Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images

New to Forum

Hi all, New to this forum. I’ve built a few shelters in the past and been looking at hammocks for several years. I held off on buying one due to the extra expense on setting up for Winter… Well, I can’t stand it any longer, so I’m trying to find the one that fits a side sleeper the best. Just looking around to see what everyone is using.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    Welcome!
    I'm a side sleeper only in bed, probably a comfort issue. In the hammock I almost always sleep diagonally on my back. You might try to make a simple gathered end hammock from a large cotton/nylon/polyester sheet to see if you really need the ability to sleep on your side.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Instant-Hammock/

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I've been considering buying the ENO Single or Doublenest to play with around the house and lake... thanks for the site, may do that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet B-bird
    Tarp
    WB MJ /SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti, leg pad/pack
    Suspension
    Whoooooooopie
    Images
    I move a lot while sleeping, so I have slept on my back, side, and twisted(half side/halfback). I seem to spend more time on my back in my BB. I think I'm more comfy, and don't move as much.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." Gen. George S. Patton

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    One of the great things about hammocks is that you can sleep in positions that you can't in any other system.

Hennessy's will allow you to sleep on your side (but so will most good hammocks, so I hear) and they are a nearly complete system "out of the box." The one caveat to that is bottom insulation, but I think that you can get that (undercover/underpad) for free when you spend a certain amount of $$ buying directly from Hennessy.

_Most_ other hammock systems will require you to buy the different parts separately, to which there is some big advantages though. That's worth keeping in mind. Take your time and surf around here, and ask questions. People are very helpful. Also make sure you go to tothewoods.net. JustJeff has most of the information that you'll need to make an educated purchase, in a organized fashion there.
    Last edited by guySmiley; 04-17-2009 at 12:58.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Side sleeper, here. Also side and back, back, and stomach. I have a Warbonnet Blackbird that works fine and gives me room to sprawl, especially with an underquilt or the wide evazote from Gossamer Gear in the pad pocket. Also, agree with those who say back sleeping is very possible in a hammock when you are very comfortable. I think I do thrash around a lot in my sleep - the cat tends to be sleeping on a different part of the bed when I wake up.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Side sleeper here as well, but in my SBPro I end up sleping on my back diagonally, on my sides, and on my stomach. I actually sleep better in my hammock than i do in my bed at home.
    Chris

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    I love the feeling of being right between laying on your back and laying on your side, just not possible on a bed. Most nights I awake in the exact position as I fell asleep.

My king size heated water bed has been broken down and will be on craig's list soon.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Just wish there was a hammock store with all the brands set up to test close to home, you know,,, just like a furniture store. Go in, sit/lay on it and test everything out, then pick the one or however many you want.

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Just wish there was a hammock store with all the brands set up to test close to home, you know,,, just like a furniture store. Go in, sit/lay on it and test everything out, then pick the one or however many you want.
    That would be convenient, that's for sure. The only way you're going to get anything like that is to go to one of the hangouts that people put together on this board or go to Trail Days (where most of the backpacking gear manufacturing types gather).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast