Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostinthewuds View Post
    You had me at bridge hammock! Man o man I can hear my wife rolling her eyes from here.

Sounds like I need to grab the hammock out and try some different elevations etc and see if I can't get this straightened out. Seems like a pillow or stuff sack would be the easiest solution, but I can't stand the thought of fighting that in the hammock.

lost
    Really not so bad. Provides a big dose of insulation under your knees, and some love to place it between their knees when they turn to their sides. The biggest down side for me is coming up with enough unused stuff to put in the stuff sack. A lot of times, between stuff sacks as pillows and layering in a PeaPod or putting extra clothes down below in a HH Super Shelter, I might not have enough left over for knee padding. But whether in a hammoc of any kind, in a bed, on an OR table, or in a recliner, having your knees slightly flexed can be a comfort booster.

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    I go with a rolled up jacket under my knees in my gathered ends, or just sleep in my Ridgerunner bridge

Cheers

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Hey lost if you end up trying what I suggested let me know what your results are. I have brought this up before, but I am not sure if anyone else has tried it or not. I think shug was the one who put the spark in my head about rewhipping the ends and I just took it on my own from there.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I throw any extra clothing in a stuff sack and put under knees. I've even put my shoes in a stuff sack in winter when I didn't have extra clothes and wanted to keep my boots from freezing. It worked and wasn't as uncomfortable as it sounds.

It you have that calf ridge that so many talk about, try re-whipping.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    The switch from a 10.5' Hennessy Explorer Ultralight to an 11' DIY gathered end eliminated the majority of the calf/heel pressure and nearly all of the knee hyperextension issues I was having. The ability to lie just a little bit flatter helped that much. And all for ~0.6 extra ounces of fabric (assuming that I'd stayed with the same 1.9 oz/sq yd fabric; I didn't, so it's more complicated than I want to get into here).

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY dbl layer Gathered end
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; RB
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Hey lost if you end up trying what I suggested let me know what your results are. I have brought this up before, but I am not sure if anyone else has tried it or not. I think shug was the one who put the spark in my head about rewhipping the ends and I just took it on my own from there.
    I was looking at this. The logic is sound, but there is a fly in the ointment. I didn't use that method to whip the ends of my hammock. I don't know where I found the directions for the way mine is put together but I know its not like that.

I took the hammock material and passed it through the loop of my webbing and somehow it locked in really nicely and as of yet I have not ended up on my head! I'll take a close up of the ends if anyone would like to see it. So removing the whipping line and re-establishing the ends is not really a viable fix. If I can't get something figured out with hanging my feet end higher then I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board.

I'll keep you posted.

lost
    "The question that oft' makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12