Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Mt. Monadnock - Oct 12th

The scout troop I volunteer with spent this past weekend up in New Hampshire, what better opportunity for a first time climb up Monadnock?
    The forecast was supposed to be 60's, mostly sunny, with 10% chance of rain. After a quick breakfast we headed out from the Scout Camp right down the street. We came in via Birchtoft Trail before splitting up (some of the older boys wanted more of a challenge). We ascended Spellman Trail... Awesome fun, nice and steep with what I imagine would be some awesome views. Unfortunately the fog was taking over, ruining any views and turning the rocks slippery. Once up Spellman, it was a quick ridgewalk to the summit, where it was extremely windy & foggy. The combination absolutely soaked anything that wasn't covered/waterproofed, so we only hung out long enough for a quick snack before turning back. On our way down, the fog was so bad that the cairns were usually invisible, so it took our group of 3 adults & 3 kids a little bit to get down.

We later learned, after getting out of the elements, that the volunteer workers on the mountain (rangers? Not sure) were actually turning people away before the summit due to the conditions and basically shut the mountain down. The trip down was long and slow, the wet conditions causing a few bruised knees and tailbones among the group.

Overall, the hike was still a great time. I'm already trying to find time to go when the weather is more cooperative. I've been lucky to avoid bad weather, but I'd say this is the worst I'd want to encounter. The idea of getting lost on a mountain top with 3 boys was not all that appealing. The last picture attached was the walk down from the summit... Wish I could have tied a rope to the boys!

I'd highly recommend Spellman Trail to anyone looking for something other than a dirt path lol. It being my first time up, I can't offer much more insight (other than Pumpelly which was nice easy).

The main thing I noticed was how grossly unprepared some of the people up there were. Upon entering the park, we were given a lecture (which I found condescending at the time), but I now understand why. Jeans, a hoodie, and a pair of casual shoes was the norm for most of the people we saw. I can't imagine how cold & miserable they must have been.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.9/1.1 CAMO
    Tarp
    Superfly CAMO
    Insulation
    YETI CAMO
    Still looks fun despite the conditions. It pays to be prepared, that's for sure. Glad it all worked out good!

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!

Mt. Monadnock - Oct 12th

That mountain kicked my butt this summer. Definitely try it again when it's nice out. The views are incredible. We went up the white cross trail, the hardest and steepest. I'd like to try some of the others. It's a great mountain.

Unpreparedness: we saw girls in flip flops and others with no water or packs of any kind, on a hot sunny day. Scary. (boggle)
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Re: Mt. Monadnock - Oct 12th

Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    Unpreparedness: we saw girls in flip flops and others with no water or packs of any kind, on a hot sunny day. Scary. (boggle)
    Exactly. I understand some people might not have hiking - specific gear, but even on a good day, these people were unprepared (I overheard a guy in shorts & t-shirt saying he wished he brought a jacket lol). I guess being the "most hiked mounting in America" means a larger variety of experience.

I'm contemplating a day trip soon, while my in-laws are visiting (free daycare) & before I start a new job in November... I just know I'll hate the 2 hour drive home :P

Try out the Spellman Trail next time, see how it compares! The main reason we chose it was less crowds & because I had read it requires some scrambling

Hammock
    WBBB 1.9/1.1 CAMO
    Tarp
    Superfly CAMO
    Insulation
    YETI CAMO
    Wow, that is scary! I've never been near or around mountains, but I imagine the weather can change in an instant.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 10-16-2013 at 01:50. Reason: addition

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator, UGQ
    Sounds like a great trip despite the fog. I want to do that with our scouts this spring.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

I've done Mt Mousilauke in similar conditions, add a little time ice to everything on the summit. It looked like a scene out of a movie.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Macat
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Spellman is a challenge going down according to various parties. White Arrow near the top has it's moments. I like the Marlborough Trail which some have rated as a 4 on a 5 scale. No matter what trail you take, it a great day hike.

Late September, my brother-in-law and I went up the White Dot and down the Dublin. The foliage was absolutely beautiful. He was duly impressed of the views on top.

I don't get up there enough.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I, too, saw this kind of thing.

Thanks for the report
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

We went down via Pumpelly to Cascade Link to Birchtoft.. With the wet conditions, the boys were already falling down enough. We figured that route was the least steep, but it seemed to take forever.

One thing I mentioned to the Scoutmaster, for next time, was having two separate groups entirely.. Our faster group got cold/tired waiting for the slower group at trail intersections.

Since I missed the sights this trip, I've already got an Impromptu weekend trip planned whenever the forecast looks promising!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast