (ounce per square yard) for average weight hangers down to 1.1 oz/sy for lighter hangers or those not minding more stretch. Heavier weights are OK as well and of course, double layers can be used. The polyester tablecloth hammocks are 2.6 oz/sy.

Fabric weights may also be indicated by D (denier) ratings or as gsm (grams per square meter).

While exceptions exist due to weave density, generally...

- 30D = 1.1oz/sy = 37gsm
    - 70D = 1.9oz/sy = 64gsm

I hope this is of some help. Sorry we let your post slip by us for several days.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 10-29-2013 at 00:05.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Pad
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Thank you Ramblinrev and gmcttr for that great information!, Now I know what to look for

Just be sure you do not hang higher than you are willing to fall while checking it out.
    Well , thats a very good advice for the trial and error process I will have to pass in my DIY hammock hahaha

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE 20 / Phoenix20
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    You can derive a base weight for a given size then weigh the tablecloth to determine if its made from an acceptable fabric weight. For instance a 60 * 120 tablecloth would be about 5 ½ sq yards of fabric. So if you wanted a 1.9 oz fabric then the tablecloth would need to weigh approx 10 ½ ounces.

• + New Posts