Hammock
    HH Exped zip
    Tarp
    HH stock tarp
    Insulation
    WM CCF pad
    Suspension
    Stock suspension
    I am loving the tips and ideas you all have! Thank you!

GIHanger: that is an awesome pack set up you have. I will have to model mine after yours.

Outdoorsman: the 5 gal bucket potty is what I currently have in my camping gear. I used that when I ran the Mojave Rd. (125 mile off road trip in the desert). I thought it worked great and was easy to follow the pack it in, pack it out rules with the sealable lid.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

Planning a 4 month long road trip with kids

You may find a Biolite stove handy. It will charge everybody's phones and toy while you cook. Over four months the saving in foul will pay for it and the grill.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    You sound a lot like a woman who tried the same thing on the Appalachian Trail with her five kids. Her biggest problem was capital. Her kids blew through shoes, packs, jackets, etc. so fast she ran into trouble. Be sure you have plenty of money to fund your adventure and a good credit card you can rely on for food, gas, replacement equipment and emergencies. Best of luck to you.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    When you get to planning the Florida stage, check out the following websites:

Florida State Forest Recreation At-a-Glance Guide

St. John's Water Management Recreation Guide

Ocala National Forest Recreation Page

Osceola National Forest Recreation Page

Apalachicola National Forest Recreation Page

Florida National Scenic Trail Association (they have an interactive map somewhere on there that will help with campground planning and any hikes you want to do on the trail)

Florida State Parks (note: here you'll want to check ahead as to whether the particular park has been cleared for hammocks, and you'll need 1" webbing for your tarp in addition to the hammock; if you run into trouble with the local rangers not knowing what's going on [hammocks just started to be allowed outside the trial period this past April], I've got the hammock coordinator's e-mail address somewhere, so PM me)

Cumberland Island National Seashore (admittedly, this one's in GA, but it's right over the border)

I'm, personally, most familiar with the campgrounds around north-central FL, with some experience to the east and west of Gainesville, as well as having stayed in Ocala a few times. If you need on-the-ground info on those, let me know; if I've stayed there, I'll be glad to help.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    You've received some great advice so far. I would like to emphasize that it will be rare to find enough trees to accommodate six hammocks on one campsite in most commercial or state campgrounds. If you do consider yourself lucky. It's one of the reasons we try to find national forests when we camp as you can pretty much camp anywhere and there are normally plenty of trees.

I would investigate alternative ways to hang your hammocks of which there are many. Sounds like you and your family have the right attitude to make this a fabulous adventure. Definitely make a few practice runs once you have all your gear, including a few state park trips.

I've traveled cross country a few times while using hammocks. I now always travel with my Turtle Dog stand if I have the slightest doubt of finding suitable trees.

Good luck, Miguel

Hammock
    HH Exped zip
    Tarp
    HH stock tarp
    Insulation
    WM CCF pad
    Suspension
    Stock suspension
    Mikeinajeep: I will check into that stove. It sounds fantastic!

Going through gear is a concern of mine as well. I am constantly working with my kids to be good stewards of their belongings not just for this trip, but for all things they own. It was a value my parents instilled in me when I was young and it has served me well throughout my life. Hopefully my kiddos will follow suit!

Finding places to hang 5 hammocks is probably my biggest concern. Which is why I am definitely looking into some type of stand system we can use. I have 5 acres of land so setting up a good practice spot at home will be easy to do.

FLRider: thanks for all of the good Florida links. I'm glad that they will be safely catalogued here so I can refer back to them during my planning.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    how old are the kids? That can make a big difference in how much help they are and how heavy duty you need to be.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Instead of a TD stand, take a look at this type of stand.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=34776

I have one pole and the stakes ready to use any time I end up car camping in an organized campground. The campgrounds tend to clear out a central camping area of all trees so that they're all around the outside and not available in pairs. This stand can be used along with 1 tree. Heck, given a good enough tree in the middle of a campsite, you could use it 5 times over with everybody hanging outward like the spokes in a wheel.

What I like about it is that it consists of only 1 piece of conduit. 5 of them at 6 1/2 feet will fit in a large dia. piece of PVC on the roof rack - out of the way until you need them.

Hammock
    HH Exped zip
    Tarp
    HH stock tarp
    Insulation
    WM CCF pad
    Suspension
    Stock suspension
    Nothermark: by the time we leave next year my kids will be 7 and 8 years old. I have been teaching the two oldest how to tie knots, which they now practice on their own and they have all watched me set up the hammock. I haven't let them tie the hammock up themselves as I'm still kind of learning myself. Once I get it down, I will let them give it a go.

The old boot: I have looked at that thread before, too. I like the way it works. That video I watched with guy who had the 4runner did something similar but only with a shorter pole.
    Last edited by Henny Jenny; 10-31-2013 at 23:26. Reason: Link did not work

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The reason I asked is at that age you will be doing most of the work. They may want to help but they do not have the coordination or strength to do things like drive in a heavy stake. They also have different interests than, say, 12 and 14 year olds. People need to keep that in mind when offering advice.

FWIW I tripped with my kids for a week at a time back then. I think you need to build a couple of slack days into each week. If you don't you will pound yourself to bits. I would also be very tempted to stay with the tent, a cot for you and pads for the kids for another year or two. They can roll their beds or stuff them in a sack but they cannot assemble a hammock setup safely and reliably. Another year or two and the older one's will be able to take on some of that work so it will be easier on everyone. They will be busy and you will have less to do.

I would also look at some of the chuck box ideas on the internet. I would set something like that up inside the tailgate so you can open up and be making food that fast. I did it with a home built P/U cap with the kitchen down the side. Don't make the box(s) huge or you will not be able to handle them. The ideal is to open up and be able to reach the bread, knife, peanut butter and milk without a hassle. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast