Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* + 2oz, Full
    Suspension
    DIY UCR, 1" Straps

Silnylon + sewing machine feed dogs tip?

Anyone have any tips on sewing silnylon to make the stitch size somewhat consistent? My sewing machine looks like it was sewing while drunk. Stitches range from TINY (1 or 2 threads of fabric) to 9 stitches/inch (where I have it set to). I am worried with the tiny stitches that it will weaken the fabric.

Sounds like it isn't feeding right. Are you putting tension behind the presser foot or letting the feed dogs pull it through?

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images

Silnylon + sewing machine feed dogs tip?

Sil is notoriously difficult to sew if you haven't worked with it much. The way I do it is to pull the fabric from both in front of and in back of the feed dogs so that the fabric is somewhat taunt. If you put to much resistance on the sil, in the manner that you do with most fabrics so that the dogs do the work and pull the material through, then the dogs will slip on the sil and you will have inconsistent stitch length. I don't really pull the fabric through the machine, but it almost feels like I do. I try and feel how fast the dogs are trying to pull the fabric and move both of my hands together at that speed, keeping the sil taunt. If you get the feel down and match the correct speed, your stitches will be nice and even.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    If your having a massive problem, use tissue paper to add some traction. It doesn't hurt anything, and just tears off after the seam is complete.

It also does really well in between layers of sil if your having problems with slippage

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    If your having a massive problem, use tissue paper to add some traction. It doesn't hurt anything, and just tears off after the seam is complete.

It also does really well in between layers of sil if your having problems with slippage
    Now that is good advice. Glad I saw this thread...no pun intended.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    ...The way I do it is to pull the fabric from both in front of and in back of the feed dogs so that the fabric is somewhat taunt....
    Excellent advice.

You may also need to adjust the tension on the presser foot. Make sure the presser foot is clean and smooth without wear from running the machine without fabric between the feed dogs and foot.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    +1 on raiffnukes method - that's the exact thing I do and have little problems with sil. Also a roller foot helps spread the sil out and feed better - at least on my machine. Also check to make sure your feed dogs aren't worn down.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    Anyone have any tips on sewing silnylon to make the stitch size somewhat consistent? My sewing machine looks like it was sewing while drunk. Stitches range from TINY (1 or 2 threads of fabric) to 9 stitches/inch (where I have it set to). I am worried with the tiny stitches that it will weaken the fabric.
    I had that problem just the other day. Turns out that I tried putting a new needle in without using my 'sewing glasses'...sigh! Had the needle in wrong!

Check both the upper and lower threading to make sure that it's absolutely right, then check for needle condition.

You can also try sewing with a couple of strips of cotton to see if it really is the material. If it behaves differently with two different types of fabric then it's fairly safe to assume it's a fabric problem.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* + 2oz, Full
    Suspension
    DIY UCR, 1" Straps
    I try to keep tension on the front and back of the foot. But normally not enough hands, especially with sil, since it wants to slip out of whatever way I am trying to fold it.

My machine is from the late 60's, doubt it has ever had the dogs changed out.

Ill definitely try the tissue paper route.

I am also having issues with the bobbin freezing up/knotting below. I have tried to adjust the tension, but that doesn't seem to change it. I am guessing the bobbins might not be wound at an even enough pressure. I followed the directions, but the thread kept slipping off the disk tensioner, even going slowly. Any tips on that?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    I...I am guessing the bobbins might not be wound at an even enough pressure. I followed the directions, but the thread kept slipping off the disk tensioner, even going slowly. Any tips on that?
    What sewing machine do you have?

When I have problems bobbin winding, I just hold the thread, as it comes off the spool, between my thumb and finger to apply slight tension to keep it all running smoothly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast