Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab

SoCal Hangers 2nd Annual Group Hang!>Cleveland National Forest>March 14th-16th, 2014

Well friends, it's official... The Second Annual SoCal Hangers group hang has been booked.

Friday March 14th through Sunday the 16th (This is a week earlier than previously discussed because of availability at the site)

My hope was that we could get some momentum going for SoCal hangers as I think we've been a bit underrepresented out here and it looks like that dream has come to fruition.

We will be at the group known as "Yarrow" at the Falcon Group Campground (next door to last year's BlueJay location in the Cleveland National Forest).

Falcon Group campground is off the Ortega Highway in the mountains just west of Lake Elsinore. It's certainly cold enough, has plenty of trees, is open year round, is removed from the city, and is close enough to civilization that an escape route is feasible. There is water (non-potable) and vault toilets present.

The group site is quite large (up to 70 people with parking for 10 automobiles). I have no delusions about getting 70 people out there, but at it will give us plenty of space to spread out, park, and hopefully avoid any OC Brosephs blasting music into the night.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...ex=CampingSpot

So here's what I'll need from you:

1) Confirmation that you will be going in this thread

2) Payment of $15 per person ($10 per kids)
    I paid $249 up-front for the group campsite and would like to get it back when I can.
    Please send your payment in to PayPal at the address [email protected] when you can
    If I collect more than $240 I will put it towards wood, water, or other group supplies that might come up.

3) Be prepared to come up and have a great time

There is plenty of hiking in the area. Last year, SoCal Mike hiked out to Sitton Peak. The trailhead is down the Ortega Hwy toward San Juan Capistrano, about 5 minutes by car. You will need an Adventure Pass to park in the lot across the street from the candy store. The hike is ~10 miles roundtrip and takes me about 4 hours, with a nice break at the peak. It is not very difficult EXCEPT for the final 1/4 mile to the peak. It is very steep at that point. But it offers one of the best views of Orange County and beyond.

We will have a potluck on Saturday night where everybody brings something for the group to share. We had a fine assortment of Carne Asada, Chili, Smoked Salmon, Potatoes, Cornbread, Jalapeño Poppers, and about a half dozen other items that really hit the spot. This seemed to be one of the things most enjoyed by everyone so please be sure to plan for it.

Let's plan on bringing out not only our hammock gear, but also any backpacking or outdoors gear we have so everybody can take a look at how others rough it. I'm always impressed by new technology and especially DIY stuff. If anyone wants to ask questions about those and how they're made, that's great. Bring a few extra items, even if they don't need them, so we can all take a look and learn from everybody's different rigs.

Non-hangers are welcome to come out for the weekend and take a look at what they are missing. Just make sure they are prepared to hear a whole lot of hammock geek talk!

Well-behaved kids are welcome. Especially since we will be occupying such a large space. It was great to see the kids that came along last year learning about hammocking and backpacking. Car camping tends to lead to (at least) a fair share of oat sodas being consumed and spreading out will help make sure the kids aren't adversely affected by any questionable behavior. We did a good share of drinking at the first group hang and I imagine suit will follow this time. Upon arrival, please be sure to leave a section of the large site for people that might want to put their kids to bed relatively early and away from carousing. This is an experience for everyone and we want to make sure people feel comfortable coming out.

Well-behaved dogs are also welcome. Park regulations require them to remain on a leash.

Lastly, we received some feedback regarding the SoCal hangers emblem having a whiskey bottle on it. The concern was that it represents an activity that not all of the Hammockforums.net community condones. Which I think is totally reasonable. If you'll notice, on the emblem I have taken out references to Hammockforums.net and left only the text displaying "SoCal Hangers". This way we can retain the spirit cultivated by the group last year without representing hammockforums.net directly. If you use the emblem for patches, signage, stickers, etc... please use the graphic without the hammockforums.net lettering.

Items to bring:

1) Hammock Rig

2) Drinking Water!!! The campground is listed as having potable water but my buddy and I got sick from it last time.

3) At least one bundle of firewood, per person for each night staying. I'm bringing two to be safe. I love a fire.

4) Potluck Dish of some sort for Saturday dinner

5) Toilet paper. There are supplied vault toilets but it is better to be safe than rely on the forestry service.

6) Other Camping Gear you think others would benefit by seeing.

7) Obvious stuff like food, water, clothes, bourbon, etc...

Directions:

From the 15 (East Side):

Take Exit 77 to get on to Highway 74
    Head West (Towards the lake)
    Right on Collier (light)
    Left on Riverside Dr (light)
    Pass the lake
    Riverside Drive curves to the left and becomes Grand
    Turn Rght on Ortega Highway 74 up the mountain
    Go up the hill to just a mile or two past the crest
    Get off the highway by making a right at No. Main Divide road
    No. Main Divide road is just before a campground on the right
    Take the paved road in the middle (DO NOT GO TO THE SITE RIGHT BY THE HIGHWAY)
    You will go about 15 minutes back and likely feel like you have gone too far.
    Look for potholes and narrow roads.
    Follow Signs to Falcon Group Campsite
    Yarrow Is at the end

From the 5 (West Side):

Take Exit 82 to get on to Highway 74
    Head East (Into the Mountains) for about 23 miles
    Make a left on to No. Main Divide road just after the fire station (on the right)
    No. Main Divide road is just after a campground on the left
    Take the paved road in the middle (DO NOT GO TO THE SITE RIGHT BY THE HIGHWAY)
    You will go about 15 minutes back and likely feel like you have gone too far.
    Look for potholes and narrow roads.
    Follow Signs to Falcon Group Campsite
    Yarrow Is at the end

Anybody have any ideas for activities beyond what is listed above? A poker game perhaps? Bean bag tosses? Horseshoes? Raffle? Scavenger hunt for the kids? List your ideas below!

Now that all of that's out of the way... Let's get the ball rolling and the sheets hanging!

Yours in hanging,
    Addam
    (AKA: WillieCash)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WillieCash; 10-31-2013 at 16:34.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL/ HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Depends on Weather
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have horse shoes. My kids love to go on GeoCashe hunts-- we could either go hunting in the area or make a cashe.

How about a car trunk sale for gear?
    I'll be bringing my 7 year old.

I have a big truck so if someone wants to hitch a ride I live in the Riverside area.
    Nothing I do is done by popular demand.
    Steve Martin

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Great suggestion!

I'm always down for some horseshoes!

Let's see how many kids will be coming out and we can see who wants to take the lead on planning some activities for them.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    I'm in, $$ sent!
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I've got some DIY cornhole boards ill bring, and if its cool ill make those jalapeno poppers again.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Glad to hear you can make it, I thought with the date change it might be difficult.

GI-JOE 077 will be happy to hear about anything involving cornholing.

And of course the Cornhole game is DIY! I'm surprised you didn't build your truck from scratch!

Those Jalepeno Poppers were outstanding.

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    Find your tree, quiet area in the back with a fire pit.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XVxhe16...%3DXVxhe16L94M
    Last edited by arczeneb; 10-31-2013 at 23:44.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieCash View Post
    Glad to hear you can make it, I thought with the date change it might be difficult.

GI-JOE 077 will be happy to hear about anything involving cornholing.

And of course the Cornhole game is DIY! I'm surprised you didn't build your truck from scratch!

Those Jalepeno Poppers were outstanding.
    Haha yea I just swapped some stuff on my calender and it should be all good. Oh and unfortunatley my diy skills end at the sewing machine, trust me the cornhole boards will show that. And I'm glad you liked those poppers ill have some more of that diy bacon.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Ah, here's the correct thread! I'll already be taking a few days off in Jan for my gf's birthday, but hopefully she and I can make the hang! I'll just be sure to not miss any days in Feb and go in if they need me on a day off
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    I should be able to make it...date looks ok to me

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast