Hammock
    Clark North American
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling

Buying an UQ for my Clarke North American... HELP!

Hey Folks,

After some browsing on here I've finally decided to just make a thread and specify my needs so that folks can weigh in - it's hard to get those specific questions answered!

I have been hammocking only since early June when my fabulous folks bought me a Clarke North American for my B-Day. I asked for one based on the suggestion of a buddy, but have since fallen in love with this hobby (thanks HF.net) and am compelled to spend more and more of my precious time in the great outdoors. I've upgraded to some whoopie slings, finally figured out a couple of knots and am messing around with a ridge-line. Oh, the joys!

It's time for an underquilt. I can't believe I'm going to spend THAT much money on this thing, which is exactly why I'm here. If I'd been on the forums before my birthday I'd probably be hanging in a much less expensive hammock and have my UQ already!

I am thinking I want to start with a "worst-case scenario" UQ, one that gets deep into the cold temperatures and covers the whole body; I figure it's better to prepare for the worst than to be underprepared. Plus I'm going to hang with a bunch of lunatics in the middle of winter (NEHHA) and I don't want to have to borrow TOO much of their gear!

Any suggestions? I've been browsing and will have to wait a couple of weeks before I make any moves financially, so any input is good as the great UQ search begins!

Thanks Clarke Fans

Cosmic Camper

Hammock
    Too many
    Tarp
    Too many
    Insulation
    Too many
    Suspension
    Too many
    Images
    Hello there CC... I know exactly how you feel. The list keeps getting longer and longer.. :-)

But the truth is quality gear most of the time isn't cheap, and if you're willing to spend the extra bucks, it may save you cash in the long term as it lasts a long time and won't fail you when you need it the most.

If you're looking for an under quilt, I can vouch for Paul and Missy from Undergroundquilts.com
    I've deal with a few vendors on here and can say that Paul is probably the most patient guy Ive ever come across. His workmanship is superb and he is also very knowledgable.

I have some quilts from Paul and Missy now, and will be looking at probably getting one more soon.
    They also have some new 700 fill Duck Down as opposed to their 850 fill Goose Down which is a bit more affordable.. if that is what you're looking for. All their down is also treated; making it DWR:- Water resistant (Down's enemy).

I have 2 quilts in their new fabric, a 15 Denier 0.9oz/yd2 material which has also been certified by International Down & Feather Labs in Salt Lake City for its Down-proofing.. and I can tell you that I have seen no down seep through this fabric unlike on my other quilt which constantly seeps feathers... :-(

I think their quilts are good value for money, hence the recommendation. But you should also do your own research of course, as there are a lot of good vendors on here. Also check out UGQ on Facebook for some more pics.

All the best in your search and in your days and nights hanging..
    From the trees we came, to the trees we shall return

I too can recommend UnderGroundQuilts, I use a full length 20* on my Clark Nx250 and am very pleased with it, great product.

Hammock
    NX250, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Zliner, AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by russwestwood View Post
    Hello there CC... I know exactly how you feel. The list keeps getting longer and longer.. :-)

But the truth is quality gear most of the time isn't cheap, and if you're willing to spend the extra bucks, it may save you cash in the long term as it lasts a long time and won't fail you when you need it the most.
    Very true words. I have a Holubar bag purchased in 70's that has been all over the world and is still in fantastic shape and in use today. By the best you can afford.
    FYIW I am looking at UQ's for my nx250 and am leaning towards UGQ 20* Zep.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    It's all here at HF, just not in this (Clark) forum. Your NA doesn't require anything different from what users of other hammocks have.

Want to go cheap? Find an all-polyester indoor quilt, stitch up a section of the size you want from it, and attach channels and cords. IKEA sells one big enough for a double bed for $20;and it can be cut in half to make 2 UQs. Or a warmer single.

ADDITION: It is as the very bottom of the price / quality line that IKEA (and likely others) use no cotton in their indoor quilts / comforters. This is suggestion is not meant to be for long-term use. It is for trial and proof of concept. Also, much, much, lighter -- like serious goods -- than than the PUQ you can find extensively described in other forums here, but without durability.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 10-22-2013 at 12:32. Reason: addition

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling
    Ah - thanks folks!

I'll be checking out underground quilts first!

Thinking I might go the more expensive route... I think it's worth it in the end!

Will keep this updated as I learn more - and please keep suggestions coming!

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Images
    I use the Winter Incubator ,78" x 44" from HAMMOCK GEAR under quilt for both my Clark NA and the Hennessy Expedition A-Sym hammock and have no problems keeping it in place. All quality gear.
    "Back when I was young, skinny and immortal. I since discovered that old men don't bounce." Hawk-eye "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Don't Overlook HammockGear.Com

Cosmic,

As you look for UQ's, be sure to do some comparisons, especially if you're going to go the more $$$ route. underGroundQuilts is, by reputation very excellent. In my personal subjective opinion, you'd be selling yourself short if you didn't at least give some consideration to HammockGear.Com as another contender. In particular their 0 degree Incubator. Also, chech out some of the videos on Youtube that rave about their quality.

Just an observation.

Welcome to a good addiction.

Gil- Chicopee, Ma
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling
    The incubator looks pretty darn awesome... It's so hard to choose! I want to buy before NEHHA winter hang which is, unfortunately, the place where I could really see some UQs in action. Off to YouTube I guess

• + New Posts