Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* and 20* UQ
    Suspension
    slings w/marlin sp
    Images

Trouble with zing-it taper catching

I have been doing some splicing, and cannot figure what I am doing wrong. I've tried long and short tapers and tapers with more or fewer stands pulled out. I can splice Ansel quite easily now, but I feel like I am missing something here. Can anyone give me some advice about how they taper 1.75 zing-it?

The worst part? I have already made a ton of lines for my Superfly... Somehow I've lost the touch.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I'm not sure what part you're having trouble with, but here's a blurry vid I did some time back and photos as well.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...3&postcount=32 Turn your sound off. Taper at about 2:20

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...1&postcount=17 This just demostrates pulling a bury and I didn't include a locked brummel.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The thing I like in gmcttr's examples is his use of different size tools to prepare the line for splicing. If you have trouble pulling the tapered end into the bury you may need to enlarge the hole, either by pulling sideways on your splicing tool or using a fatter one first to make a bigger hole.

Somewhere I read a description of doing a locked brummel that said to make a pass-through hole big enough you could use two fids through the same hole and twist them in opposite directions. You can't do that for a whoopie bury, but the underlying principle is the same - you can yank that line three ways from Sunday to open it up without damaging the braid strength.

One other thought - be sure you're not catching an individual thread when your splicing tool exits the bury. That's more likely to happen if the line you're splicing isn't brand new, too. Also, check for burrs on your splicing tool.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* and 20* UQ
    Suspension
    slings w/marlin sp
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I'm not sure what part you're having trouble with, but here's a blurry vid I did some time back and photos as well.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...3&postcount=32 Turn your sound off. Taper at about 2:20

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...1&postcount=17 This just demostrates pulling a bury and I didn't include a locked brummel.
    I can't watch the videos now, but specifically, when I pull the 4 strands into the bury, some of the remaining stands always get caught on the edge of the bury. Does this make sense?

Hammock
    11 ft DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* and 20* UQ
    Suspension
    slings w/marlin sp
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    The thing I like in gmcttr's examples is his use of different size tools to prepare the line for splicing. If you have trouble pulling the tapered end into the bury you may need to enlarge the hole, either by pulling sideways on your splicing tool or using a fatter one first to make a bigger hole.
    I will see if i can make the hole bigger. Perhaps I need a smaller toll once i get it all loosened up.

Thanks to you both.

• + New Posts