Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3/4 or Full with neuropathic feet?

I'm diabetic and have pretty bad neuropathy in my feet, so they tend to get cold VERY easily due. For instance, it's currently 68 degrees in my house, I have on a pair of wool socks on a (tile floor)and my feet are cold enough that I'd have trouble sleeping. Not freezing, but pretty uncomfortably cold.
    That said, I need an underquilt for my Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Warbonnet Yeti, and the Hammock Gear Incubator. I'm old and fat, 6'3", 290 pounds, and I'd like to trim as much weight as possible, but not at the expense of freezing feet. The Yeti is also a good bit cheaper, too.
    Anyone have experience with poor circulation in your lower extremities and 3/4 length hammocks? Should I just bite the bullet and grab the Incubator? I'm also open to suggestions for other hammocks, but the Incubator seems to have the best warmth to weight ratio.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I am a cold sleeper and love a full length UQ. I also use down booties. they are heaven.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    HHED ZIP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    NewRiver,Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    May I suggest that you check out Arrowhead Equipment . I just ordered a pair of Flame Thrower boots. Warm feet are one of my priorities too. I have a Jarbidge and a New River quilt, so I feel Paul has great products !
    Good luck !

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Full definitely full. I have several close diabetic freinds in the same boat. The better you care for your body now the longer you enjoy it. If I were you I would sacrifice a little weight to take care of your diabetes. One is a type 1 for over 20 years. Their extra diligence has paid dividends. I expect they will out live me because of the extra effort to stay on top of it. so far no major complications as they do the things to keep it. in control and make it easier for the body to maintain good circulation by keeping it warm. That's my .02 cents!
    + 1 on the booties.
    Mind over matter,
    if you don't mind, it don't matter

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images

Re: 3/4 or Full with neuropathic feet?

Not a diabetic but my feet are always cold and a full length UQ with some down booties will surly keep them warm. Ive used both fractional length UQ and full lengths UQ in winter and IMHO their is a noticeable difference in how warm my feet are when using a full length. And Nothing beats wraping your feet in down
    Last edited by lazy river road; 10-26-2013 at 05:11.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I have a 3/4 UQ and my feet get cold. I will be changing to a full. So to keep feet warm I would go with full .
    TDHanger

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Not a diabetic but my feet are always cold and a full length UQ with some down booties will surly keep them warm. Ive used both fractional length UQ and full lengths UQ in winter and IMHO their is a noticeable difference in how warm my feet are when using a full length. And Nothing beats wraping your feet in down
    Well it is hard to argue with that experience!

Quote Originally Posted by TDHanger View Post
    I have a 3/4 UQ and my feet get cold. I will be changing to a full. So to keep feet warm I would go with full .
    When you switch, please let us know how that worked for you.

JBR, while you are figuring this out, or while you waiting on your full length quilt to arrive, experiment with this:

Get the sacks from 2 loaves of bread. If you have a really thin, non-cotton liner sock, put that on and put the bread sack over it. (If not, then just put the bread sack over bare skin for experimenting, but it probably won't be as comfy) Then put on the roomiest pair of thick wool socks over the bread sack ( NO tight socks, not even slightly snug). Sit around the house like that for a while and see if it makes any difference. May or may not help you, but I have known of people, when fishing in the cold, who went from "my feet are freezing" to "hey, my feet are warm now" by doing nothing more than adding a VB sock to their boots. So you never know, and it is free and safe to experiment with.

If you decide this is helpful, you might not want to wear a VB all of the time. It is probably safer to give your feet some time to breath and dry out during a lot of the day.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Last night I hung in my backyard...got down to 31 deg. and I'm a very cold sleeper too. My feet froze and I finally had to come in at 0500. I forgot two of the most important winter lessons I've learned here.

I didn't.....

1. take a hot water bottle into the hammock with me, see this thread
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...highlight=pads

2. didn't take 1 or 2 chemical hot pads with me under the TQ

No matter the quality of insulation, I just don't produce enough heat to stay warm without an external heat source.
    Last edited by outdoorsguy; 10-26-2013 at 09:44.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I get cold feet too. Actually, that's the first and many times only thing that gets cold. My full length Incubator definitely helps. When I get in the hammock, I immediately feel heat over my whole body, everywhere the UQ is touching my body.

And like Dutch said, down booties are great. Unfortunately mine are a bit bulky, so I skip taking them most trips. But I really need to find room for them or get a better pair.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I have Titanium in both feet and knees...cold is not as much fun as it used to be. I say Incubator wide with a couple extra oz of down and sewn foot box. Maybe even a 0 degree with a couple extra oz of down. Sleeping comfort and tasty eats are the two areas I don't scrimp on. Other things can be sacrificed to allow camp comfort...like the 800+ ounces I carry around my torso.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast