Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    And thanks for the map with multi colored lines, it helped picture where you were at each day.
    I second what TallPaul said. It really helps following your route
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Nice trip report and pics, looks like a future trip for sure.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Insulhammock
    Insulation
    gigantic beer gut
    Suspension
    Never got caught
    good trip report and thanks for the link to their website

Hammock
    DL with Bug Net
    Tarp
    Guid Gear Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Down UQ, SB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

GSMNP 4 Night Hang, 5 Day Hike

Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed the photos

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like an amazing trip! I am very envious. Nice trip report and pics. Thanks!
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great trip report!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring

Smoky

Sounds like a great trip and have been on a lot of those trails and fished the creeks (Hazal) many times as I live in Maryville TN. If you come down at Christmas you should look at staying in Townsand as it is right outside of the park and a good jumping off point.

Your trip looked great and I totally understand why you hike the mountains as I went to U of Dayton and tried hiking OH but it is flat. Did like the southeast area as it does get more up and down. Let me know if you have a questions on the area for your next trip. By the way even though the park was closed they did not stop anybody from walking in on the trails and my wife and I enjoyed the closure for that.

Peace

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    @everybody!
    Thanks for all your kind comments.

@JollyGreen
    It was a great trip, but my feet are still complaining after being off the trail for 5 days. I only got a couple of tiny blisters, but my right foot has some sort of deep bruise or strong muscle pain. We routed our trip up and over the AT ridge so many times because we were trying to bag trails we had not done yet, while avoiding staying in shelters and also hitting old favorites like Rockytop and Gregory Bald. As such, it would not be my first recommendation for a trip in the Smokies.

If I ever do eagle creek again, it will be with a fly rod. That upper stretch is brutally steep. As for Jenkins ridge.... twice is enough. That 2nd day was one of the hardest hiking days I have ever had.

@Caonoefor2
    We have stayed in Townsend area a few times. Fell in love with The Firefly Cafe last Christmas when we visited. We have also liked staying in Wears Valley, since it is so easy to get in the park there at Metcalf Bottoms picnic area.

Yeah, hiking even in Southern Ohio just isn't the same. You get some good elevation changes, but hardly any views.... and the ones you get aren't worth much in comparison. I'm hooked on the 5000ft+ spruce fir forests of the smokies.

One good thing about the park closure was an abundance of firewood at the campsites we stayed at. We didn't have to go far to find dead branches that fell from the trees.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    echoing what has been said really enjoyed the route map. I am still trying to figure out if you crossed the river 17 times? really loved the photos. one if is my desktop at work.. sorta makes me feel like I am outside.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    @Silverpalm2x
    According to "Hiking Trails of the Smokies", there are 17 major creek crossings on Eagle Creek Trail. There is one bridged crossing along Eagle Creek Trail at the south end of the trail, but after that there are 17 crossings. The last one is just north of campsite 97.

When I did this trail 15 years ago, the water came up to my upper thigh at the lower crossings. Back then, we did it in early spring and all the trails were muddy from recent rain and snow melt, so the water was high, fast and super cold... and it was snowing.

On this trip, the water was knee high. Given our past experience, we opted to put on sandals at the first crossing and keep them on until we got to 97. We were prepared to go ahead and cross the last major crossing on the North side of 97 and camp there, but that was unnecessary, since we found we would be able to rock hop that last major crossing with our boots on.

Perhaps on one or two of the crossings, we could have rock hopped if we pushed through the rhododendron upstream a bit, but that is tiring work. It was easiest to just leave the sandals on.

It was also wonderful to do the crossings with trekking poles. That was a luxury that we lacked 15 years ago.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12