JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    mw3 uq & ss tq
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!!!

Greylock 4 Polar

At the spring MAHHA I won a Greylock 4 POLAR that was donated by JRB for the raffle.

Anybody have an idea on the temperature range of this underquilt? It is a special model with greater loft than the Greylock 4.

VATriker

Images
    Do you know- or have you measured- the loft?

The standar GL4 has 3.5" loft and rated zero to +5F( or is that zero to minus 5F? I think probably the later)

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    mw3 uq & ss tq
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Do you know- or have you measured- the loft?

The standar GL4 has 3.5" loft and rated zero to +5F( or is that zero to minus 5F? I think probably the later)
    I believe the package (not handy right now) states 5" of loft.

VATriker

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VATriker View Post
    I believe the package (not handy right now) states 5" of loft.

VATriker
    Well that's a whole bunch of loft! All I can say is that this is probably rated to well below zero.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    mw3 uq & ss tq
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!!!
    Yeah, my not get that many chances to use it. I am hoping the NOVA hang at the end of December gets cold enough to use it.

I also have a 3-season set of a JRB Mount Washington 3 underquilt and a JRB Sierra Sniveler top quilt. That set is supposed to get down to 20 degrees. If it goes low enough to use the Greylock 4 Polar, I might have to use both the SS TQ and the MW3 as top quilts. Boy, that would be a whole lot of quilts!

VATriker

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    Yeah, my not get that many chances to use it. I am hoping the NOVA hang at the end of December gets cold enough to use it.

I also have a 3-season set of a JRB Mount Washington 3 underquilt and a JRB Sierra Sniveler top quilt. That set is supposed to get down to 20 degrees. If it goes low enough to use the Greylock 4 Polar, I might have to use both the SS TQ and the MW3 as top quilts. Boy, that would be a whole lot of quilts!

VATriker
    Well, if you decide that you have too many, or won't have temps to merit that 5" loft of down, let me know! It was 24F this morning here in parts of western Ma. & we'll be seeing many colder nights before April rolls around!! I can guarantee it would be put to some serious, good use! Especially under the Weight Weenie hammock that I recently obtained........
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    mw3 uq & ss tq
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tri-pod bob View Post
    Well, if you decide that you have too many, or won't have temps to merit that 5" loft of down, let me know! It was 24F this morning here in parts of western Ma. & we'll be seeing many colder nights before April rolls around!! I can guarantee it would be put to some serious, good use! Especially under the Weight Weenie hammock that I recently obtained........
    Searched forum and it appears that the greylock 4 polar is 4.5 inches of loft. So I was a little off.

Anyway, I could be convinced to part with it if somebody wanted to make a swap with a Mt. Washington 4 or a Old Rag Mountain quilt. Pretty happy with what I have thou, because it rounds out my quits / gives me flexibility to hammock through the winter.

VATriker (Stu)

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    mw3 uq & ss tq
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!!!

VATriker
    Well, it got pretty darn cold at the NOVA hang. 21 degrees (F)! I layered the GL4 Polar with the Mt. Washington 3 and it was nice! Now my only question is how the heck does one properly suspend a Greylock UQ on a Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock (BMBH). It does not work the same way as the MW3.
    VATriker

Images
    Well, it got pretty darn cold at the NOVA hang. 21 degrees (F)! I layered the GL4 Polar with the Mt. Washington 3 and it was nice! Now my only question is how the heck does one properly suspend a Greylock UQ on a Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock (BMBH). It does not work the same way as the MW3.
    VATriker
    I just responded to that thread. I had suggested buying a JRB UQ suspension set or some shock cord from elsewhere, but now that I see you have an MW3, you can use the MW3 suspension on the Greylock if you don't want(or it won't work) to use the the loop suspension that came on the Greylock.

So you layered an MW3 with a GL4 Polar? Top or bottom? That is a lot of loft for 21F! But better too warm than too cold as you can always vent.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

. . . . has 3.5" loft and rated zero to +5F( or is that zero to minus 5F? I think probably the later)
    I also find this confusing when quilt shopping, is that a 0 hyphen 5 degrees. or a 0 minus 5 degrees?
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

• + New Posts