Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images

ridge tension plus..

only halfway through all posts but i came accross this by Rev and thought i would question-sorry if it's been covered

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    If you delve into the archives you will find cases of the ridgeline breaking. The thing they seem to have in common is they were strung too tight to start with. Either that or someone decided to grab the ridgeline and use it as a re-adjustment line for moving about in the hammock. My ridgeline is looser when I am in the hammock than when I hang it... and I outweigh both of you.

My opinion is for sure changre the suspension unless you are looking for the lightest possible rig. The HH stock ropes are the lightest rig you can have on an HH hammock. But ring buckles make life so much easier. You may lose the attachment of the tarp to the suspension lines depending on how you convert but my advice is to upgrade the tarp to the hex and hang it separately anyway so that's no biggie.
    wow glad i'm reading more posts-first i always horse my ridgeline as tight as i can get it and have used the ridgeline many times to pull myself into position you may just have saved me some bruises! so does everyone hang the ridge loose?one of my complaints is when hung i find the fly too tight to the hammock netting-is hanging more loose (if so-how loose?)a way to get the fly raised and that little tight crease out from the back of my knees?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Yes, hanging the ridgeline loosely is very much recommended. Not only for comfort (it will help with that crease you mention), but also to prevent damage to the ridgeline and your supports (trees) from so much tension.

Use the ridgeline as a guide for your support tension - pull the suspension until the ridgeline is *just* taut. Then, when you get into the hammock it will sag just a little. Nothing is overstressed then.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images
    well not being one to wait and needing an excuse to set-up my freebie Expedition after supper i went out and set-up in the yard.all problems solved! it is a better lay and the rainfly is about 10 inches off the bugnet-perfect-thx
    p.s-well since it is set-up anyway i guess i'll have to camp out tonight-alitttle nervous about the cold though-still going below freezing tonight and abit windy.i have my ss still set-up on my Explorer and i'm not switching hammocks so i'm gonna experiment alittle -anybody else's wives think you are nuts?

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    well not being one to wait and needing an excuse to set-up my freebie Expedition after supper i went out and set-up in the yard.all problems solved! it is a better lay and the rainfly is about 10 inches off the bugnet-perfect-thx
    p.s-well since it is set-up anyway i guess i'll have to camp out tonight-alitttle nervous about the cold though-still going below freezing tonight and abit windy.i have my ss still set-up on my Explorer and i'm not switching hammocks so i'm gonna experiment alittle -anybody else's wives think you are nuts?
    let me tell ya supertramp your not alone with the way the wife thinks. My first night outside got down to 24 degrees and had a hard time falling asleep because my wife and kids kept texting me beause it was cold and they were scared. But on my way out to set up my gear all I kept getting for a look was what the heck is wrong with you. I was nice and toasty though all night long. Except my face would get cold so I pull the sleeping bag over my head. Not a good idea I'm told because of condinsation. Didn't have any though.
    Just look at her and say baby I'm just learning this stuff to take you on a romantic adventure then you'll see an even nuttier look. ha ha.
    Later ,
    TY

• + New Posts