Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    there is the BMT section through the park that hikers can do instead of the AT. A lot nicer too.
    That's my plan for the next AT hike.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Ha ha, that cracked me up!
    I'm one of those weirdos that can roll around in Poison Ivy naked and not develop a rash. Not a single rash on my AT hike and I know I walked thru and into several patches. As a result I don't often notice, or pay attention, to Poison Ivy. It may in fact be there.
    That is a real blessing for a backcountry hiker and hanger. Envy!

However, the problem is severe here is MS and all of the south. I often have to pass up many otherwise perfect trees, but I can still always find a place to hang. I'm sure it would be more of a problem here on the ground, trying to find a dry, flat root free spot that also did not have poison ivy.

Images
    there is the BMT section through the park that hikers can do instead of the AT. A lot nicer too.
    I need to look into that! That park is really something, I love the place. I also want to soon check out Joyce Kilmer area and it's associated wilderness. But thank goodness I now know about the much closer Sipsey, thanks to HF folks. Actually, I knew about it for 30 years, but I probably would have never got there without a group hang.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I need to look into that! That park is really something, I love the place. I also want to soon check out Joyce Kilmer area and it's associated wilderness. But thank goodness I now know about the much closer Sipsey, thanks to HF folks. Actually, I knew about it for 30 years, but I probably would have never got there without a group hang.
    the Smokies have 900 miles of trails in the park and most are hardly used. You have the popular ones but still plenty of trails to be alone on.

I have been to Sipsey 3 times and it has never really appealed to me for some reason. The first time I went was the best time as we had a guy who knew the place like the back of his hand. We went off trail all over the place. The other two times we camped at the same place and did nothing. Maybe that is why since I like to explore and look around
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Images
    the Smokies have 900 miles of trails in the park and most are hardly used. You have the popular ones but still plenty of trails to be alone on.

I have been to Sipsey 3 times and it has never really appealed to me for some reason. The first time I went was the best time as we had a guy who knew the place like the back of his hand. We went off trail all over the place. The other two times we camped at the same place and did nothing. Maybe that is why since I like to explore and look around
    Well it seems there is plenty of off trail to be had there if you desire. The main thing for me is the water falls, especially when it has been raining. Some are quite spectacular. The other main thing for me is it is the closest place to me that has some significant topography/cliffs and is an actual "wilderness", though very small by my usual standards. Still, I found it very enjoyable considering it is an easy 2 hours from me, and I plan to be back.

But of course, it is not in the class ( except maybe waterfalls) of GSMNP.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Smokies are only a pain if you let them be. I hung outside the shelters, inside the shelters, at primitive campgrounds, and stealth. Pick your poison. If you don't want to risk a ranger/runner telling you "No" to hanging near the shelters, don't want to hang inside the shelters (which is way easy), and don't want to break any rules (stealthing) then I suggest bringing a map. Remember ONLY the AT section of the smokies prohibit hanging (ie; sleeping outside of shelters). There are many very fine campgrounds just a short distance down a blue blaze. No rules about hanging! Plus, some of those blues are downright stunning trails.
    Great information

campsite

There were a few of those to be sure! But, I didn't find a single primitive campground that I wouldn't have been able to easily hang. In fact, there is one particular site that I need to dig out the maps/guide/journal and find. It was a wonderful campground very near a waterfall with that perfect pitch for sleeping. Huge boulders all over the place and about 8 trees ideal for hanging a hammock from. Maybe 2 miles down from the AT on a blue and prior to Clingman's Dome by maybe a day or two.

Sorry for the digression, I'm feeling a little misty today.
    If south of Clingmans Dome, sounds like Anthony Creek #9, it is a great one.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    If south of Clingmans Dome, sounds like Anthony Creek #9, it is a great one.
    Thanks for the tip! I didn't pay any attention to the site numbers when I was strolling thru, so it's going to be tough to determine which one it was. Might just have to go hiking again.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123