Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    UKMCPRO 3x3 DPM
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing straps

Exclamation Franken-Hammock,

Im trying to reduce kit size and weight and also on a massive kit whoring session and my brain has been spinning with a new idea.

Firstly i always use my snugpak underquilt even in summer as at night i get a bit cold.
    I want to lighten my load and pack my kit away smaller.
    I want it to be modular.
    I have also been playing with the idea of a peapod/cocoon, using an old sleeping bag round my hammock and i must say i have been too hot most night so far. (will be great in winter)

So my idea is to.............

Make a hammock with the down underquilt as part of it......
    basically fill the gap between the layers for the mat with down and baffles, then add dual zips along each edge for zipping on a Midge net in summer and a down top quilt (peapod style) for winter.

I want to use a waterproof lower layer to protect the down from getting wet and allowing the use of it as a ground mat if i ever need to go to ground, or no trees, or suspension breaks etc.
    Also bring the waterproof layer up over each end like the TW Hammock do to protect from rain blown in the tarp ends.
    The midge net will be black so its easy to see through and able to be zippered on and cinched round each end for protection
    (like the new DD modular jungle hammock)
    And i will make a top part to zip on for winter that will be down and have a mesh area over the face for ventilation and condensation control.

First problem i see is stitching the baffles to the hammock and then getting in will stretch and break the stitches
    So i need to make a sleeping layer a few inches smaller than the quilt layer to keep me from pulling on the stitches.
    Or maybe i could stitch and glue the baffles inside and also add a reinforcing tape and they should hold???
    Or maybe a elastic type of thread for the stitches??

Second problem is i will need less down in the ends when i make it (laying open and flat) so when its cinched at the up im not wasting down and adding unneeded weight.

Third problem is i have a lot of questions........

Question i need help with please.
    1. What is the lightest waterproof material i can use for the outer layer that will be able able to withstand the use?
    Im hoping 2oz will be enough but im new to this so dont know what 2oz looks/feels like, nothing to compare it to.

2. Where can i buy the down from, dont realy want to buy pillows etc to find they have feathers mixed in etc?

3. Can anyone point me towards a good supplier for materials in the UK (pointnorth is one i know also Pennine outdoor)

4. Is there any special thread to use for weight bearing parts?

5. what can i use to re waterproof the outer layer ones the stitching has made holes all through it?
    Or is there a material glue i could use thats strong enough to hold the baffles in place?

6. How much down is needed for a 3 season fill???

7. What material to use for the hammock piece?

8. Is there anyone that wants to shoot me now and just end this misery before it begins..........

I look forward to the responses.............i think........!!!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would not use a waterproof outer layer. if you do this, moisture from your body during the night will not be able to escape and you and your down will most likely end up wet and cold. I'm not sure about attaching the UQ permanently, but I think it has been done before. I'm not sure about the other question about suppliers, I live in the US. Good luck though, I would love to see pics when it is done.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    I would not use a waterproof outer layer. if you do this, moisture from your body during the night will not be able to escape and you and your down will most likely end up wet and cold....
    ^^^This.

Integrated underquilts have been done. For an UQ, the outer layer has to be cut large enough (differential cut) that when it's wrapped around a cylinder (you/hammock) the insulation is not compressed. This is compounded with an integrated UQ because the inside layer/hammock body stretches.

Start by searching HF for threads on integrated UQs. You can start here.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Maybe WV can help you out. He is really good at customizing hammock/insulation set ups on his rigs. He combines hammock and insulation into a nice package and has the insulation exactly where he needs it for how he lies in his hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    UKMCPRO 3x3 DPM
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    I have been searching this forum for a couple of days and learning all i an about how others have done it and where they have failed etc
    I have changed my original plan a little in that i will have a double layer between me and the down, one i sleep on and the next one that the baffles are sewn onto.
    The one with the baffles sewn on will be cut a few inches bigger so when they are combined give the top layer enough room to stretch before i touch the down layer.
    That solves the stitching stretching and the down compression problems, but does add an extra layer of fabric and more weight, so im going to go light as poss and use something that will allow the down to breath and also be as light as possible.
    Some people will still ask "why bother, keep the UQ separate" but i will still save weight of the UQ suspension and also the bother of setting it up every time. (annoys me having to re-do the suspension every time i put my hammock up, annoys me even more when i wake up at 4am freezing cold when i have moved and dislodged my UQ from one shoulder!!)

If anyone can point me towards more write ups and how to's i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
    Its a fine line between a cuddle........
    and holding her down so she cant get away.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    UKMCPRO 3x3 DPM
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Or maybe i will just try using it with a ripstop nylon bed so there should be minimal stretching and no tears to the stitches???
    If i use smaller/shallower baffles at the edges and deeper/larger ones in the middle then any stretching will be allowed for and will still give room for the down to loft.
    Its a fine line between a cuddle........
    and holding her down so she cant get away.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RE8ELD0G View Post
    Or maybe i will just try using it with a ripstop nylon bed so there should be minimal stretching and no tears to the stitches???
    If i use smaller/shallower baffles at the edges and deeper/larger ones in the middle then any stretching will be allowed for and will still give room for the down to loft.
    If you want to reduce stretching to the minimum I would use polyester instead of nylon. Polyester stretches less as a material and the ripstop so often associated with nylon is of negligible benefit in hammock use.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts