Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

Dutch tarp flys vs a prussic knot issue?

Hey guys viper here!

Alright well I ran I to an issue using my new tarp flys.

A run down of how I'm setting up is I set up one side of my tarp CRL but warping it around the tree then using a mini carabeaner to clip it to the CRL so that side it fixed not adjustable and on the other side of the CRL wraps around the other tree then I use the tarp fly to tighten up the CRL then obviously lock it off using the tarp fly. And on the CRL I have two different prussic knots one for he head end of the tarp and one for the foot end. I have one carabeaner in each end of the tarp and I just clip the tarp to the two prussic knots that are already set up on my CRL.

So if your following me still here comes my issue.

So when I try and tighten up the tarp buy sliding the two prussic knots apart that are attached to the tarp ends the end that has the tarp fly on the CRL obviously can't slide if the tarp fly is in the way if the prussic knots movement.
    So with this said I can't tension up my tarp because of the tarp fly is in the way of the prussic knot moving. So say I try and move the tarp fly closer to the tree then I can't tension it up very well. And I obviously can't move it closer to the center of the tarp because still in the way of the prussic.

And I have thought of well just put the prussic knot on the outside of the tarp fly but then the tarp fly would be underneath the tarp...

I don't know if this is making any since I'm trying my best to explain this, but if it is has anyone had this problem? And how can I fix this/improve?

Was out their for a while yesterday trying to find a way around this before my campout coming up (new to flys) been using stingers. Thanks for the help guys!
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    HH Exped / DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X10
    Insulation
    JRB Grey3/HR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Why not clip your fly onto the tarp fly clip?
    Making memories of the sights, sounds, textures and smells of nature to create A Sight to Remember...

A Sight to Remember's Facebook
    A Sight to Remember

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    The short answer is your trees are too close together for your tarp. I began hanging with a setup just like yours. For my 12' tarp I needed at least 15' between trees to overcome the issue you described. 16' was better.

Because I got tired of the prussic slipping during the night (even with extra wraps) I changed to what I consider a better method. Fire in My Bones first showed it to me. It uses the same line and hardware you already have, just a different way of using it. It eliminates prussics altogether, and can be used with trees closer together than the method you described.

The CRL runs thru the d-ring on each end of the tarp. One end goes around the tree and clips back to the d-ring on that end of the tarp. The other end goes around the other tree and secures to a tarp flyz attached to the tarp d-ring. The tarp can be centered between trees from one end, and the pitch stays more taut thru the night.

If anyone knows of a video showing this, put the link in please.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    If it's that tight, the trees are too close but without pics, it's hard to offer advice other than the obvious. For me anyway...
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    The short answer is your trees are too close together for your tarp. I began hanging with a setup just like yours. For my 12' tarp I needed at least 15' between trees to overcome the issue you described. 16' was better.

Because I got tired of the prussic slipping during the night (even with extra wraps) I changed to what I consider a better method. Fire in My Bones first showed it to me. It uses the same line and hardware you already have, just a different way of using it. It eliminates prussics altogether, and can be used with trees closer together than the method you described.

The CRL runs thru the d-ring on each end of the tarp. One end goes around the tree and clips back to the d-ring on that end of the tarp. The other end goes around the other tree and secures to a tarp flyz attached to the tarp d-ring. The tarp can be centered between trees from one end, and the pitch stays more taut thru the night.

I need to try this method, it sounds like a great setup.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post

Don't know of any vids but I can visualize it just fine. I'll give it a go this weekend.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    I like it enough to have converted my other tarp. It makes a nice V at each end so the hammock suspension doesn't rub against the tarp's CRL.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Here is another way of doing it...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    I'm a big fan of the CRL and this will work nicely. 1-Hung-Low, thanks for the pic. Currently I use a Figure-9 carabiner but I plan to switch to tarp flyz when I get my gift certificate to Dutchware for Christmas. This will work with any attachment device, even a taut line hitch. Nice!!

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Beat me to it 1 Hung Low.

I made some small loops with dyneema fishing line to attach directly to a loop at the ends of my tarp, bypassing the d-ring and eliminating the keyring. I've seen the keyrings leave rust stains on tents in the past.

Derek shows it here: The details are between 4:55 and 7:00.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast