Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

WBRR finally set up correctly and uber comfy

OK, I finally got things right with the set up of my WBRR and have a better idea of the comfort that all of you guys have been raving about. I have never been able to get it to work worth a dang on my Vario stand, which is where I do most of my testing over time with all of my other hammocks. But until I build another stand, it's trees only for this baby.

I hiked in a mile or so and picked a couple of hill top trees. Once again, the two trees picked turned out to be just barely long enough. I used my iPhone to actually set the angle at 25 degrees, or pretty dang close.(Though I noticed after I was done hanging it was closer to 30*) I had the head slightly lower, opposite of my JRBs. The cinch buckles were just a few inches from the trees.

It was totally comfortable, much closer to what every one has been saying, maybe the most comfy all round of any. First, it was plenty stable. ( I did not have the short middle bar in) Probably not quite as stable as either of my JRBs, but more than adequate. Last time I hung in these woods, I felt like I could possibly role out during my sleep, especially if I got on my side and leaned back into the side of my hammock like I love to do with my JRBs, especially my old and deep model. (maybe I had it too tight?) Not as stable as a JRB, but still more than stable enough, today. I leaned back into the sides and had enough support in my back, I would have to really push it to roll over those tight edges. Near impossible to do so by accident in my old JRB, and hard to do with this WBRR. Good enough.

Previously, I felt that comfort on my back was unsurpassed and if you include leg comfort on my back, maybe unequaled. But I did not feel like side comfort quite matched my JRBs or some of my non-bridges. But today that was all up to par. It might be a little easier to get more fetal than my JRBs and especially my deeper older JRB, and equal comfort with legs straight. So I guess that makes the RR the winner vs the JRBs in this area by a small amount.

As far as back comfort, equal to the JRBs but with more shoulder room especially compared to my deep oldie. So I guess that makes the RR the winner here also. Oh yes, it also made for a very comfy seat. Uh Oh, now I may have to buy one of those custom fit WB UQs!

So I guess that is it, right? Well, maybe not. While I will have to declare the RR as slightly more comfortable than my JRBs in all areas per today's test, I am still not ready to abandon my JRBs ( or some of my non-bridge) for trail use. Because my JRBs are still super comfy for me. Not near as much shoulder room, but still plenty for me. The shoulders just don't bother me in the JRBS, even less bother with the UL, and I feel so snug with the quilts in the JRBs, less room at the sides for the quilt edges to go wandering, seems to me anyway. And the JRB length with suspension is maybe several feet less, and the UL is several oz lighter. And the spreader bars are 8 or 10" wider in the RR, making what is already a tarp issue even more of one. So the JRBs are still very comfy for me, I have had some really nice sleeping in them out on the trail, and they have some advantages of their own. At least on the trail. So I am not ready to throw them out just yet! And then there are the non-bridges and their advantages.

And as I said in a recent thread, even in my HH Explorer UL, if I go to fetal position, it is equal to or greater in comfort than any hammock I have, period! It is more comfy in fetal than any of my bridge hammocks, because there is more room for my knees. It would be as comfy on my back except for leg comfort, which is no match for any bridge, and it can't compete for side sleeping with legs straight. Still, lots of comfy positions including some of my favorite ways to sleep. It is lighter, shorter and has no bars to fool with. It's no match for ease of use with an UQ, but then I do like my Super Shelter on it. Not that I am pushing the HH Explorer UL as my fav, but it is pretty good IMO, and some other non-bridges are as good or maybe better.

Anyway, today I found the WBRR very comfy in all positions, though not a match for fetal position compared to many non-bridges, but still pretty good. And also very stable. Now I have a better idea of what Y'all have been talking about. Who knows, it may draw me away from all others someday!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-30-2013 at 22:01.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images

RR

I loved my first one ( DL w/net) so much, I got another (DL w/o net)! You got me so enthused, I'm going to break one of mine out this week for an afternoon nap.

If a person likes pads for winter, this is the hammock for them. If you're careful getting in, a pad does not move. Nor does it shift during the night...at least it doesn't for me. On that same front, I can easily get in a sleeping bag in my RR, it just pretty much stays put while I get in it. But...I look like I'm dancing on my back when I try to use a bag with a gathered end. Some are good at it I guess; I end up looking like I'm in a fight with the bag...and losing!

I also agree with you about side sleeping in the RR compared to gathered ends. When I lay on my side in my BB, my feet tuck right into that ole footbox like it is sewn around my feet. I'm kind of in a semi fetal position, and a RR cannot match that comfort level in that position IMO. But in all other areas, laying on my back, sitting, etc., the RR rules.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    BillyBob58,,I forgot to mention that the RR is ADDICTIVE! (for bridge lovers). Be warned,,the more you use it,,and like it,,the less your other bridges will get used. I know your very devoted to your JRB's and you have every right to be so..so I would advise not using the RR too much if at all. (I still have my BMBH UL and got it out a while ago to lay in it,,but it just wasn't the same.)

I sold my jrb and never looked back,plus you can see out of the RR.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    BillyBob58,,I forgot to mention that the RR is ADDICTIVE! (for bridge lovers). Be warned,,the more you use it,,and like it,,the less your other bridges will get used. I know your very devoted to your JRB's and you have every right to be so..so I would advise not using the RR too much if at all. (I still have my BMBH UL and got it out a while ago to lay in it,,but it just wasn't the same.)
    Well I better not get in it again then!

Quote Originally Posted by beachbunny View Post
    I sold my jrb and never looked back,plus you can see out of the RR.
    Yep, that is a nice benefit. I can see the increased shoulder room no doubt. And that is nice but not that important to me. And at least today, I could get my knees up a little bit further in fetal, but not a whole lot. Do Y'all also find that to be the case, about the knees? But then again, if I really need fetal, my HH and other GEs are a lot better.

But other than what I just mentioned, I'm not finding much comfort dif compared to either of my JRBs. In what other ways are you guys ( and any one else who wishes to comment) significantly more comfy? I'm just not seeing it right now, maybe with more use like Acer says. Except for the shoulder room thing, I'm not finding the bridges to vary as much as the GEs. I also really like the very light Grizz Bridge.

However, I do not at all care for the significantly longer length or the wider bars. I mean they give all that shoulder room, but then there is the tarp to deal with.

But I will keep hanging in it until I find enough extra comfort to make up for the length and bars! Oh, I really love the net, but a simple mod on my JRB UL will do the same thing, and my older one has a fully removable net that stays well above my face. I used to hate that omnitape net, but as I learned some tricks to use it it grew on me and I love it! Go figure!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-31-2013 at 08:11.

Hammock
    Switchback/Lite Owl/WBRR
    Tarp
    CamoPalace/BMJ/TH
    Insulation
    Greylock3/ProdigyX
    Suspension
    Any
    Returning my BMBH UL for refund was the hardest outdoor transaction I had ever done. Not because of difficulty of communicating or shipping, quite the contrary, just because the Jacks made it so darned pleasant and were so helpful that I felt guilty doing it in the first place.

Pre and post purchase assistance was amazing. They are a class act second to none.

When I decided to give bridges another shot, and bought a RR, the difference was night and day. In the shoulders to be more specific. I have never spent much time fussing with the RR hang angles like with my GE's ('cept maybe my Switchback). It's usually dark when I set up on the trail. It's never hung uncomfortably for me. I notice very little difference in the lay due to hang angles. Probably due to it's spaciousness for my frame size? Fourteen boot lengths and I'm golden.

The RR is the one so far that I will never willingly get rid of. Have not tried a pad yet. I hear it is amazing. It must be because it already is without one...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whoofit View Post
    Returning my BMBH UL for refund was the hardest outdoor transaction I had ever done. Not because of difficulty of communicating or shipping, quite the contrary, just because the Jacks made it so darned pleasant and were so helpful that I felt guilty doing it in the first place.

Pre and post purchase assistance was amazing. They are a class act second to none.

When I decided to give bridges another shot, and bought a RR, the difference was night and day. In the shoulders to be more specific. I have never spent much time fussing with the RR hang angles like with my GE's ('cept maybe my Switchback). It's usually dark when I set up on the trail. It's never hung uncomfortably for me. I notice very little difference in the lay due to hang angles. Probably due to it's spaciousness for my frame size? Fourteen boot lengths and I'm golden.

The RR is the one so far that I will never willingly get rid of. Have not tried a pad yet. I hear it is amazing. It must be because it already is without one...
    I also returned my 1st JRB BMBH, one of the 1st ones to come out. I think lack of shoulder room and instability were my concerns, and I didn't give it a lot of time/trial because I wanted to get in under the 30 days no questions asked policy. Later I thought maybe I did not give it a fair trial and got another- no WB option at that time. It became one of my favorite hammocks and remains so all these years later. Even the original model which has the least shoulder room has proven to be no problem for me. But if it was a comfort problem for me, then the WBRR would be the obvious cure as far as bridge hammocks go. At the cost of much wider spreader bars.

And BTW, a pad can be amazing in a BMBH Deluxe. This is the original "amazing with a pad" hammock. Using a wide TR Neoair, if I am remembering correctly, my shoulders did not even contact the sides of the hammock, and hard to get better than that. I could also pull my knees all the way up in fetal. But, I can't lean my back into the sides because it is not insulated by an UQ. Unless I rigged something up with extra CCF to make up for no UQ covering the sides.

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    The RR can give an amazing flat lay, but I find it gets even flatter when I use my exped LW synmat. Super comfy.... especially when compared with ground dwelling.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I will be hanging in my RR this weekend with a nice wide partially inflated pad. Super nice!!!

BillyBob, I didn't think you would ever even try another bridge with the way you love your JRB's. They are nice hammocks.
    "No whining in the woods"

Formerly Known as Sespe Drifter Jerven's Avatar
    Hammock
    Shelltowee Boone 20
    Tarp
    Need one
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    buckles&straps
    How wide of inflatable pads will fit in the WBRR?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast