Images

BMBH UL: A Possible New Favorite? Maybe, and can this quilt fit be beat?

Not sure where to put this, mods move if needed. Because it is mainly about the JRB BMBH UL, but is also equally about how a quilt fits on this hammock.

So I have had this BMBH UL for a while but have rarely used it. Same can be said for my WBRR. At first I was not sure I liked this BMBH UL overall as well as I did my original BMBH, but it has been growing on me so to speak. The shoulder room and comfort is as much as I need, and I can do quite well on my side. But it is still not as shallow as the WBRR. Some will call that a negative, but I am still able to lay back into the side, which supports me, which I really like, just like with the original- and deeper- BMBH. I have not really been able to test the WBRR as much as I would like, because it is very difficult to use it on my Vario stand, it is just too long for that. So any testing I do of that hammock is strictly in the woods. But the BMBH's suspension length is much shorter and works nearly as well from my stand as from the trees.

But I am finding the BMBH UL very comfortable, nearly as comfy overall as the original and with improved shoulder room. Not near as much shoulder room as the WBRR but still plenty for my 6'1", 206 lb self. Heck, I am even OK in the shoulders with the original. I don't need a pillow near as much as I do with the original BMBH. The UL is lighter than the original and significantly shorter total length than the WBRR. Not so much in the hammock body, but shorter in the suspension. So I really need to give this hammock more time in the woods.

Just like with the original BMBH, quilt fit can be fantastic( probably the case with all bridge hammocks), much better and simple to set up than with any of my non-bridge hammocks. I got a few pics to demonstrate, threw a weighted pack in to simulate an occupied hammock. Then got in and tried to take a couple of selfies.

Apparently I forgot or erased some shots from the head end, but fit is just as good as the foot end. Notice here the excellent fit to the hammock of this MW3 convertible torso section at the leg end:

Also, notice the excellent fit between the hammock and the quilt at the side:

Here is the side view occupied. You can't tell, but even though the quilt is quite snug against my back, there is still plenty of loft under me:

Notice the foot end's(about knee level) fit to the hammock, how tight and without any creases or gaps. It is really snug, but notice the loft hanging below the nicely sealed edge. No creases, no gaps, no accordion effect, etc. You can't tell from the pic, but the draw cords are pretty much wide open. Probably because of my criss cross suspension technique, something I 1st discovered with my WBRR. It works fine without this approach, but I think I am more likely to have to cinch up the end channels.

Except maybe being equaled by other bridge hammocks, or almost by an HHSS or Pea Pod, can you get a better UQ fit than this? For the most part, can we even get one this good and simple to achieve each and every time? And since the UQ comes up several inches above the hammock's top edge, when I lean back into that edge which supports my back, I have plenty of insulation. That's one thing that keeps me from switching to pads in my original BMBH, the pads won't cover the sides near as well.

Lastly: I have always been hesitant to give of the pad pocket on my original BMBH , the best hammock by far I have ever used with a pad, for the no pad pocket UL. But I finally tried a full length WM blue pad just laid inside the hammock. Really not bad. I could definitely deal with that in an emergency. But if I was actually planning to use a pad every night, I would still go with the original's pad pocket.

I am going to try and use this BMBH UL more than I have been doing. It has a lot going for it.

Images
    I know the quilt designed for the WBRR is a custom fit and a perfect fit also, though I have not been able to see one yet.

For you guys using the WBRR and it's quilt, can you lay back into the side of the WBRR as I am fond of doing with both JRB BMBHs? And if you do, does the quilt help keep your back warm? IOW, does it come up high enough on the sides to make up for where you TQ might be getting compressed?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I know the quilt designed for the WBRR is a custom fit and a perfect fit also, though I have not been able to see one yet.

For you guys using the WBRR and it's quilt, can you lay back into the side of the WBRR as I am fond of doing with both JRB BMBHs? And if you do, does the quilt help keep your back warm? IOW, does it come up high enough on the sides to make up for where you TQ might be getting compressed?
    Hi BillyBob - I use a RR and the full-length Lynx underquilt. The uq provides coverage to the edges. I also prefer to scoot to the side a little and lean up on the sides. The RR + Lynx combo is indeed warm when used this way.
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderman View Post
    Hi BillyBob - I use a RR and the full-length Lynx underquilt. The uq provides coverage to the edges. I also prefer to scoot to the side a little and lean up on the sides. The RR + Lynx combo is indeed warm when used this way.
    Yep, I think it is pretty much just any bridge hammock is easy to insulate. This MW3 worked every bit as good on a Grizz Bridge I had as a loaner.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderman View Post
    +1 and if you take the 4" spacer of the head spreader bar out,,sides do come up a dash more and quilt covers sides when laying on your side covering your backside moreso. And helps keep top quilt in alittle bit better too. Still get the flat lay and excellent view out the RR with the 4" spreader bar piece out of the head spreader bar.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yep, I think it is pretty much just any bridge hammock is easy to insulate. This MW3 worked every bit as good on a Grizz Bridge I had as a loaner.
    I forgot to say that it(JRB MW3 short) also seemed to work great on my WBRR also, pretty much exactly as it does with the JRB BMBH UL.

Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    +1 and if you take the 4" spacer of the head spreader bar out,,sides do come up a dash more and quilt covers sides when laying on your side covering your backside moreso. And helps keep top quilt in alittle bit better too. Still get the flat lay and excellent view out the RR with the 4" spreader bar piece out of the head spreader bar.
    I have never yet been able to appreciate the benefits of my WBRR , I just have not been able to spend enough time in it because it is so darn long that I can not use it on my Vario stand. And I just have not been able to come up with enough time in the trees to give it a thorough testing. Last time I had it in the trees, even with the shorter bar option, it just seemed unstable compared even to my JRBs. It felt like I could roll out of it during the night, even without propping my back against the sides like I routinely do with my JRB. I know it is just a matter of getting used to it, or maybe I had it hung too tight? I'll get it optimized someday I guess!

But right now, I have not been able to justify fully switching over to it. Sure it has more shoulder room, with or without the extra 4" bar, but I have all the shoulder room I need in the UL. And either of the JRBs feel more stable( though maybe that is user error), and there is no doubt the WB is several feet longer in the suspension, and that can be a hassle even in the woods, and a deal breaker with my stand ( I know, I know, make a TurtleDog stand, but I just have not been able to get around to it, too lazy I guess). The JRBs bars are not as wide(less tarp contact) And the JRB UL is even a few oz lighter.

I took the WBRR to the woods today, to practice some more, but it was cold and I forgot an UQ! But I had a HH with HHSS with me so hung in that instead. OK on my back and for leg comfort( when I find the sweet spot) and unsurpassed right side fetal comfort. But maybe I'll get the WBRR all figured out someday so that it actually surpasses the JRBs, even though I don't really need the extra shoulder room. ( It is going to for sure have to be a noticeable improvement for me to put up with all that extra length and wider bars! )

I too like to side sleep and the BMBH definitely gives you more of a side wall to support your backside. I found I was only really comfortable while sleeping on my back in a RR and I had problems making it through the night like that.

Like you, I found the length needed between trees problematic with the RR. In the end I just decided that there were too many nuances associated with bridge hammocks. .spreader bars, larger wider tarps, weight- and went back to gathered end. I find they support me fairly well in a semi side sleeping position.

Who knows, I may try out another bridge at some point, the testing and experimenting is half the fun for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    I too like to side sleep and the BMBH definitely gives you more of a side wall to support your backside. I found I was only really comfortable while sleeping on my back in a RR and I had problems making it through the night like that.

Like you, I found the length needed between trees problematic with the RR. In the end I just decided that there were too many nuances associated with bridge hammocks. .spreader bars, larger wider tarps, weight- and went back to gathered end. I find they support me fairly well in a semi side sleeping position.

Who knows, I may try out another bridge at some point, the testing and experimenting is half the fun for me.
    OK, CFI, and thanks for that info! And it shows I am not the only one who sees that extra support on the side as a BMBH plus.

And all of those bridge problems you mention are a bit more so with the WB than the JRBs. Actually, I did not start this thinking in terms of a BMBH vs WBRR thread. But, I guess that comparison will have to be made, especially considering I have both, plus the title of my thread "possible new favorite". The word possible is the key, it's just that I was not that crazy about the UL version at first, but it really seems to be growing on me. Plus, again, I need much more experience with the WBRR before I declare a favorite.

I also can really relate to what you said about going back to non-bridge. I really like a lot of things about a bridge design. I think I am really prone to calf pressure, worse than most folks, and nothing I have tried cures that like a bridge, NOTHING! And probably nothing quite matches them for lack of knee extension and ease of insulating with an UQ. So that is a lot of important pros.

Still, when I headed to the woods yesterday planning to play some more with the WBRR, but forgot the quilt, and it was cold so I just hung my HHSS, I found myself once again thinking about why I bother with all of this. (other than it is just fun to play) I am laying there in what I started with 7 years ago, on my right side(fetal) and as comfortable as it is possible for me to be. I tend to sleep on my side a lot anyway. Trees don't have to be 15 feet apart, no spreader bars hitting tarps, lighter weight(no 8-10 oz bars), and very warm in the Super Shelter. So why do I even bother?

I'm not sure why. Probably 90% of it is avoiding the dreaded calf pressure, and or knee extension. For example in this HH Explorer UL: I am quite comfy on my back also, but it can have calf pressure and very slight knee extension, although I can usually find a way to get around these, mainly by finding the exact spot. For me, usually with less diagonal in this hammock. However, with one of my other favs, the Claytor No Net, there is even less problem with these, approaching zero. But if I usually end up on my side in fetal anyway, why even worry about that? That is what I kept thinking as I lay there uber comfy in the HHSS yesterday!

I guess another thing is the way superior and no hassle fit of any UQ. Has anyone ever seen a thread here about someone being cold in an UQ used on a bridge hammock? I really don't think there has ever been a single one. But how many such threads do you see for UQs used with non-bridge hammocks? Exactly! A whole bunch. But I could say the same thing about PeaPods, especially used on a narrow hammock like a Claytor. That is a thread I have also never seen" "cant get warm in my PeaPod". And, at least for me, the HHSS has always worked good, just attach it as directed nothing to adjust.

Still, as you can see by the pics in this thread, I remain impressed at the excellent fit and warmth of my JRB UQs on any of my bridge hammocks. So I will keep calling ease of quilt set up and almost guaranteed warmth a major plus, at least compared to many UQs on most non-bridge hammocks.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-26-2013 at 10:08.

• + New Posts