Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    One thing you need to be aware of when setting the eye hook into a window frame or door edge is that there are usually two studs set side by side.

Trimmers & Jack Studs

It is possible to set the screw in the middle of those and not get the anchoring you're looking for as they can pull out much more easily.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Doublenest/RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    Web+Whoopie Sling
    I think your concerns are valid. There was a thread recently that addressed some of these issues here.

As noted, one 2x4 stud is probably not to be trusted for the lateral forces a hammock can apply. Also, eye screws tend to be rather large in diameter, and can crack or split the wood even if you find dead center. Pilot holes mostly correct this if sized correctly, but they reduce the avility of the screw to resist horizontal forces (pulling out of the wall) Using tips from the thread above and others on this site, I was able to address these issues:

1. Find an attachment point with multiple studs or other reinforcing structures. As noted, corners, walls and windows have 2 or more studs tied together. Windows and doors on load bearing walls also have strong headers tied to the studs, and external walls near corners and doors/windows often have plywood sheathing attached also. All add strength and spread the load.

2. I chose to use structural screws instead of eye screws. They are smaller in diameter but hold much more load in both directions (horizontal and vertical) when installed correctly. Another solution is to use an eye bolt that goes completely through the wall and stud with a board on the other side to spread the load. Useful where the back of your wall is inside a closet or garage.

3. Finally, get your smallest drill bit and drill several holds to precisely locate your stud so you can mount in the center. These small holes can be covered with just a dab of touchup paint. Finally, if using two or more screws to mount your hardware, you will probably want to mount about 1/8" off perfectly straight vertical to lessen the chances both screws will find the same grain and split the wood inside your wall.

I'm a big boy (260 lbs) and using these guides have a very solid installation. I've used a laser to measure for any deflection of the wall into the room and there is absolutely none.

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    How did you use the structural screws with no eye? What did you hang the hammock from?

Images
    hanging from a single 2x4 stud is just fine. I do it all of the time....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Doublenest/RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    Web+Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by toddhunter View Post
    How did you use the structural screws with no eye? What did you hang the hammock from?
    I used the screws to mount an anchor (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Keeper-Li...7#.UnA0uFAsl8E)

Hammock
    DL with Bug Net
    Tarp
    Guid Gear Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Down UQ, SB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

How do you support a hammock in the house?

I have thought about this as well and had concerns on using the 2x4 studs in the walls as well, or curious as how high to put the anchor points as well, I live I a single story ranch style house, that being said is there certain walls you should stay away from, not sure if this matters not not but I'm pretty sure it was a prefab built home

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    How do you support a hammock in the house?............Well, I'm fairly new to this hammock hanging thing, but, after reading about how the addiction affects many here & then contracting the addiction myself, I can say this......I raised 3 bio kids & 3 step-kids.......this is just as, if not more, d**ned expensive......eventually!!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Bob, just say no.

With my lovely house, the drywall is screwed at the corners and sides of the dry wall, the center supports were glued. Hence, studfinders no long register the seperated dry wall. However, the framing is solid, I've checked this when redoing holes in the wall and such things. An alternate method to finding the studs, and I cheated using the window frame to find the edge of one, is to take a 1/16th drill bit with a good 1.5 inch of bit exposed and sink pilot holes every half inch moving away from the window. You may hit the space between the trim and master stud, but at about 3 inches from the window you'll find the bit will go through the drywall and then proceed into air with no pressure. Wood resists being drilled and will bring back wood scrap on the bit.

Using these test holes, mark the center hole and drill it for your hammock eyebolt. Quick touch of spackling and a dab of paint and nobody is the wiser.

Seriously, I've bought chepo and expensive stud finders. The chepo ones blew up when I picked them up (uh-hem) and the expensive ones couldn't find the studs that the drill bit did. The people that threw my drywall up in 73 were so very very stoned!

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    I try my best, Mr. C!! But, it's just too powerful sometimes....kinda like putting up drywall in 73!!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I used the ENO wall kit from REI it comes with everything you need to mount to the stud.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast