Thread: buntline hitch

buntline hitch

NOOB trying to keep suspension simple. Would it be sufficient to attach Amsteel with fixed loop to marlin spike hitch in tree hugger with other end secured to hammock using ring and buntline hitch? I weigh 250#.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Amsteel is pretty slick. Knots can slip and they also derate the breaking strength of amsteel. I'm assuming you want to use the buntline hitch for adjustability. A whoopie sling or UCR would give you quicker adjustability than tying and untying a knot and it would allow you to have a much higher breaking strength.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan Man View Post
    NOOB trying to keep suspension simple. Would it be sufficient to attach Amsteel with fixed loop to marlin spike hitch in tree hugger with other end secured to hammock using ring and buntline hitch? I weigh 250#.
    I've done this routinely, but closer to 200#. Make sure it is a 'slippery' buntline hitch. There is something aesthetically pleasing about using only as much cord as you minimally need to hang.

It will pinch the Amsteel slippery loop, and it can sometimes be a wrestling match to undo the hitch. It seems also to be sensitive to getting the buntline tied just right; pass the slippery loop on the wrong side of the cord when completing the hitch, and there's a very good chance the hitch will twist and jam pretty hard under tension (care to guess how I know this For Sure?)

A different knot I'll use I don't even have a name for it. I take the cord, make a 'round turn' (B in the figure)

Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 2.52.17 PM.png

and then create a 'hole' by passing the working end over the top of the the standing end and then pull a bight through. Tighten up and now you've got a bight between the ring and the cord you passed over the standing end. Now I take the remaining working end, form a bight and pass the second bight through the first, and tighten up the first bight.

I'd call it the 'recursive bight' if I had the chance.

This one is harder to screw up, and is just about as easy to break up after a load has been placed on it.

That all said, I build UCRs into the suspension of my DIY hammocks and more typically use those now.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Thanks Grizz. Any reason the 'recursive bight' would be considered more or less secure than a whoopi or UCR? I could use 3mm Amsteel for any approach if recommended for my body weight.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan Man View Post
    Thanks Grizz. Any reason the 'recursive bight' would be considered more or less secure than a whoopi or UCR? I could use 3mm Amsteel for any approach if recommended for my body weight.
    You likely get more strength degradation from the tight loops around the ring than you get with a constrictor method. But with 3mm Amsteel you can have a lot of degradation and still have ample safety margin.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts