Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Am I going to freeze

I have a 3 day trip coming up this week and an unseasonably cold weather system is moving in the day we set up camp with lows in the upper 20's. I don't have time to order an UQ and all I have is a Wiggy's 20 degree bag and a thermarest pad (solar pad I think with the metallic reflective side). I've used this combo into the low 40's and was very warm, but I'm concerned about my set up this time. I'm thinking about clipping a fleece blanket/wool blanket to the bottom of my WBBB with little pony clips. Will I be totally uncomfortable? I'm a pretty hot sleeper.

Hammock
    Chameleon #8 '17
    Tarp
    Tarp got boo boo
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoops-n-Biners
    I don't think you will be totally uncomfortable but you may be pushing the boundaries. I think it will matter most to what other clothes/layers you plan on wearing under the bag. Back before I purchased an UQ and while car camping I pushed a similar set up to 27deg, moderately comfortably. I used
    bottom: packing blanket (folded): 3/4 length therm-a-rest : light weight fleece blanket on top.
    Clothing: 2 pairs of socks, warm base layers (thermal ect.), full dress (t-shirt, nylon pants), fleece jacket, Balaclava, wool hat. I didn't know better at this time to bring my old thinsulate boot liners.
    TQ: My 3lb Mountiansmith 35deg bag that I am still waiting to replace.

The Balaclava was a huge advantage.

Had I had a 20deg Wiggy I may have not needed all the clothing. I find that I am also a pretty hot sleeper, that being said at one point in the night I woke to put another jacket on.

It is going to be conditional.

Car camping? go heavy
    Hiking? use your best judgement and to borrow an old motto Be Prepared.
    Sup?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    You're probably better off putting the fleece inside your sleeping bag as a liner.

That, and I pushed the limits on mine last weekend and used a couple of the hand warmer packs, one at the small of my back and one down at my feet.

I went to bed with a cold butt from sitting around the campfire too long, sure wished they made the hand warmers in larger sizes, coulda used one (or two) for butt warmers....

Stack another ccf pad, or fleece blanket, on top of the thermarest sol.

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    I started off with wool blankets as my "under" protection. Pushed it into the high 20's a few times and was fine. Was I toasty? No. Was I happy and having fun? Heck yeah! Are you car camping or hiking in?

Hammock
    DH T- BIRD WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    tadpole+doors JRB
    Insulation
    greyloc 3, WLogics
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    It all depends on what you wear, if you have a good layer system you will be OK..Layers are the secret to staying warm, heck I have a set of hunting cloths I could get to 20 degrees with and not use quilts but they weigh a ton!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I used a walmart pad and a fleece blanket at Florida Hang 2 at 25*. I was wearing longjohn bottoms and top and a sweater. 2 socks on my feet, small gloves and a cap.

I used my 50-60* walmart SB as a peapod with my jacket on the head end to close it off.

I was warm except my feet. Although they were cold, it wasn't bad enough to keep me awake. YMMV.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    You're probably better off putting the fleece inside your sleeping bag as a liner.

That, and I pushed the limits on mine last weekend and used a couple of the hand warmer packs, one at the small of my back and one down at my feet.

I went to bed with a cold butt from sitting around the campfire too long, sure wished they made the hand warmers in larger sizes, coulda used one (or two) for butt warmers....
    The larger ones are available...Heat Treat & Grabber Body Warmers are 2 trade names you can check out.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    Looking
    Tarp
    Looking
    Insulation
    Looking
    Suspension
    Looking
    Grab a space blanket. Don't even have to use it unless you get really cold. For a more long term solution I am actually looking at the columbia Omni-heat sleeping bag liner as a similar but more comfortable way to lower the rating. Or boil some water and put it in a nalgene bottle or 2 and sleep with that.

well I survived last weeks camping/hiking trip. Temps dipped into the low 30's and my gear was seriously tested. While I didn't freeze I was a little chilly and could tell my bag "Wiggy's 20 degree) was at it's limit. The next time I go out this winter a UQ is definitely going with me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast