Hammock
    Switchback/Lite Owl/WBRR
    Tarp
    CamoPalace/BMJ/TH
    Insulation
    Greylock3/ProdigyX
    Suspension
    Any
    I've helped some of my family members sleep better by stringing up some tarred twine around their sleep areas. From this I strung the pots, cups and utencils in a way they would make noise if the twine was bumped.
    I was told once that a false alarm was comforting cuz they could hear it and now knew they would if the "threat" was real.
    Of course this was a psychological security blanket type deal. We don't really have biting dogs around here...

As for me, if, the sleepless night is only sometimes a problem on night one. By night two I'm like the walking dead by supper time night two. Sleep like a baby then.

Hammock
    Equip Travel hammock
    Tarp
    Monsoon 70d
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    You mean you woke up with the dog biting you?
    Yup, was a little Boston Terrier. I found the owner and called the Sherriffs Department. Told the owner, if it had bit my daughter we would be having a not so friendly discussion.
    Also found it had killed one of the stray cats running around.
    It is better to have and not need than to need and not have!

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    It's a matter of time. The first solo night, I got no sleep. The second was better. After a couple dozen nights, I finally was able to sleep through the night. I use ear plugs to drown out the creepy night time noises. The only time I wake up now ... is when nature calls. Give it time and you'll be sleeping like a baby.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    I don't leave home without these. I don't want to hear what is getting ready to eat me...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Three pages of comments on the 'waking up in a nightmare with my loaded pistol in my hand' situation and nobody has suggested leaving the gun at home?
    I don't see how adding drugs and alcohol to the situation would make it any safer.

I agree, I don't want to be at a group hang with him. I say leave the pistol at home,and take some tylenol PM to help you sleep. You may want to take some bear spray to make you feel a little safer.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup
    I've always had a pistol and probably always will. I've tried melatonin and that doesn't work for me. Normally I fall asleep within 5 minutes at home and only wake up when the house alarm goes off (it's happened once - dang cat got the door open). I'll try Tylenol pm next time out and see what happens.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Generally, sounds of the wild don't bother me. However, while testing gear in my own yard I hear sounds that can make it tough to sleep.

We have a heavily wooded yard in a suburban neighborhood. Just last weekend I was about to fall asleep while testing my cold weather gear when I hear footsteps in the dry leaves. I was thinking, "Oh great, who the heck is walking around my yard in the middle of the night?" As I listened, the steps got closer and closer so I yelled out something about getting out of my yard....it was a bit more colorful than that but you get the idea.

Well that did not make any difference at all and the footsteps kept coming and sounded like they were getting very close. So I jumped out of my comfy nest, grabbed my flashlight and swept the area.

It is absolutely amazing how the hopping of a fluffy little bunny sounds just like a person walking. Took a while to get the heart rate down and get to sleep but I finally did.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by zooshooter View Post
    So far I have had the same problem but I'm a restless sleeper regardless and tend to wake anywhere from 3-7 times a night whether camping or not. It really sucks when I'm hiking because I'll get exhausted halfway through the 2nd day and still won't sleep well that night. I'm tempted to try actual sleep medication or perhaps an antihistamine like Benadryl, which I hear makes it near impossible to stay awake.
    Benadryl works for me.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    DOn't take Advil/Tylenol PM with Benadryl. The sleep inducing part of the PM products is the active ingredient in Benadryl. I carry Benadryl and ibuprofen as separate items for that reason.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    From my experience, unless I'm extremely tired at the end of a hike I don't sleep very well. The second night however I'm out immediately because I'm doing dishes, filtering water, getting more firewood, exploring, Etc...

And what "TallPual" said is also true.

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Embrace it. I enjoy waking in the night and seeing the clouds whipping by on a moon lit night. Then take a nap during the day.
    I'm not sure what area you live in, but sassafras grows in most places in south. I usually keep a small root in my bag with some extra white sugar. And if I run out I can go look for some more. If you take the root of a sassafras tree though, you can cut slits in it, and boil it in water with some sugar(there isn't an exact measurement), I some made some of it at 3-4 in the morning, and it really helped. Moonlight walks also work...
    Jonah,
    Then Jonah said, "I am a Hebrew, I worship Yahweh, the god of the heavens, who made the sea, and dry land.".
    Jonah 1:9 HCSV

"If the Arabs put down their guns, there would be no more war. If Israel put down their guns, there would be no more Israel."
    -Yoni Netanyahu

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast